Help me decide! 7 day Magic vs 5 day Sunshine

Cpw221

I am addicted to planning cruises :eek:!

Looking ahead to 2017, we're trying to decide between a 7 day cruise on Magic, with four ports: Cozumel, Belize, Mahagony Bay, and Costa Maya. We've been to Cozumel several times, the other three ports would be new to us. The Sunshine cruise is 5 days, visiting Grand Turk and Amber Cove. Both ports are new to us. Both ships port out of Cape Canaveral.

On the Magic, we would have to pick either an interior, which I've always been nervous about because I'm afraid I would be claustrophobic not having a window, or a balcony, due to the fact that being midship is very important to me because of the motion. It appears there are no midship OV on the Magic available on the website. On Sunshine, we could pick a midship OV. Price-wise, the OV on the Sunshine is approximately he same price as the interior on Magic. The balcony on Magic is almost $600 more! :eek: Having a balcony has never been important to me, especially with such a port heavy inteniery. That $600 seems like it could be better spent, but I know those who love balconies would say it was worth it. The two extra days and extra ports are something to consider as well. Are interiors really so bad? :confused:

Magic has great food options, and the new BBQ place that my husband would love. Sunshine has the shake spot, and JJ's which I would like! We are not drinkers, so bars don't matter at all

Please help me decide which is our best bet. Thanks!

When are you looking to sail? Very surprised that for a cruise next year there are no mid-ship ocean views. Have you called to confirm that? From what I understand they only show you 10 cabins at a time. I would say to call to confirm first.

We are booked on the Magic (first time for this ship) in October with the same itinerary. I would prefer 7 days over 5 anytime.

My vote is always for 7 days over 5 days. Magic is a much larger, newer ship. We book interior cabins about as much as balconies. We're not in the cabin that much & it stays nice & cool without all the sun coming in. Also good for napping if you're so inclined.

Port-wise - I like both itineraries. Never been to Amber Cove, but I love going to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk.

Edited by dmdiver

You need to call Carnival or a TA. Remember that the website only shows you a very limited number of cabins. Going on the website may be practical, but this is one of those times when picking up the phone with a very specific request will be a small sacrifice to make in order to get what you really want.

And I would pick the Magic 7 night over the Sunshine 5 day ANY DAY. Amber Cove and Grand Turk may be new ports of call, but they are also Carnival manufactured destinations. If you do go on the Sunshine, explore beyond the immediate vicinity of the port facilities.

Edited by Tapi

We started out booking balconies but the past three or four cruises have been booking an interior stateroom and indulging ourselves more on the cruise with the savings. We were not using the balcony enough to justify the extra cost since we are only in the stateroom to sleep, shower, and change clothes. We also had the claustrophobic concerns at first but so far it has never been a problem.

Loved the Sunshine but then again newer ship and 7 days is a no brainer.

Thanks for the quick responses! It looks like from the Magic deck plans, the only ocean view cabins that are midship are deluxe ocean view. I guess that still would be cheaper than a balcony! I'll call to check for sure.

You need to call Carnival or a TA. Remember that the website only shows you a very limited number of cabins. Going on the website may be practical, but this is one of those times when picking up the phone with a very specific request will be a small sacrifice to make in order to get what you really want.

And I would pick the Magic 7 night over the Sunshine 5 day ANY DAY. Amber Cove and Grand Turk may be new ports of call, but they are also Carnival manufactured destinations. If you do go on the Sunshine, explore beyond the immediate vicinity of the port facilities.

Magic is 11/25/17, Sunshine is the next day, 11/26/17. :D

When are you looking to sail? Very surprised that for a cruise next year there are no mid-ship ocean views. Have you called to confirm that? From what I understand they only show you 10 cabins at a time. I would say to call to confirm first.

We are booked on the Magic (first time for this ship) in October with the same itinerary. I would prefer 7 days over 5 anytime.

Edited by Cpw221
Spelling

Magic is 11/25/17, Sunshine is the next day, 11/26/17. :D

You'll be sailing about a month after us. I can tell you that the rates are pretty good. I booked us on 2/29 and have put in twice for price drops already. So, the cost has gone down now total of $90. Not too bad since we book a balcony on the Lido deck. Those price drops are usually hard to find.

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you choose.

What is there to ponder?

Magic over Sunshine, Magic just got a refurb too!

7 days over 5 days is a no brainer

Any cruise that goes to Amber Cove is a deal breaker for me. Amber Cove is a shopping corral on the Atlantic coast, has no beach and is just another way for Carnival to get your $$$$.

Magic wins!!!!

Book a 4J interior cabin on the Magic

winner winner

That isn't midship though.

OP, there are 6M ocean views available. Those are the deluxe ocean views, but they are the only ones that are midship on the Magic. They are a little more expensive, but you get an extra bathroom out of it. I think it's a no brainer to take the 7 day on the newer, bigger ship.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I think we'll go with the Magic! Studying the deck plans, it seems like a deluxe ocean view is our best bet to be midship. That's of course unless I can convince myself that I can do an interior. It seems like there is so much to do on the Magic, and since we'll have four ports, I don't think we'll be spending that much time in our room.

How does it work with early saver if you book a lower cabin originally, and then decide to upgrade to a deluxe ocean view or balcony? :confused:

Thanks for everyone's input on the ports. It seems like Amber Cove is kinda a waste of a port day.

I am glad to know I am not the only one addicted to planning cruises :eek: That being said I would do the Magic as everyone suggested just because it is two days longer and you said it would be the same price if you book interior. We sailed the Sunshine in Oct. and will be on the Magic this Oct. We book OV because we are a family of 5. I am excited about the extra bathroom on the Magic. So if you do go with the Deluxe OV you can enjoy this feature. It has a tub. Small but it is a tub if this is something you would use.

Magic. It is a newer ship. Yes the Sunshine has been upgraded but it is smaller and congested. So much so, that the show venue and the Disco have to be combined. After the nightly performances, chairs are pushed to the side for the guest to dance.

Plus 7 days on a cruise sure beats 5 days on a cruise.

When it comes to interior cabins, I have no problem with them. They usually save me money so I can used it on other things (drinks). And I sleep in the cabin. That's it. I'm usually not up partying in my cabin. That's what I paid to go on a cruise for. Sleeping is pretty amazing in an inside cabin. You can sleep late because the sun doesn't come through the window. I sleep like a baby in an inside cabin.

I've had every cabin from interiors to suites. After having a suite or a balcony, I had no problem booking an interior.

We were on the Sunshine last year and truthfully the only ship I have ever disliked. All the new features, crew, etc. were wonderful! However the ship itself is laid out poorly, feels cramped everywhere you go, and has some internal issues.

The Magic has everything we loved on the Sunshine (and more!) and appears to be very similar in layout and design to the Dream (which we loved). We are already booked on her for a Western Caribbean in 2017 and cannot wait!