Port of Miami - What to do with my luggage after disembarking?

ngod

Hey all! New to the forum and some what new to cruising. Going on my second cruise on board the Carnival Glory in May out of POM and I am trying to plan out what I should do in between disembarking and my 5pm flight from MIA. Its going to be my first time in Miami and was hoping to check out South Beach. So my question is, what is the best thing to do (and economical) as far as storing our luggage? Does anyone know how early I can check in my bags with American Airlines in Miami International?

Hey all! New to the forum and some what new to cruising. Going on my second cruise on board the Carnival Glory in May out of POM and I am trying to plan out what I should do in between disembarking and my 5pm flight from MIA. Its going to be my first time in Miami and was hoping to check out South Beach. So my question is, what is the best thing to do (and economical) as far as storing our luggage? Does anyone know how early I can check in my bags with American Airlines in Miami International?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would ask on the Carnival forum if they still offer Luggage Express in your situation. This is a service that takes your bags from the ship directly to your airline.

Here is the Carnival forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Good luck!

Edited by clarea

Welcome to the boards!

We used Luggage express on our last Carnival cruise from Miami - best $20 I ever spent. Put your bags outside your door with the tags and they transported them to MIA and checked them in -- I did not see my bags again until we landed in Washington.

Your other option is to taxi to MIA ($27+tip), pay to store your bags there, and then ride the Airport Flyer bus from MIA to South Beach for under $3 each way. :cool:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/routes/150.pdf

Edited by JohninDC

Other is to check with Royal Caribbean to see if they offer the bag ship program directly from the ship to your home airport.

They are sailing on Carnival doubt RCCL would take their bags for them

There is a very easy and cost effective way for you to do this. Every time I cruise out of Miami, I take a late flight back to Atlanta because it's much cheaper. I debark with my luggage and take a cab to MIA and store my luggage at Terminal E, second level. Cost is about $7-$8... From there, I take the Metromover to the Metrobus Central Station located next to the airport. Buy a day pass for $5.65 and take the Airport Flyer bus (#150) straight to South Beach. The ride takes about 20 minutes. From there, you are free to explore the entire South Beach and surrounding areas on foot, or just hop on any local bus with your day pass. When you're ready to return to the airport, just catch the #150 bus back to MIA and retrieve your luggage and head to your security gate... All of this info plus the bus route maps can be found on the MIA website.