POA post drydock

dexddd

And a bit of humour.......

IMG_0699_zpsh4uaeyuc.jpg

Yes I think I will stay on the ship today....since it's a sea day

:D:D:D:D

Hi Freckles - hopefully you made it home safe. We actually made it home on time without any plane problems (well, the captain was missing from one flight past flight time and the co-pilot had flown to the airport with him so he was missing at the airport - we did make it on time though).

I didn't read most of the Dailies but I did see that Day 4 one and laughed too.

Hi Freckles - hopefully you made it home safe. We actually made it home on time without any plane problems (well, the captain was missing from one flight past flight time and the co-pilot had flown to the airport with him so he was missing at the airport - we did make it on time though).

I didn't read most of the Dailies but I did see that Day 4 one and laughed too.

Hi dex....yes we arrived home safely with no issues at all.

I swear my chair is swaying now though ;)

After 8 cruises I have to say that the onboard entertainment team was THE BEST :D:D Every one of them was so full of energy, they worked well together and absolutely made our trip the most memorable onboard experience. They worked hard to keep the entertainment going, especially during sea days....no boredom here :). Wish I could take them with me on all future cruises...regardless of ship :p

The delayed embarkation was a bit stressful until we had the hotel sorted out. I realize that it did not work out so well for others though and felt bad for those that struggled to find available hotel rooms or change flights. I do think that NCL might have given passengers a bit more notice, they must have realized by Saturday/Sunday, with so much rain those 2 days, that they would not be quite ready to sail Tuesday.

Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed our whole trip. The onboard issues were a minor inconvenience for us, the food was hit and miss, but we did not go hungry at all. The crew and officers were great, no service issues for us.

NCL was more than fair with compensation :D I cannot see anything on MyNCL though so really having nothing in writing as to the actual dollar amount. And I do not see my purchased future cruise credit. I'm assuming all of this takes time and probably comes through my TA.

I'd be really curious to know about the work on Deck 14, someone mentioned possible cabanas? I guess we'll get more info as the ship goes back into her regular 7-nighters and the ship is finally finished!

I'd be really curious to know about the work on Deck 14, someone mentioned possible cabanas? I guess we'll get more info as the ship goes back into her regular 7-nighters and the ship is finally finished!

A few pics back I posted some of the square areas that looked like they would be cabanas. Not sure if they were there before. They did not have any furniture in them and they had a white plastic wrapped around them. The deck area just opened the last day so they might have some work still to do. If my memory serves me, there were 4 on each side and 2 in the center facing the pool.

Hi dex....yes we arrived home safely with no issues at all.

I swear my chair is swaying now though ;)

After 8 cruises I have to say that the onboard entertainment team was THE BEST :D:D Every one of them was so full of energy, they worked well together and absolutely made our trip the most memorable onboard experience. They worked hard to keep the entertainment going, especially during sea days....no boredom here :). Wish I could take them with me on all future cruises...regardless of ship :p

The delayed embarkation was a bit stressful until we had the hotel sorted out. I realize that it did not work out so well for others though and felt bad for those that struggled to find available hotel rooms or change flights. I do think that NCL might have given passengers a bit more notice, they must have realized by Saturday/Sunday, with so much rain those 2 days, that they would not be quite ready to sail Tuesday.

Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed our whole trip. The onboard issues were a minor inconvenience for us, the food was hit and miss, but we did not go hungry at all. The crew and officers were great, no service issues for us.

NCL was more than fair with compensation :D I cannot see anything on MyNCL though so really having nothing in writing as to the actual dollar amount. And I do not see my purchased future cruise credit. I'm assuming all of this takes time and probably comes through my TA.

I agree the crew was great. When we got home we did have 2 calls from NCL about the change but we had already left. We never got an email and I even checked spam. We sat with a family at Teppanyaki one night and they got 3 calls and an email.

Finding out a bit sooner would have been nice as trying to find a hotel was not easy and ours was sold out for the 2nd night upon checking online and calling them between flights. When we got there though I asked and she said they were but was pretty sure they'd have a cancellation which they did. She said there were 7,000 rooms booked for the gamers convention plus the Biebs was in town.

I did get a call on the ship from Charlie in Guest Services because I was looking for the refund of our 3rd and 4th DSC since the tv only showed two. He explained the credit for the DSC was lumped in with the refund of the first day fare. Was your refund for the DSC (if you paid in advance) shown separate or lumped with the credit per person for the first day? He said the future credit would be tied to our latitudes number but I'm thinking we won't actually be able to see it online anywhere - we'd have to contact NCL directly about that.

I agree the food was great and we had a great time as well.

Hi dex....yes we arrived home safely with no issues at all...

Freckles, glad you are home safe and sound. Enjoyed meeting and chatting with you. We're toughing it out in Waikiki until the end of the week. Please make sure the weather is warm for our return. Sunny and 27c here this morning. Time for breakfast. Aloha! A hui hoe!

I agree the crew was great. When we got home we did have 2 calls from NCL about the change but we had already left. We never got an email and I even checked spam. We sat with a family at Teppanyaki one night and they got 3 calls and an email.

Finding out a bit sooner would have been nice as trying to find a hotel was not easy and ours was sold out for the 2nd night upon checking online and calling them between flights. When we got there though I asked and she said they were but was pretty sure they'd have a cancellation which they did. She said there were 7,000 rooms booked for the gamers convention plus the Biebs was in town.

I did get a call on the ship from Charlie in Guest Services because I was looking for the refund of our 3rd and 4th DSC since the tv only showed two. He explained the credit for the DSC was lumped in with the refund of the first day fare. Was your refund for the DSC (if you paid in advance) shown separate or lumped with the credit per person for the first day? He said the future credit would be tied to our latitudes number but I'm thinking we won't actually be able to see it online anywhere - we'd have to contact NCL directly about that.

I agree the food was great and we had a great time as well.

We had prepaid DSC, locked in at the lower rate (12.50 USD) and there was no separate line item for that, we were told it was lumped in with the one day credit. Our TA was onboard in a Family suite - 7 of them - and she said some of them had it shown separate and some together with the one day credit.

Figuring out the 50% credit is tricky especially for those of us who paid in CDN. I understand that there is some kind of fee included in the base fare that we do not see, and understand that amount will be deducted from our base fare, along with the one day credit, and then we will get 50% of the resulting 10-day fare. Is that your understanding?

At this point I have taken the one day credit (USD), deducted 12.50, multiplied the result by 10 for the 10-day amount. 50% of that x 1.19 CDN exchange rate that NCL used. We will see if NCL comes to the same result :p

The difference between the 11 day USD fare shown online when I booked and the one-day credit (less DSC) x 11 is about $193 USD. I don't know what that fee is for...perhaps the agent's fee?

Dex - welcome home. Regarding those possible cabanas-like structure on deck 14, I got a hold of my BIL's video from 2009 as they sailed along with us, they're not there then - unless they're added since ... it's brand new :cool:

Freckle's uploaded images of those OV cabins looked nice, especially with those oversized giant picture windows & the ceiling to floor curtains, can almost feel like a balcony (with the obstructed view) - with the sofa (convertible bed, I assume) ... and, I don't recalled our OV with a sofa, this is a new layout ?

As nice as they are vs. the dozens of activities & sights to see and to experience on each island stops, not easy making :D hard choices on what to do & to skip as it's becoming even more challenging (like spending more time onboard)

Edited by mking8288

Freckles, glad you are home safe and sound. Enjoyed meeting and chatting with you. We're toughing it out in Waikiki until the end of the week. Please make sure the weather is warm for our return. Sunny and 27c here this morning. Time for breakfast. Aloha! A hui hoe!

Hey Crown Vic it was so nice meeting you too. Poor you, it must be unbearably hot in Waikiki :p...but please bring the warmth home with you ;)

Dex - welcome home. Regarding those possible cabanas-like structure on deck 14, I got a hold of my BIL's video from 2009 as they sailed along with us, they're not there then - unless they're added since ... it's brand new :cool:

Freckle's uploaded images of those OV cabins looked nice, especially with those oversized giant picture windows & the ceiling to floor curtains, can almost feel like a balcony (with the obstructed view) - with the sofa (convertible bed, I assume) ... and, I don't recalled our OV with a sofa, this is a new layout ?

As nice as they are vs. the dozens of activities & sights to see and to experience on each island stops, not easy making :D hard choices on what to do & to skip as it's becoming even more challenging (like spending more time onboard)

It did almost feel like a balcony but had to take care when dressing/undressing make sure the curtains are closed....some hunky guys working out there sometimes :cool:

We saw an OV down the hall with no obstruction and it was the same if I recall correctly. These cabins are 3-sleepers. My DD was on POA in 2012 in obs. OV and there was a sofa in their cabin back then, so not a new layout.

A 4-sleeper may be different assuming 2 pullmans.

Freckles - thanks for posting pics of cabin 7554, that was my older daughter's and my mom-in-law's cabin when we went two years ago. My husband, younger daughter, and I had 7552, and our sister, brother-in-law, and nephew had 7556. I agree when you say those are the best obstructed view cabins; the floor to ceiling windows are wonderful and the small boat is hardly in the way.

Sounds like you all had a really great time! :)

Freckles - thanks for posting pics of cabin 7554, that was my older daughter's and my mom-in-law's cabin when we went two years ago. My husband, younger daughter, and I had 7552, and our sister, brother-in-law, and nephew had 7556. I agree when you say those are the best obstructed view cabins; the floor to ceiling windows are wonderful and the small boat is hardly in the way.

Sounds like you all had a really great time! :)

My friends were in 7556. It was a bit noisy (creaky noises) on the crossing. Did you experience that? I heard some of the creaks, and also some banging on one particular night, as if a surrounding cabin had left open a door in their cabin and it was opening/closing with the movement of the ship. It was much quieter after we mentioned it to one of the officers. ;) However the seas were calmer by the time we reached the islands so I think that helped.

Did you find that 7552 view was blocked somewhat by the jutting out wall of the next door balcony cabin?

Yep, we experienced the creakiness, too. I sleep with earplugs so I didn't really hear it, but the kids and my husband did.

As for the view, we didn't really spend much time in the room, so I can't really remember the protruding wall. I would pull aside the curtain each morning and peek out to see where we were, but that's about it. If anyone wants to see what 7552 looks like and how obstructive the obstruction is, here you go:

Hawaiistateroom7552-resized_zps84962e2e.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/<a href=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/MaryWetherby/media/Hawaiistateroom7552-resized_zps84962e2e.jpg.html rel=nofollow target=_blank>Hawaiistateroom7552-resized_zps84962e2e.jpg

It did almost feel like a balcony but had to take care when dressing/undressing make sure the curtains are closed....some hunky guys working out there sometimes :cool:

We saw an OV down the hall with no obstruction and it was the same if I recall correctly. These cabins are 3-sleepers. My DD was on POA in 2012 in obs. OV and there was a sofa in their cabin back then, so not a new layout. A 4-sleeper may be different assuming 2 pullmans.

LOL on the pulling the curtains, I remembered my SIL saying something about it then.

Found our old POA pix collection - this was our OV (capacity for 3,) on deck 5 - I think - and no sofa, and we had the bed turned 90 degree - perhaps ours being a notch smaller - too tight for even a sofa chair. Had 2 other OV cabins (on deck 7) & now that I think about it, perhaps they did have the sofa - going to ask the BIL/SIL later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/DSC00140.JPG

LOL on the pulling the curtains, I remembered my SIL saying something about it then.

Found our old POA pix collection - this was our OV (capacity for 3,) on deck 5 - I think - and no sofa, and we had the bed turned 90 degree - perhaps ours being a notch smaller - too tight for even a sofa chair. Had 2 other OV cabins (on deck 7) & now that I think about it, perhaps they did have the sofa - going to ask the BIL/SIL later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/DSC00140.JPG

It looks smaller than the cabin I had. The smaller window probably makes the room look smaller. Isn't that a pullman on the right side as well?

It looks smaller than the cabin I had. The smaller window probably makes the room look smaller. Isn't that a pullman on the right side as well?

Yes, indeed. That's the 2nd. pullman bed up folded up against the wall - our room was indeed, capable of housing 4 people - super cozy. I looked at your obstructed OV pix again, the room is most definitely bigger & roomier, we had both small night/end table next to the bed by the window - translating into no room for even a "slim" sofa chair, let alone a slim single convertible sofa for a 3rd. guest. On the other side, the bed is almost right next to the dresser table/mirror.

These rooms were smaller than the typical Dawn/Jewel class ships in the fleet in those days & had less closet/storage space - but, everyone managed - and, we always travel light. Compared to the mega-ships, these rooms are still fine, except for the smallish bathroom.

View of the "other" side of our OV, fairly ordinary looking then - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/DSC00142.JPG

Off-topic - back then, OV has the coffee maker as it is showing via the mirror's reflection - are they still there/upgraded or removed these days ?

The reasons to sail POA is really, for beautiful sunset views like this - at 10,000 ft. Next time, I want to capture the beautiful Maui sunrise ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/DSC00243E.JPG

Thanks for this post. I was looking for something that might explain what the changes were after dry dock. The NCL site mentioned new areas to be added along with other enhancements. I see they aren't quite finished, but should be all good by the time we are on POA in September.

Thanks for this post. I was looking for something that might explain what the changes were after dry dock. The NCL site mentioned new areas to be added along with other enhancements. I see they aren't quite finished, but should be all good by the time we are on POA in September.

I have not been on the ship previously, better to ask someone who has. Several people on our roll call have been on the ship before.

There was a gelato station that looked new, but not open yet. It is on deck 11 going aft from the pool area starboard side, before entering the buffet area.

There is a chapel. If there was a chapel before, it has moved.

I believe the photo area was moved. I think it was where the new chapel is. I do not know what was removed from the area where the new photo area is located.

There is a list somewhere on CC but I don't have time to go looking for it, sorry.:o