Queenstown overnight??

dg33

We went from Dunedin to Milford Sound. There were 4 busloads on this excursion, which made for crowded experiences at the winery, dining, the lake steamer cruise and potty stops.

I am glad we toured in the westbound direction because when we boarded our very cramped bus (our guide told us it was designed for school children thus the cramped seats with little legroom, no footrests and no storage pocket in the seat in front- other busses did have these features), the reverse itinerary was in our seats. The dining for them was at 10pm at the restaurant/sheep show!! And return to the Q-town hotel was after midnight with an early wake-up call the next day.

The meals were very good, the Q-town hotel was fine and the lake steamer and sheep show very enjoyable. I also enjoyed Arrowtown and Te Anau rainforest. The 1st day from Dunedin to Q-town was not so pleasing to me in that I felt the bunge-jumping-watching and wine tour/tasting were meh.

I am glad we did take the tour but would have enjoyed it more had we had more time in Queenstown, had each bus go to a different winery and been provided a bus designed for long-distance comfort.

Edited by TMLAalum

We took the Queenstown tour and most of it was enjoyable. Arrived late into Queenstown and were not able to spend enough time there. This made the dinner and lake boat tour very late (after 9:30) and we cancelled it and had dinner at the hotel. Those who went, arrived back at hotel after 1pm. This made for an extremely long day and was truly disappointing.

Due to the fact I will probably not return to NZ, I am happy to have seen the interior of the country, but this was not well organized for the cost involved.

When we sailed Solstice last year from Sydney to Auckland I wanted to take the Queenstown overnight excursion. The more research I did and after asking many questions here on CC, we decided to pass. I don't feel as though I missed out as we got to see the Sounds for the day and also experience Dunedin. We did spend 5 days post cruise on the North Island. Now we have an excuse to go back to that part of the world to see what we didn't get a chance to. We LOVE this part of the World and want to go back real soon!

Edited by debshomespun

New Zealand is a wonderful place to hike and rent a car. The people are so nice and helpful. I agree that a cruise ship can't do it justice. It is the same with Italy and many other places in the world; however, it works well if you plan your own land tour and then cruise for relaxation and visiting either new or places that you have never been too. Each has its time and place!:cool: I loved Queensland! I know I would not have enjoyed it on Celebrity...I also love Celebrity!

Edited by Lastdance

We did this cruise on the Mercury the first year it was offered. We spent a week pre-cruise on the South Island flying into Queenstown. We stayed there a couple of days before driving up the west coast and taking the train across to Christchurch. We then flew back to Auckland to board the cruise.

Have to say we enjoyed the land portion probably more than the cruise. Queenstown is probably one of my favorite places on earth. It's just beautiful. We didn't do the Milford sounds from there as we were going to be doing it on the ship.

When we sailed Solstice last year from Sydney to Auckland I wanted to take the Queenstown overnight excursion. The more research I did and after asking many questions here on CC, we decided to pass. I don't feel as though I missed out as we got to see the Sounds for the day and also experience Dunedin. We did spend 5 days post cruise on the North Island. Now we have an excuse to go back to that part of the world to see what we didn't get a chance to. We LOVE this part of the World and want to go back real soon!

Wonderful that you plan to go back! :)

In 2013 we spent two weeks in New Zealand and eight weeks in Australia before getting on the ship in Sydney for our first cruise. We knew that we had not allowed enough time by the date that we had to get on the ship. Cruise already paid for, so no option to change.

We are going back next year to spend more time in New Zealand, especially the South Island. Then we will go back to Australia to visit the places we missed, and re-visit some of our favorites. This time we will cruise to Australia so will not have a deadline we have to meet.

wrk2cruise- I agree, Queenstown is the most beautiful city, I wish I could live there. :)

It is the JEWEL in New Zealand's crown, don't miss Queenstown no matter the cost, you won't regret it for sure.

Agree with above about how super wonderful is Queenstown, along with so much else on New Zealand's spectacular South Island.

We did, along with other several couples in our travel group from Central Ohio, the two-day, overnight Queenstown excursion. It's a choice, not cheap. There are pro's and con's to consider. As previously noted, Milford Sound is suppose to be the best of the three you will visit. BUT, the biggest roll of the dice is the weather. These fjords can be spectacular, but you can have iffy weather. Maybe great and sunny. Maybe rainy with overcast, etc. Possible a little of both as your travels that day cover a varied amount of distance/travel among the three different areas.

On my live/blog I detail much on ALL that we did on this two-day excursion. WOW!! What a great trip. Loved it ALL so much. Not just charming Queenstown, but seeing a wonderful rainforest area, the charm of the interior of NZ's South Island, a cute old gold-rush town, a winery, the bridge where bungee jumping got its start, etc. On the Queenstown side of the mountains, there are less weather challenges, etc. With our tour, we still got a nice sampling of Dunedin, its very special train station, etc.

Either one can work well. Much depends on what you most like, seek and enjoy most. Added questions? Below are a few visuals to give previews for what you can see in this excellent part of the world. Many, many more on the full live/blog.

Worth it? It was for us and the others in our group. Personal choice!! The NZ South Island is amazing and being able to sample it was very important for us to "feed" our personal interests to see and learn more about this unique part of the world.

Many more details and visuals can been seen on this live/blog connected below. Happy to answer any other questions. Just post on this live/blog on this Celebrity thread and I will respond more fully to any added info needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 137,890 views for this posting.

Our first stop after getting off of the Solstice and boarding our bus was a major rainforest areas in the Fiordlands National Park. Amazing site and stop!! Yes, there was some rain that morning. But, here are some facts to consider. In the Milford Sound area, they get an average of 23 feet (that's right FEET) of rain each year. At times, it might go as high as 46' yearly. That means most ever day gets some rain as the churning Tasman sea air loaded with moisture hits these South Island mountains. By sharp contrast, just 25 miles away (across the mountains), Queenstown averages only 30 inches of rain annually. Big difference!!:

QueentownExcur1stA8_zps3e22c428.jpg

Here is a view of the main street in Arrowtown with lots of character and charm. Plus, many shops! High-quality ones!! Just the kind that my wife and others love. There were historic places for beers, cheese, etc., too! Not just clothing and jade/jewelry.:

QueentownExcurA43_zps2d91792c.jpg

Here is one of my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake near Queenstown during the two-day Solstice excursion. You will see lots of scenic mountains and areas during this sailing that is a key part of this evening fun. And, there was food!!:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

Here is one my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. This bridge is narrow, being built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

Among the highlights in Dunedin was their rail station with its many special design touches. As our guide, John, explained, Dunedin was very rich at the time from its gold and other resources. Why did they make it so fancy? Because they could!! You can see some of the fancy tile work, a stained-glass window, etc., there. They do not build things like this these days. In this below picture, you can see our skilled guide John with some of the folks from our Central Ohio travel group outside in front of this landmark building.:

QueentownExcurA3_zpsd99d641b.jpg

TLCOhio- You sold us! We just booked the overnight! I am enjoying your live/blog so much. Thanks! Donna

Appreciate, Donna, your nice follow-up and kind comments. I'll be checking my mail-box for that "commission check" to be coming from Celebrity. Just kidding! Wish that I could get compensation for saying nice and well-deserved things about Australia, NZ, etc. Just telling it like it is.

Glad you're booked and working hard on your planning for this "down under" adventure. There are lots of great options and potentials to consider. Keep asking good questions!!! Don't be shy. On my live/blog, feel free to ask about any follow-up info needs. I check that location regularly and will be happy to respond, provide additional help, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,978 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474