Self embarcation

Lindypops

We are joining QM2 in Dubai on 18 april.

The ship stays in port overnight and sail the following day.

We have an embarkation time of 3 pm but would like to spend more time in Dubai and check in later probably about 7 pm.

I have rung Cunard and they say the normal check in time is 12 until 3.30 but it is not a problem to arrive later but we would have to bring our own luggage on board as the check in/ porter staff would have left.

Has anyone done a late self Embarkation? Was it a problem?

Linda

Edited by Lindypops

We have an embarcation time of 3 pm but would like to spend more time in Dubai and check in later probably about 7 pm.

I have rung Cunard and they say the normal check in time is 12 until 3.30 but it is not a problem to arrive later but we would have to bring our own luggage on board as the check in/ porter staff would have left.

Has anyone done a late self Embarcation? Was it a problem?

Linda

Yes it is a Problem the ship can do the paperwork check in, But they can not scan large cases as the scanners onboard are for Hand luggage & small cases, This could result in you having to empty any large cases completely & then re=packing them

If you have huge bags can you drop them off at the pier earlier and check in later?

Not sure how Cunard would differ but I did this once on the Crystal Serenity. Gangway security had my bags picked up and processed and then they were delivered to my stateroom.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I can't see how you could check in later, they are surely not going to keep a check in staff member along with computer just for one peraon/ family. And without your cruisecard you won't be allowed to the ship side.

I would suggest you check in as requested and then go back, it really isn't far and taxis are cheap and plentiful.

We have an embarkation time of 3 pm but would like to spend more time in Dubai and check in later probably about 7 pm.

Has anyone done a late self Embarkation? Was it a problem?

Linda

Last year in Sydney when joining QM2 I wanted to spend the day sightseeing. I went to the terminal at 10 am and they took my baggage and told me to come back later in the afternoon to board. I went straight on after checking in and it was waiting for me in my cabin. I am intending doing the same when I join Queen Victoria in Hong Kong soon. Just hope it's as straightforward. ...

No doubt embarkation arrangements differ by port. There is a thread about boarding in Quebec City on a cruise where the QM2 stays overnight for two nights. Last year 40 people arriving by train from Montreal/Toronto at 10:00 p.m. had no trouble boarding.

I will be boarding in Quebec on 4 October and plan on taking the train that arrives close to 5:00 p.m. My TA says there will be no problem. Once we receive our embarkation information we will inform Cunard of our ETA.

Arriving after the stated boarding times is not permitted when departure is imminent. A year and a half ago at Red Hook we saw a couple who arrived after embarkation hours denied boarding. Weather delayed the departure of the QM2 by an hour or two but even so they were not permitted to board.