Walking "Bar" Tour

cucruizin

Let me start by saying...were're not lushes!! LOL!!

We'll be in OSJ on a Thursday, from 7am - 2pm. My task was to plan the activities for this stop. 4 out of the 6 of us have visited the city before. We'll start with a stop at one of the local spots for breakfast before starting our walking tour of the forts and other landmarks.

I'd like to include a couple of stops at a local bar/dive spot, for a beer or quick shot, as we walk around (to keep the guys happy-LOL)...nothing where you have to sit down, order and wait for service. Can you guys help? Are there any local spots that might work during that time frame?

Thanks in advance and happy cruising!!

Sounds like a great plan! [emoji4]

I've spent a lot of time in OSJ over the years (been many times to PR to visit family) and three spots come to mind:

El Batey- this is a dive type bar that feels like you just walked into a scene from pirates of the Caribbean. Nothing fancy, but definitely cool and authentic.

Barrachina- the place where the pina colada was invented! Very cute, open air restaurant with a nice outdoor bar. The pina coladas are amazing!

Don Q rum- it's a small museum that displays the history of Don Q and ends with free shots of their rum! Hint- tip the bartender and you may get an extra shot or two. [emoji6]

Enjoy your time there!

Sounds like a great plan! [emoji4]

I've spent a lot of time in OSJ over the years (been many times to PR to visit family) and three spots come to mind:

El Batey- this is a dive type bar that feels like you just walked into a scene from pirates of the Caribbean. Nothing fancy, but definitely cool and authentic.

Barrachina- the place where the pina colada was invented! Very cute, open air restaurant with a nice outdoor bar. The pina coladas are amazing!

Don Q rum- it's a small museum that displays the history of Don Q and ends with free shots of their rum! Hint- tip the bartender and you may get an extra shot or two. [emoji6]

Enjoy your time there!

Thanks for the feedback. El Batey sounds like it would definitely fit the bill. Barrachina was on the list, and I didn't realize Don Q was still open. I found that Los 3 Cuernos opens at noon. A few reviews said they have $1 shots and cheap beers. We'll probably make that the last stop before heading back to the ship.

Will post any other good ones I find.

happy cruising to all!!

Any of those places within walking distance of the Sheraton Old San Juan? I've got an overnight there before my flight home in a couple of weeks. I'll be there by myself (an older woman) and am looking for something to while away a few hours between coming back from Vieques and going to sleep. I'm not afraid of walking around at night in well-traveled, well-lit areas.

Any of those places within walking distance of the Sheraton Old San Juan? I've got an overnight there before my flight home in a couple of weeks. I'll be there by myself (an older woman) and am looking for something to while away a few hours between coming back from Vieques and going to sleep. I'm not afraid of walking around at night in well-traveled, well-lit areas.

Consider The Mezzanine :)

Consider The Mezzanine :)

https://www.facebook.com/themezzanine.oldsanjuan/

• 2 weeks later...
It does, all served in the correct glass. ;). With generous free pours:)

Would you be willing to list some of the "high end" rums I should try? Some craft rums? Here at home, we've got some craft (aka, small barrel) whiskey makers and I'd love to have something like that. I remember having some Ron del Barrilito and enjoying that.

Would you be willing to list some of the "high end" rums I should try? Some craft rums? Here at home, we've got some craft (aka, small barrel) whiskey makers and I'd love to have something like that. I remember having some Ron del Barrilito and enjoying that.

Everyone has a different palate with regard to liquor store.

If it will give you an idea what in my opinion is good, with variety, my Rum Cabinet contains.

Appleton Estate Master Blender’s Legacy

Barbados Plantation XO 20th Anniversary

Cubaney Ron Tesero Grand Reserve 25 Year Soleras Rum

Depaz Grande Reserve XO - Grand Saint-Piere

Dictador XO Insolent

Diplomatico 2000 Single Vintage Rum

Diplomatico Ambassador Selection

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Don Q

El Dorado - Millenium 25

El Dorado 12

El Dorado 15

El Dorado 21

El Dorado 25 - 1980 Vintage

English Harbour 1981

English Harbour 10 Year

Flor De Cana 25

Juan Santos 21 Year Antigua Reserva Rum (Columbia)

La Favorite Cuvee Privilege 30 Year - Martinique

La Favorite - La Flibuste Rhum - Martinique

Mount Gay 1703 Old Cask Selection

Opthimus 25 Year

Panamonte Reserva XXV – 25 Year Old Rum

Punta Cana XOX

Pyrat Cask 1623 - (Rare 2006 Vintage)

Reimonenq Vieux 9 Year Old Rhum (Distilled 1999)

Ron Abuelo Centuria

Ron Botran 1893 Solera

Ron Cartavio XO

Ron Centenairo 20 Year - Costa Rica

Ron Centenairo 25 Year - Costa Rica

Ron Dos Maderas Luxus - Barbados

Ron Esclavo XO

Ron Millonario XO Reserva Especial Rum

Ron Quorhum - 23 Year Rum

Ron Quorhum - 30 Year Rum

Rum Nation Demerara 1990 - 23 Year Old

Rum Nation Panama - 21 Year Old

Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera

St Nicholas Abbey 15 Year - Barbados

Vizcaya VXOP - Cask 21

Zacapa 23 Solera

Zacapa 30 Aniversario

Zacapa Etiqueta Negra

Zacapa Straight From The Cask - Special Edition

Zacapa XO

Zafra Master Reserve 21

Zaya Gran Reserva

Everyone has a different palate with regard to liquor store.

If it will give you an idea what in my opinion is good, with variety, my Rum Cabinet contains.

Appleton Estate Master Blender’s Legacy

Barbados Plantation XO 20th Anniversary

Cubaney Ron Tesero Grand Reserve 25 Year Soleras Rum

Depaz Grande Reserve XO - Grand Saint-Piere

Dictador XO Insolent

Diplomatico 2000 Single Vintage Rum

Diplomatico Ambassador Selection

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Don Q

El Dorado - Millenium 25

El Dorado 12

El Dorado 15

El Dorado 21

El Dorado 25 - 1980 Vintage

English Harbour 1981

English Harbour 10 Year

Flor De Cana 25

Juan Santos 21 Year Antigua Reserva Rum (Columbia)

La Favorite Cuvee Privilege 30 Year - Martinique

La Favorite - La Flibuste Rhum - Martinique

Mount Gay 1703 Old Cask Selection

Opthimus 25 Year

Panamonte Reserva XXV – 25 Year Old Rum

Punta Cana XOX

Pyrat Cask 1623 - (Rare 2006 Vintage)

Reimonenq Vieux 9 Year Old Rhum (Distilled 1999)

Ron Abuelo Centuria

Ron Botran 1893 Solera

Ron Cartavio XO

Ron Centenairo 20 Year - Costa Rica

Ron Centenairo 25 Year - Costa Rica

Ron Dos Maderas Luxus - Barbados

Ron Esclavo XO

Ron Millonario XO Reserva Especial Rum

Ron Quorhum - 23 Year Rum

Ron Quorhum - 30 Year Rum

Rum Nation Demerara 1990 - 23 Year Old

Rum Nation Panama - 21 Year Old

Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera

St Nicholas Abbey 15 Year - Barbados

Vizcaya VXOP - Cask 21

Zacapa 23 Solera

Zacapa 30 Aniversario

Zacapa Etiqueta Negra

Zacapa Straight From The Cask - Special Edition

Zacapa XO

Zafra Master Reserve 21

Zaya Gran Reserva

THANK You! I live in a state where the liquor is tightly controlled by a bunch of white men who belong to the predominant majority religion which believes drinking is a sin and no child should walk into a restaurant or bar and have to look at walls of booze :roll eyes:

Most of those will never make it to the shelves of my local state liquor store. I have had a few of those brands when there used to be a nice rum bar in the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas.

THANK You! I live in a state where the liquor is tightly controlled by a bunch of white men who belong to the predominant majority religion which believes drinking is a sin and no child should walk into a restaurant or bar and have to look at walls of booze :roll eyes:

Most of those will never make it to the shelves of my local state liquor store. I have had a few of those brands when there used to be a nice rum bar in the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas.

We too are Vegas fans, and stayed at the Bellagio (My lady wanted to watch the fountain show from our balcony, plus a Cirque, and the night ride on top of the Strat).

Give you a smile, all of my cabinet would cost three to four times the price paid in the Caribbean (if you could find some of the rarer ones in the UK).

If it assists, on our last visit to Mezzanine, they did have Zacapa XO, Barcadi Limitda, Don Q, Trigo Reserva, also your Barrilto, and confirmed they would adding to their premium list.

Gave a great time in PR, and happy cruising.

Thank you so much for all the infomation! I think I'm sometimes an odd duck when it comes to my drinks; I don't do foo foo or fruity 90% of the time. I like to be able to taste and slowly savor my liquor. I'm on a mission to have a signature Bloody Mary from as many St. Regis hotels that I can (will pick up Bahia Beach's Encanto Mary this time) - I've got 5 so far!

I had a snifter of the Zacapa 23 Solera tonight. Yummmm. I also had a taste of Don Q Gran Anejo; it had a lighter taste than I thought it would have. I'm working my way through your list :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a snifter of the Zacapa 23 Solera tonight. Yummmm. I also had a taste of Don Q Gran Anejo; it had a lighter taste than I thought it would have. I'm working my way through your list :-)

So pleased to help with your journey around the world if rum. My list is deliberately diverse, being selected on the basis of different tastes and styles, which I like. So do friends and family :)

One is in no doubt you will find one or two, or even more, that will give you more yumms, to start your own "Cabinet". If you like the Z23, then the natural progression would be the Zac XO (smoother and more complex).

You can even start your own diary with tasting notations and marks out of 10

Keep in touch with your reviews, as interested to share your journey, as everyone's palate is different.

I'm going to be restricted to the duty free store at SJU for my take home choice, damn TSA...or a road trip to Las Vegas to My favorite liquor store to buy some and smuggle them over the UT border [emoji6]. I do love to sample what I can't get at home. It makes my trips more memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

I did want to express my thanks for those rum recommendations. I wussed out and didn't get to the Mezzanine. I was just too tired out for serious tasting by the time I got to the Sheraton. I just walked over to the Parrot Club and satisfied myself with a small plate of their nachos (sooooo good!!!!) and a decent mojito. At the duty free, I did buy a bottle of Don Q Gran Anejo and Zacapa 23 Solera. Even though I was transiting through JFK and should not have to be subjected to the TSA Smurf Show, I asked the sales person to put my rum into one of the TSA sealed plastic bags before putting them in the cloth carrying bag. Better safe than sorry with that much money invested in those 2 bottles!!!

I did want to express my thanks for those rum recommendations. I wussed out and didn't get to the Mezzanine. I was just too tired out for serious tasting by the time I got to the Sheraton. I just walked over to the Parrot Club and satisfied myself with a small plate of their nachos (sooooo good!!!!) and a decent mojito. At the duty free, I did buy a bottle of Don Q Gran Anejo and Zacapa 23 Solera. Even though I was transiting through JFK and should not have to be subjected to the TSA Smurf Show, I asked the sales person to put my rum into one of the TSA sealed plastic bags before putting them in the cloth carrying bag. Better safe than sorry with that much money invested in those 2 bottles!!!

Thank you for the feedback. A rarity on CC.

Enjoy the exploration and establishment of your cabinet. Slight warning, as you explore, the investment in it's content will increase, but worth it. :)

Hope the list give you the "one" (or more)

Keep well and stay in touch.