Clothing Suggestions - TA/Europe in April/May

emshawn

Hello!

First time in a long time cruiser here, and I will be boarding a TA cruise on the NCL Getaway on April 30th 2017 (I guess I'm eager?)

Our ports are-

Miami

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Brest, France

Southhampton, England

Brussels, Belgium

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Copenhagen, Denmark

plus lots of sea days!

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for dressing/packing? My current knowledge is basically prepare for everything - as a newfoundlander I'm pretty used to it but wouldn't mind some more input!

Thank you!

Emily

Miami will have t-shirt weather, for the rest bring what you would wear at home, rain jacket/wind breaker, thin sweater underneath, maybe a long sleeved blouse, t-shirt under that, layers!

My favorite personal outfit is: a thin undershirt without sleeves, a long sleeved shirt on top, a cotton/wool sweater with a zipper, a pashmina scarf, a windbreaker/rain jacket if needed. Alternative: a superwarm, very lightweight thinsulate jacket that can be folded into its own pocket. I also like my sleeveless wool west from New Zealand. But then, I am used to Florida temperatures.

It's a great itinerary. I would actually go to Bruegge instead of Brussels. It's closer to the port and very historic.

It will be quite chilly in Europe in April/May, even in the daytime, especially on the water. You might want a sweater and coat. Miami will be very warm but comfortable. Accuweather has great information.

Last year mid-June in Amsterdam I wore a sweater and leather jacket in the evening, and long sleeves with neck scarf in the daytime. 5 yrs ago at the end of June in Paris, we saw temps that ranged from 38-70. It was supposed to be summer. April is much colder.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello!

First time in a long time cruiser here, and I will be boarding a TA cruise on the NCL Getaway on April 30th 2017 (I guess I'm eager?)

Our ports are-

Miami

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Brest, France

Southhampton, England

Brussels, Belgium

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Copenhagen, Denmark

plus lots of sea days!

If you are just doing an NCL TA and returning to the US directly you can pack your NCL attire in a gym bag. However, if you will be enjoying a few days in Europe, that population actually dresses pretty well and will expect you do to also.

Think layers so you can be prepared for everything from very warm in Florida to possibly very cool in the North Atlantic. On our last TA we had really glorious sunny weather pretty much every day, but by the time we got up in the Bay of Biscay it was sunny but very cold. That didn't stop people from finding a sheltered spot for sunbathing, but the wind was biting.

Of course you'll have warm weather clothes, but also bring a windbreaker, hat and gloves. The last two don't take up much space, but if it is really cold on port days you'll be more comfortable.

Prepare for anything is a good idea! The layers that everyone has suggested is definitely the way to go. I took a TA last year...we left a couple weeks earlier. I overpacked in summery clothing and underpacked in my over layers. I definitely wish that I had brought more variety in sleeve length, another pair of pants and at least one more over layer.

My crossing was surprisingly cold. People were using the pool towels as blankets and bundling up on several days...the Norwegian Captain was joking about the weather and how in Norway, they called it summer. Highs were in the low 60s, which was exceedingly cool with the wind...and down right cold in the shade.

You have 10 Sea Days so definitely think about any activities that you might be doing on those days. There is a thermal suite on your ship. Ours was amazing and we loved it. If you are interested in something like that...you'll want to be prepared. Some ladies knew they were going to do that and brought product with them to apply in the steam rooms, etc. But this may impact how many swim suits/coverups/wet sandals you bring.

If you want to use the gym on sea days...

Otherwise, casual comfort is what most wore on sea days. Whatever that means to you. I was doing physical therapy every other day on our cruise, so I spent a lot of time in active wear. I was very comfortable in capris, a tank, a hoodie, socks, and sneakers.

Night time was a whole different story...IDK if it was because there were so many Europeans on the ship (a huge %)...or if it was just that everyone felt like they had so much time to spend getting ready for the evening, but the evenings on my TA were the dressiest of any cruise I have yet taken. The vibe was definitely that of people going out on the town...er, ship. I would say "stylin'" is the most accurate description because people could range in formality, but by and large the passengers looked like they had made an effort to get ready for their evening.

Hi,

I've done a few TA's and also have been on the Getaway. We are considering that 2017 sailing also.

A few tips:

Plan on the weather being at best in the 60's. We had sunny and glorious days in England, Sweden and CPH in the 70's in early May. It could have been much colder. Our crossing was also milder and calmer than expected with many opportunities to lay out on the deck. The pools on the Getaway are pathetic, so you won't be too impressed. The ship is designed for a young and active crowd.

My strategy for a spring TA is this:

- One pair of capri pants and a swim suit. Don't bother with sleeveless tops.

- Bring your workout clothes and good sports shoes.

- A few lightweight dresses and mix and match tops and bottoms suitable for dining. One pair of pretty black strappy shoes for dinner and dancing and one or two dressy sweaters for the evening.

- I love my smashable/packable straw hat. I also bring a visor that won't blow off for when I do my walking on the promenade.

- jeans and black pants for visiting ports in Europe. I like to keep "the black/grey" solid thing going in Europe. I'm not trying to look like a local, but you really stand out if you have vibrant prints. I don't want to advertise that I'm a tourist, even though it is obvious in some ports. I fit in much better on that northern route.

- Downy wrinkle release is a wonderful product.

- Many women in Europe dress in dark and solid colors with a splash of color and prints in a scarf. I like wearing very comfortable black shoes for touring the ports.

- Another poster is correct that people on a TA dress up a bit more for dinner but your NCL cruise will be probably less so because of freestyle. There is no dress up night- it is like "dress up or not". Men should pack a suit or at least a sport jacket. Formal gowns on NCL are not necessary. Make an effort to dress up a bit but don't go outside your comfort zone. NCL is just different.

Keeping the black/solid thing in mind helps for planning my outfits so that I can mix and match. Also, I do some handwashing of "delicates/underwear" in the sink but remember that there is a special a few times for laundry. You can stuff a bag for maybe $25 and they do a good job. I never put lace/or anything delicate that I would worry about. The clothes come back pressed and folded so nicely within one day. Totally worth it.

Edited by Markanddonna

Just a side note. I remember walking around in Rome with black pants, a black jacket and a rather subtle print top of white, black and torquoise. I felt like just that top made me scream "tourist!!!!". That experience taught me to do solids. So, now its: black pants, black jacket, solid top and a nice scarf.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a 26-day TA+Med (north coast as far as Venice) in April'15 with carryons only. Here is my air-travel outfit:

l.jpg

The "blazer" actually represents a long ramie cardigan in those colors.

and what I packed:

l.jpg

The pants and the "toppers" were each a different weight/warmness. I would recommend another long-sleeved shirt subbing for a short-sleeved one. In fact, I had intended to pack more long-sleeved, but only tried on a couple I had mail-ordered at the last minute and discovered they were woefully too small!

For some reason I didn't include on my final collages: jewelry, two or three scarves, my crushable black bowler, and a fabric "monk's bag" I took for SX.

Substitute your own colors and garments! I recommend quick-dry tops for longer trips if you intend to hand-wash in the sink. And that skirt turned out to wrinkle like crazy; I will wear a broom-stick style in the future.