When does spring break start?

I booked the Navigator for a 9 night Southern Caribbean March 17, 2017. Is this spring break? Can I expect lots of kids on a cruise of this length?

Smack dab in the middle of Spring Break.

I don't have the info for "kids" but it's not too late to reconsider your sailing date.

Number of college students on Spring Break in 2016:

February 29 - March 4, 2016 Total: 318,872

March 7 - 11, 2016: Total: 1,781,426

March 14 - 18, 2016 Total: 2,257,647

March 21 - 25, 2016 Total: 980,730

However on a 9 night sailing I doubt you will have many on break since they only get a week off and are looking for shorter length cruises.

Very true- as an elementary school teacher I can't cruise more than 4 or 5 days at spring break. Did a 4-day two years ago on the Enchantment (last week of March). A handful of families but tons of college students. Yikes! Based on conversations, most had driven to the port to save money. Therefore, they were short on time too.

Most spring-breakers will do shorter cruises. Once you hit 9 nights, the average age on the ship tends to go up. We did a 7 night out of Fort Lauderdale right in the middle of spring break last year and, while there were a lot of spring-breakers on the ship, it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.

We originally had picked March to do this year's cruise, but our TA reminded us about the spring breakers, so we decided to wait a month and go in April. It may definitely been worth the wait.

Next year Easter is April 17. That appears to be really late or this year is early.

My cruise departs Friday March 17 and returns Sunday March 26.

I wasn't sure if spring breakers get the previous Friday off before starting the week long vacation.

Thanks everyone

Next year Easter is April 17. That appears to be really late or this year is early.

My cruise departs Friday March 17 and returns Sunday March 26.

I wasn't sure if spring breakers get the previous Friday off before starting the week long vacation.

Thanks everyone

You're over thinking it. A nine night cruise should be fine. And easter doesn't have anything to do with spring break scheduling. Relax:)

Private schools, esp Christian and Catholic schools usually have the week after Easter for a spring break. Many would have 10 days off from Good Friday through the next Sunday, so a longer cruise is possible. Many parents have no hesitation taking their kids out of school.

I think there used to be a good general way of figuring out crowded spring break weeks but now you can find South American travelers, quincetera groups, New Jersey week, Yeshiva groups, etc. I keep learning more and more and it is almost a losing battle. I thought an end of January cruise wouldn't find many kids. Wrong. All you need is a group from Argentina combined with a kids sail free special and all your thinking goes out the window.

I booked the Navigator for a 9 night Southern Caribbean March 17, 2017. Is this spring break? Can I expect lots of kids on a cruise of this length?

Do you mean college kids or younger kids?

I think you have seen the numbers in one of the responses for college spring breaks. They tend to be earlier than the K-12 spring breaks. Southern K-12 schools tend to have theirs in mid March while northern schools tend to be later as they start school later and end school later in the year. Many schools do tie their spring break to Easter but it is very late next year so i would guess schools that do tie it to Easter will be out the week before.

Our schools in this area have all agreed to have spring break the first full week of april every year. It is very nice for planning ahead. No more guessing and waiting for the school calendar to be released.

I'm currently on the Oasis 9 night cruise, we left on the 17th. According to the mother of a teenager there are 700 teenagers on the ship. She was told this by Teen Club personnel. Someone on the roll call was told there are 1500 children in total on the ship. However, they seem pretty well behaved but I stay in the Solarium so I can't comment on the other pools. We do not have many college aged students either, just a lot of families.

There may be a lot of children on your ship but it is hard to predict.

Mary

It will be packed with kids. Parents will keep their kids out of school for a couple of days without a second thought. I have taken several cruises as it is over my bday & wedding anniversary.... We did on to Panama Canal for 8 days and it was packed with kids....I still had a good time. We are leaving next week for S Caribbean....I am sure it will be crowded. We just try to go to the adult pool to avoid the kiddos splashing around.

You're over thinking it. A nine night cruise should be fine. And easter doesn't have anything to do with spring break scheduling. Relax:)

When I lived in NY, we always seemed to have spring break right around Easter, so that's not always true.

Down here near Ft Lauderdale, after 5 straight years of having spring break around March 20th, next year it's the week of April 10th.

That depends if the OP is talking about college kids or kids in elementary through high school.

If it's the latter there may be a lot of kids on spring break. This year is the first year that our spring break isn't the week before or after Easter.

I just came off of Brilliance and we had many college spring break students. At first, I was a bit leary, but it wasn't too bad. They did tend to take over the pool area, but not until afternoon. Being that yours is a longer cruise, you should be fine.

We were on Vision out of Tampa towards the end of March last year and half the ship was college kids from Tennessee. I was appalled at the behavior of these people. After the first day at sea they were "asked" to leave the pool area because they were so obnoxious to everyone and left such a disaster at the end of the day. The rest of the sea days they blocked the walking path and the top deck had to be hosed off after they left. They made little children cry on a tender boat back from Belize and when the parents asked them to quiet down, they cursed the parents out and screamed all the louder. They ignored the tender boat operators (I would have thrown them overboard at that point) as well.

Tennessee Vols, I hope you're proud of your students.

Hopefully with a 9 day cruise you won't have that problem. All I can say is I learned my lesson and will never again take a Caribbean cruise during March or April.

• 4 months later...
Private schools, esp Christian and Catholic schools usually have the week after Easter for a spring break. Many would have 10 days off from Good Friday through the next Sunday, so a longer cruise is possible. Many parents have no hesitation taking their kids out of school.

I think there used to be a good general way of figuring out crowded spring break weeks but now you can find South American travelers, quincetera groups, New Jersey week, Yeshiva groups, etc. I keep learning more and more and it is almost a losing battle. I thought an end of January cruise wouldn't find many kids. Wrong. All you need is a group from Argentina combined with a kids sail free special and all your thinking goes out the window.

Does anyone remember which week is Yeshiva week typically , the group from nyc,, people blew up the boards about it recently. I would personally prefer a different week,, thx!