On ship charging question

We'll have our 3 kids (12, 15, 16). We want to give them each $100 to spend on the 7-day cruise. They can spend it on board, in port, wherever.

If we give them each a Visa Card, can they use that for purchases on board or can they only use the room key to make purchases on board?

Thank you in advance

We'll have our 3 kids (12, 15, 16). We want to give them each $100 to spend on the 7-day cruise. They can spend it on board, in port, wherever.

If we give them each a Visa Card, can they use that for purchases on board or can they only use the room key to make purchases on board?

Thank you in advance

You can only use the SeaPass card (room key) for purchases on board.

You can only use the SeaPass card (room key) for purchases on board.

Thank you both. This is hard. I can see them wanting to get things on the ship and buy food (snacks) that aren't complimentary... the cupcake place is $$, no? and i know DS15 will eat Johnny Rockets 4x day if he could. I can also see them watching to get fun things in port. DD16 loves to buy her friends things when we go on vacation. She rarely comes home with something for her, it's always for her friends.

Maybe we'll do a split, some for onboard some on a card for in port. Thank you!!

Thank you both. This is hard. I can see them wanting to get things on the ship and buy food (snacks) that aren't complimentary... the cupcake place is $$, no? and i know DS15 will eat Johnny Rockets 4x day if he could. I can also see them watching to get fun things in port. DD16 loves to buy her friends things when we go on vacation. She rarely comes home with something for her, it's always for her friends.

Maybe we'll do a split, some for onboard some on a card for in port. Thank you!!

You can also limit the purchases on the child's SeaPass card by visiting Guest Services, and this works for all venues except the arcade.

Edited by clarea

About 6 years ago - my youngest son managed to charge hundreds of dollars on his seapass card in the arcade. It was not pretty. For anyone!

Every cruise since, the unfortunate arcade issue has been addressed again and again. It's almost funny - now. Guest Services can set up the limits. Thank goodness!!

Maybe we'll do a split, some for onboard some on a card for in port....

My un-asked-for advice - would you consider plain ol' cash for port? Not only will smaller vendors balk at a prepaid VISA card, but here in my area of Canada, we are charged a "service charge" just to buy the pre-loaded card. Stinks. :p

,'

My un-asked-for advice - would you consider plain ol' cash for port? Not only will smaller vendors balk at a prepaid VISA card, but here in my area of Canada, we are charged a "service charge" just to buy the pre-loaded card. Stinks. :p

Good advice! If the kids just want to buy trinkets or inexpensive gifts they will need cash. Realize a prepaid Visa is different from a regular Visa, but many vendors take only cash. Stores that take Visa often have a minimum purchase, which might be more than their purchase.