Which side for Alaska

jimd909

Which side for Alaska (Glacier Bay) round trip from Seattle? Port or starboard?

It doesn't really matter. You should up up on deck getting the whole 306 degree view, not in your room. But, at any rate, the ship is turned several times while in Glacier Bay affording good views from all sides.

It doesn't really matter. You should up up on deck getting the whole 306 degree view, not in your room. But, at any rate, the ship is turned several times while in Glacier Bay affording good views from all sides.

I agree - you want to be out and about going from stem to stern, up and down, and everything in between to get the full majesty of Glacier Bay and All of Alaska actually.

Our TA recommended starboard side for the trip.
As others said, it doesn't really matter because when you are in a scenic area you shouldn't be on your own balcony. Half of what there is to see is on the other side. Edited by jtl513

All of the previous posters are right. It is best to be out, mobile, on open decks.

My Mom is mobility impaired and cannot stand for long. The idea of jockeying for position with her in a wheelchair was not appealing. I was also concerned about her being in the cold wind for too long. Given those particular circumstances, we opted for a balcony cabin on the port side. We got a good, long look at Margerie glacier. We saw some calving. We got a briefer view of Johns Hopkins glacier as the ship turned. Though the ship spun around to show Margerie to the starboard side, that particular day it didn't linger with starboard toward Margerie as it had with port facing her. This was on the Noordam in August 2015. I hope this helps any who may be unable to move easily around the public decks.

Vicki