How extensive are ships pharmacies?

tbtma

Ok here is my issue, leaving on the Gem in a few weeks. I'm prone to contact dermatitis, I usually have an outbreak a few times a year & see a dermatologist for this. More often than not the dr will prescribe a course of prednisone & usually a cream. Im currently having an issue so my dr will not prescribe meds for something I currently don't have ( she is very much by the book) I've asked her to write me a prescription for the prednisone & cream because of the fact that we will be away in the even of an outbreak, but she wont do it. So....I was just wondering how extensive a ships pharmacy may be, I know the carry the usual type of stuff, maybe even antibiotics, but prednisone or something like that ??

Thanks!

Bonzo

Ok here is my issue, leaving on the Gem in a few weeks. I'm prone to contact dermatitis, I usually have an outbreak a few times a year & see a dermatologist for this. More often than not the dr will prescribe a course of prednisone & usually a cream. Im currently having an issue so my dr will not prescribe meds for something I currently don't have ( she is very much by the book) I've asked her to write me a prescription for the prednisone & cream because of the fact that we will be away in the even of an outbreak, but she wont do it. So....I was just wondering how extensive a ships pharmacy may be, I know the carry the usual type of stuff, maybe even antibiotics, but prednisone or something like that ??

Thanks!

Bonzo

I've no idea what strength pred cream you ordinarily use, but it's available OTC in (I think) 1% formulation.

But on a separate topic, if your physician won't give you supplies of a possibly needed medication when she *knows* you might be in the middle of the ocean, I'd think you've got a different problem - your physician.

Our physicians ALL are more than happy to give us *any* meds we might reasonably need, even if we usually take them rarely. Neither they nor we assume the ship will have what we need.

It seems like we travel with a mini-pharmacy, most of which isn't used on any single trip.

On the other hand, DH did have a medical emergency on the Dawn, and we found the Med Center and staff to be excellent.

His physician later said that what the ship's physician did was exactly what she would have done had DH arrived at our nearby large teaching hospital ER.

(But of course, the ship's med staff can only use whatever meds/devices they have at hand on board, and that's part of your question...)

Would the OTC pred cream work for you in a pinch IF necessary?

And I cannot imagine the ship wouldn't have oral or inhalation form steroids. There are too many possible reasons it could be needed.

But that's *NOT* a definite yes to your question, of course.

[DH was given oral and inhaled steroids immediately, if that's any help.]

Good luck!

Thanks you soooo much for your reply, that makes me feel a bit better! Im going to actually appeal to my dr. again, maybe by swearing on a stack of bible's not take the meds if I don't need them !

Bonzo

I don't know that you can rely on the ship to have what you would need. I agree with the comments above that your dr is a problem. If you have a condition that regularly occurs and requires meds upon an outbreak, and you travel, your dr should be giving you a travel supply. I would be having a stern conversation with the dr re the risk to which she is needlessly subjecting you and making sure she understands the medical limitations of a cruise ship.

Good luck!

I also agree that you need to seek out a new doctor if she won't give you a prescription for something you may need and will have no access to if needed. I do not know if the ship's pharmacy has what you need, but if you do need to go to the infirmary it could be very costly.

We have a very good rapport with our doctor in New Zealand and NEVER have had a problem getting enough of any medication we are taking for our prolonged absences from NZ. If yours "won't play the ball" change to another.

Mike

I also agree that you need to seek out a new doctor if she won't give you a prescription for something you may need and will have no access to if needed. I do not know if the ship's pharmacy has what you need, but if you do need to go to the infirmary it could be very costly.

About the cost issue... anyone with any medical condition that even *might* need attention while traveling (on a ship, port, or land tour) really should make sure they have insurance coverage - either their regular health insurance (covering travel wherever you are going) or travel insurance.

The potential cost is one thing, solved per above.

But there is only one type of "insurance" that will guarantee you access to the meds you need when you need them, and that's YOU. You need to bring them with you if there is any chance the consequences could be grave (or even just uncomfortable, etc.).

Perhaps you could check with a travel clinic, just for travel needs, if you otherwise want to stay with your physician (although her response is still very troubling). They would certainly understand the need and uncertain accessibility.

I am a asthmatic so Prednisone is something I need quite often. Before I cruise I always ask for a RX for it just in case and he is happy to write for it and any other meds he thinks I need to have on hand.

remind your physician that this is a ongoing chronic issue and you know how to deal with it. That if you get a flare up you will see her after your trip.

My guess is the pharmacy will have prednisone and most likely a steroid cream but maybe not the one you use. The cost will also include a visit to the med center plus medications.

I can't imagine what your physician thinks you're going to do with those prescriptions....it's not as if they're narcotics!

I would count on the pharmacy having anything widely prescribed, but not any specialty medications. It seems as if Prednisone is used for asthma based on some of the responses, so in all likelihood they would have it. I know that they have a wall full of medications on Carnival, but that probably includes medications that have already been required for certain crew members. I think that you should go back to your doctor or go to an Urgent Care facility and request a prescription just in case.

Are you cruising to Mexico? Some medications in Mexico are sold over the counter legally where as in the US they require a prescription. They are the exact same medication, by the same manufacturers, just sold legally over the counter.

At the cruise port in Cancun and Cozumel there are pharmacies right at the cruise port. I stop in and stock up on Retin A because I've been on it for a decade and it's easier than making a doctors appointment, taking time off work just to renew this prescription. It's the exact same brand and strength and packaging as sold in the US. (Johnson and Johnson) and requires no doctors visit or prescription because it's legally sold over the counter.

I don't have any idea about your medication but it's worth a check. It would be very stressful in your situation knowing you have regular occurrences but no way of obtaining medication if you need it.

I would be doing two things if my PCP refuse o give me an rx for a chronic problem. I would go to a Travel Clinic or Urgent Care Center and get the prescriptions just in case. I would then go on my cruise with peace of mind knowing that I had the appropriate drugs in case I needed them. When I returned from my cruise I would be finding a new PCP ASAP. Never would I ever entrust my healthcare to him/her again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I also visit pharmacies in different countries when I cruise. Some of the items I bought do not work as well as our USA items. Supposedly they are the same but are not. I know in Belize and Cabo I buy with confidence. I shy away from other ports as somewhat less potent.

OP here, Thanks so much for all the reply's & advise ! A couple of things, no we are not traveling to mexico, but I have bought some things from the pharmacies there & I agree, they don't seem to be as potent. We are going to San Juan, St, Thomas, St. Maarten & Tortola, I don't think any of these ports will have over the counter type of pharmacies..

What is a travel clinic ? Ive never heard of that. Also I would think if I went to an urgent care center, I would probably have the same problem as with my dr. wouldn't I ? Would they prescribe something for an issue where I don't currently have a flare up ?

Thanks once again!

Bonzo

Thanks you soooo much for your reply, that makes me feel a bit better! Im going to actually appeal to my dr. again, maybe by swearing on a stack of bible's not take the meds if I don't need them !

Bonzo

The only steroid cream that is OTC is hydrocortisone . I cannot recall seeing that in the regular ship store .

If you need dexamethasone or triamcinalone cream you need a prescription and would have to go the the health center. Same with non steroidal Elidel or Protopic

I think you meant oral prednisone tablets?

You can get those , but also requires a trip to the ship's Doctor.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise

Your doctor is acting a bit odd on this.

We regularly send steroids with kids/ adults that may have asthma exacerbations while out of the country .

These parents and patients know their bodies and know not to take steroids if not needed. The side effects alone are enough to make the idea silly..

I hope she reconsiders.

No one wants to spend $$ and TIME at the ship health center!

Have a great cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Heading on a European cruise this summer. Mentioned it to my doctor, and he told me to call the office before I go and pick up an extra prescription for my hypertension meds just in case. Of course, nobody is going to be hitting the black market with lysinopril, but still, he doesn't want to see me without a drug I clearly need.

OP here, Thanks so much for all the reply's & advise ! A couple of things, no we are not traveling to mexico, but I have bought some things from the pharmacies there & I agree, they don't seem to be as potent. We are going to San Juan, St, Thomas, St. Maarten & Tortola, I don't think any of these ports will have over the counter type of pharmacies..

What is a travel clinic ? Ive never heard of that. Also I would think if I went to an urgent care center, I would probably have the same problem as with my dr. wouldn't I ? Would they prescribe something for an issue where I don't currently have a flare up ?

Thanks once again!

Bonzo

They won't UNLESS you explain that you are going to be on a *ship* without access to any land-based medical care.

(And many - most? - physicians will also prescribe travel supplies for land-based travel, so one doesn't need to go to a strange ER in a foreign country, especially for any conditions where the patient clearly knows how to deal with it.)

What isn't clear is how a different facility (especially urgent care) would feel about an Rx that you aren't getting from your regular PCP.

Even if you don't mention that, it's an obvious question.

A travel clinic might be more understanding, especially if in your area for some reason (???) physicians don't want to provide limited supplies for this purpose [but NEVER heard of this problem before, unless there is some other problem].

If you have a large medical center near you, call and ask if there is a travel clinic. Or look online and see what might be in your area.

But do make sure you have insurance, as the ship's medical care can add up. We found the charges modest, given the type of care they provided, but it still wasn't "cheap". (I can't imagine the charges at our big city hospital ER for the same thing... that would have been many times higher.)

And again, re-think your relationship with your physician. There seems to be a trust problem, and that's not a good thing.

It's especially odd for the meds you are mentioning, given you'd need a limited amount.

Thanks once again!

Bonzo

I've always found doctors at Urgent Care Facilities to be very capable and accommodating. You could try calling one close to you and explain the situation. Are these drugs something that could be used for recreational purposes? I just don't get your doctor's response. It seems irresponsible to me. Does your husband or your kid(s) have a different doctor? Perhaps you could call them.

I am an R.N. and work with two Primary Care doctors and I do not think your request to have on hand a steroid cream and prednisone taper for your trip is an unreasonable request. The doctors I work with often accommodate similar requests from their patients, as well does my own doctor. I suggest you make another call to your doctor with your medication request, and if the answer is still no I would call a few local walk-ins to see if they will accommodate you.

Absolutely find another doctor if yours won't give you the prescription!! I just got a prescription refill for a steroid pack that I took once for a back flare up. It worked so well that I asked for one to keep on hand for when I travel and my PA quite understood and gave it to me.

Had to use Gem MD a few years back. Very impressed with the care. Did obtain several meds from her inc. antihypertensive,antibiotic and benadryl injections. Get receipts as insurance did reimburse me for most of the charges

OP-

I really do wish you the best of luck getting this all sorted out. But as others have said, I really do believe this may be an issue of your Doctor and nothing else. It's hard to realize sometimes until something like this happens, but your doctor should have your best interest at hand. Surely they understand your concern of being in the middle of the ocean with a limited pharmacy available to you. If your doctor can't understand that, then I would certainly look for one that can!

Is this your primary Dr or the Dermatologist that won't write the prescriptions?

If it is your primary call the Dermatologist, if its the Dermatologist call the primary. And explain the situation. My primary and my dentist give me scripts when I tell them I am traveling on a cruise ship with no problems. if neither one will write a script then I would find a new dermatologist and get an apt and explain the situation. or try the urgent care centers

Edited by tumblew467