Belgium

peteukmcr

Sincere condolences to all those affected, friends and families alike in light of today's atrocities in Brussels.

How do you think the cruise industry will react to stops in Zeebrugge, Ghent, Antwerp and Ostend?

Are you concerned about docking at these ports, considering many cruise lines are no longer stopping at Istanbul due to the terrorist attacks in Turkey?

Concerned about cruise ports in general more like considering the ones that have been lost. Istanbul used to be the gateway to the Black Sea. Now the Black Sea is hardly worth sailing to with the loss of Crimea. Add Egypt, most of North Africa and many more we might as well just go for a sail and forget ports.

Maybe that's the thinking behind the modern "resort ships" where all you need is on board. That's a joke by the way.

David.

Yes so sorry for everyone involved. Someone on one of cruise Facebook pages who lives in Belgium and is trying to get home has just said life has stopped in Belgium at the moment.

I am not sure that P & O putting great big Union Jacks on the front of their ships is a good and safe idea in these uncertain times.

As far as I am aware, we are still docking in Zeebrugge this coming Saturday. I'm not particularly concerned. I liken it to declining to visit Southampton because of a terror attack in London, i.e. bonkers. As a society we cannot flourish if we live in fear.

My heartfelt wishes go to the people of Belgium whose government and law enforcement agencies have consistently let them down.

Carnival monitors the situation closely and keeps in close touch with and adheres to Foreign Office advice.

They have posted on their Facebook page this morning in answer to a question on this :-

We are aware of the ongoing incident in Brussels this morning and are monitoring the situation extremely closely. Our passengers will be the first to know if we make any changes to Britannia's call this weekend.

Edited by Scriv

Yes so sorry for everyone involved. Someone on one of cruise Facebook pages who lives in Belgium and is trying to get home has just said life has stopped in Belgium at the moment.

I am not sure that P & O putting great big Union Jacks on the front of their ships is a good and safe idea in these uncertain times.

I think that they have proved to have the "know how" of where and who to bomb so I don't think they wouldn't know it was a British ship just because it wouldnt have the Union Flag on the front. They have proved that they are well organized and everything they do is well planned and they have the "intelligence".

Yes, this is terrible, but is probably in retaliation to the recent arrests. It has only happened today, so Brussels in chaos, but I don't see cruise ships stopping their stops in Belgium. It can happen any place, any time.

I lived in London during the IRA bombings and in Spain when ETA was bombing. As terrible these incidents are, life has to continue.

My friends went to Paris a couple of days after the bombings there and encountered enhanced security, so felt safe.

As far as I am aware, we are still docking in Zeebrugge this coming Saturday. I'm not particularly concerned. I liken it to declining to visit Southampton because of a terror attack in London, i.e. bonkers. As a society we cannot flourish if we live in fear.

My sentiments exactly. I would be extremely annoyed if my up coming cruise did not call at Zeebrugge as planned, What kind of solidarity would that be showing to the Belguim people by hitting their tourism

I wouldn't worry particularly about Belgium as cruise companies have been quite conscious of a potential terrorist attack against a cruise ship and have taken every reasonable precaution for some years.

Though I must admit that looking out from deck at Southampton one morning while waiting to disembark it struck me that there were 5 large cruise ships in port that morning and several of them were bunkering. What a tempting terrorist target and so very vulnerable to a simple attack from anyone already on board. I trust that they take internal security just as seriously.

A few years ago I was on Aurora in Turkey and she was anchored about a mile offshore while we tendered in. One of a group of rather silly young men decided he would swim back to the ship but left his cruise card with his mates. When he arrived, exhausted, he was guided to the pontoon by security staff but without his cruise card was left in the sea hanging onto the pontoon and not allowed back onboard.

It took a long time for him to be allowed to board (after his friends had returned his cruise card to staff and identified him I think) and he was summoned to see either the Captain or Deputy and given a stern warning. His friends said security staff were armed and well prepared for the unexpected and that they felt there was no chance at all of someone unauthorised even getting near never mind aboard.

It's made me feel better about security ever since, and I know that since then procedures have been stepped up; at that time there was no warning sign on the side of the deck telling boats etc to keep at least 50 metres away.

Seen that the Britannia is calling in Le Harve via the Facebook page. Couple of awful responses from some 'passengers' however needs must. Unfortunately cruising can't guarentee you're going to a port weather, strikes and terrorism all contribute to a change or cancellation yet some think its a given that they are going.

Le Harve isn't too bad a port at all. Good little town with more on off than Blankenberge for shuttle bus passengers and good links to further in France. Even the possibility of Paris for those tempted.

Fair Play to P&O they could have done a cruise to no where which has happened before...

I wouldn't worry particularly about Belgium as cruise companies have been quite conscious of a potential terrorist attack against a cruise ship and have taken every reasonable precaution for some years.

Though I must admit that looking out from deck at Southampton one morning while waiting to disembark it struck me that there were 5 large cruise ships in port that morning and several of them were bunkering. What a tempting terrorist target and so very vulnerable to a simple attack from anyone already on board. I trust that they take internal security just as seriously.

Sorry to ask but what does bunkering mean?

Zeebrugge not happening this Saturday, off to Leharve instead.

If this in on the ordereds of Belguim authorities due to current lockdown, then fair enough, but if it were P&O acting unilaterally, then I would not be pleased

If this in on the ordereds of Belguim authorities due to current lockdown, then fair enough, but if it were P&O acting unilaterally, then I would not be pleased

It is unlikely that this is on Belgian orders but having had an email from a Belgian friend this afternoon I would think that P&O are being cautious, my friend says that a lot of her colleagues are cancelling planned trips over Easter because they are on the highest level of alert and they think that there could be other attacks particularly in popular tourist attractions.

It's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation for any cruise line. Personally, whilst it would be disappointing, I'd rather they erred on the side of caution if they felt the risk too great. That said, these things could happen anywhere at anytime. Balance of risk is key.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have issued a travel advisory recommending that UK citizens do not travel to Belgium unless it is essential. So I think P&O have based their decision on this. With the country in lockdown and no public transport it would not be a fun visit to what is a very industrial port.

Eddie

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The last thing the Belgium authorities need is a British ship berthing in Zebrugge which they would have to guard. They have enough on there plate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My sentiments exactly. I would be extremely annoyed if my up coming cruise did not call at Zeebrugge as planned, What kind of solidarity would that be showing to the Belguim people by hitting their tourism

It is these sort of comments and the worse ones on Facebook who are complaining of not being able to go where they want to go that make me despair of some people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35872562

Read the above and you will see that when push comes to shove Europe is not in a safe place at the moment.

I agree we do no give into these humans ,but equally when a country is trying to get back to normality , and getting their transport system back to normal the last thing they need to deal with is a bunch of tourists .

Trying to find somewhere a ship this large can berth at, and set up tours at very short notice is no easy matter. Pando would have been guided by the FO, who have already said only essential travel should be considered there at the moment.

If Pando cancel a port then go with the flow . They do not make the decision lightly.

I guess I will just keep on despairing of some peoples attitudes.

My sympathies too are with those affected by the most recent terrorist action. To be sure other incidents and attacks will occur somewhere sometime in the free world. But one way to beat it is to carry on living as normal as possible taking prudent action to preserve personal and group security. It is worthy of note that current FCO advice, as at today 0915hrs, does NOT advise against visiting Belgium see below extract:

Still current at:23 March 2016Updated:22 March 2016Latest update:

Following explosions at Brussels airport and Maalbeek metro station in Brussels on 22 March, police operations are ongoing and transport and the mobile network may be subject to disruption. You are advised to remain vigilant and follow the instructions of the Belgian authorities

Following explosions at Brussels airport and Maalbeek metro station in Brussels on 22 March, police operations are ongoing and transport and the mobile network may be subject to disruption. You are advised to remain vigilant and follow the instructions of the Belgian authorities.

There were explosions at Zaventem International Airport and Maalbeek station in Brussels on 22 March 2016. The airport is currently closed. Eurostar is operating a limited service to Brussels. See the Eurostar website for further detail. Public transport in Brussels is now operating.

The Belgian threat level is Level 4 – a serious and imminent threat. You should remain alert and vigilant, stay away from crowded places, and follow the instructions of the Belgian authorities. You can find more information on the Belgian Crisis Centre website and Twitter feed.

The Belgian Crisis Centre has given the Belgian telephone number +32 2753 7300 for concerned family/friends or 1771 (+32 7815 1771 from outside Belgium) for general enquiries. If you’re worried that a relative may have been affected you can also call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 0000.

There have been a number of police raids and arrests in the Brussels region and other Belgian cities in recent weeks. Belgian security operations are likely to be carried out at short notice. If you’re in an affected area you should follow the instructions of the Belgian security authorities. Police have asked the public not to comment on police operations on social media.

Public events and busy public areas across Belgium are likely to see additional security. Some public events may be cancelled and some tourist attractions closed. Contact event organisers for information on whether specific events are going ahead.

You should check this travel advice for updates and subscribe to email alerts.

i may be wrong ( it has been known occasionally...:D) but I would imagine that more passengers on Britannia this weekend would be worried about going to Belgium than would not.

Whatever P & O decided to do would be wrong for some people. personally, if I were on this cruise, I would prefer Le Havre to Zeebrugge on this occasion. That is not giving in to terrorism, just adopting a bit of risk management. I wouldnt want to be stuck in Zeebrugge with no transport to Bruges or anywhere else. Le Havre is actually not a bad place, and Honfleur a little gem.

Nowhere in Europe ( or in the world to be honest) is 100% safe these days. We all have to live with that.