Influenza A on Reflection

markluke

For those sailing, be careful - my guests on the 3/12-3/19 cruise both came down with influenza, type A. One spent the last 2 days in his cabin on bed rest.

Thanks to the inconsiderate French speaking people who were coughing up a lung - and not covering their mouths - during Monday night's 9pm show in the Reflection Theater, and/or the people openly and vigorously coughing in Luminae Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

It stuns me that people can apparently be so sick yet don't want to miss out on free food and entertainment.

This nit aside, it was a great cruise.

Sorry this happened to your guest.:( Was it confirmed to be the flu?

Had it been me, I would have gotten up and moved at the first sign of illness sitting near me. Though, the flu is really spread more by sneezing, close contact to a person with a high fever, or touching something that has been contaminated.

Did your guest have the flu vaccine in the Fall? DH and I had a flu shot back in late September. Two weeks ago, my almost 3 year old grandson got the flu (contracted at daycare.) Little ones are more susceptible because they have to take the nasal type of vaccine. He was diagnosed with a test at his pediatricians. Four other children in his class had the flu around the same time. I took care of him from his first day with high fever and vomiting. Again on Day 3 with high fever and sneezing directly into my face, and on Day 5 with fever and sneezing. Neither I, his parents, aunt, or my DH got the virus. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Had it been me, I would have gotten up and moved at the first sign of illness sitting near me.

You can't get up and move away when travelling on a plane!

We recently returned from Tenerife, where many people had very bad coughs.

My husband became ill within 4 days. We both had flu jabs in October, so it certainly didn't help him, but I have been fine.

Edited by upwarduk

Had it been me, I would have gotten up and moved at the first sign of illness sitting near me. Though, the flu is really spread more by sneezing, close contact to a person with a high fever, or touching something that has been contaminated.

Did your guest have the flu vaccine in the Fall? DH and I had a flu shot back in late September. Two weeks ago, my almost 3 year old grandson got the flu (contracted at daycare.) Little ones are more susceptible because they have to take the nasal type of vaccine. He was diagnosed with a test at his pediatricians. Four other children in his class had the flu around the same time. I took care of him from his first day with high fever and vomiting. Again on Day 3 with high fever and sneezing directly into my face, and on Day 5 with fever and sneezing. Neither I, his parents, aunt, or my DH got the virus. :)

Confirmed, and they both had flu shots. This year's vaccine is around 60% effective according to the CDC.

I agree that for the show they should have just moved (I wasn't there) but in Luminae it is hard to get up and move during dinner service - luckily the tables aren't that close together.

BTW, little ones don't have to have the nasal vaccine, they often do because it saves them getting jabbed with a needle.

Well the flu shot has done us no good whatsoever. We've had a very bad flu here complete with fever, chills and a bad cough. There were almost 1,000 new cases last week alone in San Diego and those are just the few that reported it! So, it's been going around and there's not a lot you can do to stop it.

I'm almost positive I picked mine up in the gym despite the fact that I bring my own antibacterial wipes to use on the machines. Clearly I didn't do a good enough job. Being sick like that on a cruise is miserable! :(

People shed the flu virus 24 hours before they show any symptoms, so they may not even know they are sick when they are infecting others! I am sorry your guests got sick after a cruise. It is not a fun way to wrap up a vacation.

People shed the flu virus 24 hours before they show any symptoms, so they may not even know they are sick when they are infecting others! I am sorry your guests got sick after a cruise. It is not a fun way to wrap up a vacation.

Definitely not fun...but if people are coughing and coughing you might think they would either be considerate and cover their coughs and sneezes, see the ship's doctor or think about others too :(

You can't get up and move away when travelling on a plane!

We recently returned from Tenerife, where many people had very bad coughs.

My husband became ill within 4 days. We both had flu jabs in October, so it certainly didn't help him, but I have been fine.

No, but I was thinking of the theater. ;)

Did your husband have the flu or a bad cold. Flu can only be diagnosed with a test.

Confirmed, and they both had flu shots. This year's vaccine is around 60% effective according to the CDC.

I agree that for the show they should have just moved (I wasn't there) but in Luminae it is hard to get up and move during dinner service - luckily the tables aren't that close together.

BTW, little ones don't have to have the nasal vaccine, they often do because it saves them getting jabbed with a needle.

More effective than last years, though!

My daughter told me that her son had to have the nasal. He gets needle sticks all the time with regular immunizations.

Strain A is mostly passed between people with weakened immune systems. My friend had it back in February on Silhouette and was confined for 2 days. It went unto pneumonia and she finally got out of the room on the last day.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My daughter told me that her son had to have the nasal. He gets needle sticks all the time with regular immunizations.

My kids have always gotten the shot. Kids 3 and up can definitely get the spray, under 3 it is a shot. Some peds run out of the shots if the parents don't get them early or offer the spray because the kids don't like shots. Some debate, but I thought I read the spray can be more effective than shot.

Did your husband have the flu or a bad cold. Flu can only be diagnosed with a test.

You are correct. Many people think they have the flu but often it is really a cold. I remember going into a walk-in center thinking I had the flu. I got the rolling of the eyes from staff when I talked about it. I had the test done and later I could hear excitement. "We have someone with the flu". Then I got the note to stay home for my employer, meds, reported to the Health Dept, etc.

My kids have always gotten the shot. Kids 3 and up can definitely get the spray, under 3 it is a shot. Some peds run out of the shots if the parents don't get them early or offer the spray because the kids don't like shots. Some debate, but I thought I read the spray can be more effective than shot.

GS is under 3 and had the spray.

That was the thought several years ago, but new research suggest they both work equally. Daughters ped. said that the spray does not appear to have as long a range of coverage. Since he was sick so late in the season, that appears to be true.

You are correct. Many people think they have the flu but often it is really a cold. I remember going into a walk-in center thinking I had the flu. I got the rolling of the eyes from staff when I talked about it. I had the test done and later I could hear excitement. "We have someone with the flu". Then I got the note to stay home for my employer, meds, reported to the Health Dept, etc.

Similar to my GS story. They thought he has strep.

Oh, well. It's over and done with. Hope there isn't an epidemic on the Reflection.

Edited by Iamthesea

I got RSV a serious, a upper respiratory virus, on a Silversea cruise (300 people). I was total incapacitated. No help from the ship doc. Worst ever for me. Even worse than the flu. As I looked back, the sanitary precautions were not even those of a large ship re: hand sanitizer, etc. I'm frankly afraid re: our upcoming Med cruise.

I got the flu on our last B2B Asia cruise on the Millie. I self medicated and spent 2 miserable days in the cabin. Then I started to feel better for a couple of days but it cycled back twice as hard. I dragged myself down to the Medical Centre and I was so sick they thought I had pneumonia (gave me chest ex rays and everything) Moral of the story, the next time I even think I am getting a cold or flu I am hotfooting it to the Med Centre and getting Tamiflu. I never want to go through that again. Also, because of the AC, your nasal passages dry out which makes it easier for the flu virus to enter your body. Dr gave me Saline gel to keep nasal passages lubricated on the plane as well as on the ship.

Our cruise on the Equinox ended last Monday....people were coughing in the Theater and around us in the dining room....also right behind me on the plane coming home (without covering his mouth). I volunteer at the local hospital where it's mandatory to have a flu shot. Wouldn't you know, I have a really bad bronchial cold right now, but it could have worse without the shot (not 100% protection). So I think the plane 'air' is to blame, not the ship. Not much you can do about it.

Edited by oceangoer2

There was a story on the radio about the probability of getting a cold based on how many rows a sick, hacking person was near you.

When I hear there is a significant illness on board a ship, I stay away from the buffets. It is disgusting when you see how some people use their hands at the self-serve buffets.

Flu shots are all unique in their formulations and are developed on the basis of ANTICIPATED seasonal active viruses in the local area. My flu shot here will likely not cover why I am exposed to on a cruise ship due to it's international clientele. And it certainly did not cover what I recently came home with from EQ! However what is useful is herd immunity, that is, the more people are immunised can passively protect those that are not as the number of contagious individuals is fewer.

"Moral of the story, the next time I even think I am getting a cold or flu I am hotfooting it to the Med Centre and getting Tamiflu. I never want to go through that again"

I came down with Influenza B (positively diagnosed) less than a week before our Feb '16 cruise to the Virgin Islands on the Constellation. The Doctor perscribed Tamiflu, the side effects of that stuff can be worse than the Flu! The first night, after taking the second pill of the day, I passed out and vomitted all over myself while unconcious. I stopped taking it after that incident. We eventually missed the cruise because I had not recovered before our flight was scheduled to leave.

The cost of Tamiflu can be quite high (depending on insurance) costing up to $100 for a 5 day treatment.

The Doctor told me with Tamiflu you'll feel like cr*p for 3 days instead of 5 days if you do nothing other than rest and fluids.

Never again with Tamiflu for me.

Flu can only be diagnosed with a test.[/Quote]

Not in UK, we are told NOT to go to the Drs if you have a cold/ flu, just take paracetamol.

This worried me, as my husband's cough was getting worse and he had pains in his chest. Eventually I persuaded him to go to the Drs, as he has previously had pneumonia ( when I was in hospital after the birth of our 46 yr old daughter) He now doesn't have full lung capacity.

He was diagnosed with a chest infection.

He said this has been the highest temperature and worst experience apart from his pneumonia.

Not in UK, we are told NOT to go to the Drs if you have a cold/ flu, just take paracetamol.

This worried me, as my husband's cough was getting worse and he had pains in his chest. Eventually I persuaded him to go to the Drs, as he has previously had pneumonia ( when I was in hospital after the birth of our 46 yr old daughter) He now doesn't have full lung capacity.

He was diagnosed with a chest infection.

He said this has been the highest temperature and worst experience apart from his pneumonia.

The NHS strikes again.

I'm guessing that since he was dx with Influenza A, he probably was tested. Otherwise ascertaining whether it's A or B is impossible.

I'm a pediatric nurse, and it's absolutely NOT TRUE that the flu nasal spray is less effective and makes a child more susceptible. Of course, the very young and very old are by nature more susceptible to any illness, and influenza is especially dangerous. And BTW, nobody is forced to take the nasal spray. It's entirely optional. If your grandson's pediatrician doesn't offer both, I'd take him elsewhere to receive the vaccine if that's what his parents prefer. But both are pretty much equally effective.

The minimum age to receive the nasal spray is 2 and the max is 49. In addition, anybody with an underlying medical condition (heart, respiratory, etc.) should receive the injection and not the nasal spray.

To those who received a flu vaccine and still got the flu, take heart. Chances are you may have gotten a worse case had you not had the vaccine. Many years ago, when I first worked in the hospital, I came down with flu that progressed to pneumonia and was laid up in bed for 11 days. Last year I did get the flu (although I had the vaccine, a kid who ultimately tested positive for Flu A coughed directly in my face (so close I felt the "mist" of his cough hit my face). So, of course, 3 days later I was dx with flu. But instead of being in bed for 11 days, I was laid up for about 5 days. IMO, the worse part of flu are the body aches.

To those who wonder if it's a cold vs flu, there are significant differences. A cold comes on slowly, with a scratchy throat, nasal congestion, a cough, a general feeling of malaise Typically adults don't run fever with a cold. The flu comes on like gangbusters. One minute you feel fine and the next you're in bed with a high fever, chills, horrific body aches, headache and cough. Some have vomiting, but that is not usual.

So in summary, my advice is whether you travel on cruiseships/airplanes, etc., or not, get your flu shot every year.

Now I'm stepping down off my soapbox!LOL