Koningsdam's Christening ......

sail7seas

Just received a HAL email Mariner 'Invitation" to the Christening cruise.

Interesting that all the upper level balconies are sold out, but they are pushing the cheap seats.

After I started this thread, :D I got that e-mail.

Seems I've been scolded for asking. :rolleyes: But no one yet provided the date. Rather than a link, couldn't you answer the question? When and where is it? Maybe someone else would like to know.

I have no interest in reading your roll call. I simply asked for fact. When and Where.

Hope all who attend have a wonderful time. Cruise ship Dedications are great fun!!

Edited by sail7seas

I remember the christening of Nieuw Amsterdam.

Holland America made and put online a video of this event.

Shot in Venice harbour, we saw all the captains of the fleet boarding the ship from a vaporretto. It was a very well done auto promotion.

I've also had the opportunity to cruise NA on her second journey from Venice and back travelling by Turkey and Greece (14 days).

Holacanada -

After I started this thread, :D I got that e-mail.

Seems I've been scolded for asking. :rolleyes: But no one yet provided the date. Rather than a link, couldn't you answer the question? When and where is it? Maybe someone else would like to know.

I have no interest in reading your roll call. I simply asked for fact. When and Where.

Hope all who attend have a wonderful time. Cruise ship Dedications are great fun!!

You now have the invitation. Did the invitation include the dates?

I remember the christening of Nieuw Amsterdam.

Holland America made and put online a video of this event.

Shot in Venice harbour, we saw all the captains of the fleet boarding the ship from a vaporretto. It was a very well done auto promotion.

I've also had the opportunity to cruise NA on her second journey from Venice and back travelling by Turkey and Greece (14 days).

Holacanada -

They streamed Nieuw Amsterdam's Christening live and I remember watching a Captain from each HAL ship participating. I agree it was very well done...... as was Noordam's Dedication in NYC. That was tremendous fun. :D

No reason to think mine is any different than everyone else's. ;)

Does yours?

Here is the opening of the Invitation:

As a valued member of the Mariner Society, you’re invited to enjoy special fares not available to the public on the Christening Cruise of our newest ship — the magnificent ms Koningsdam.

Delight in special programs, including guest speakers, port guides and more. Plus, on the eve of the ship’s christening, enjoy an unforgettable Inaugural Gala Dinner followed by the Royal Koningsdam Ball. The breathtaking Queen's Lounge will become a grand ballroom as we celebrate this historic occasion with an elegant evening of music and dancing.

<snip>

This Dedication seems to be very different from those HAL has done for all the recent HAL ships since Statendam and forward.

Edited by sail7seas

Does yours?

This Dedication seems to be very different from those HAL has done for all the recent HAL ships since Statendam and forward.

Thx for posting that sail. I'm not invited :D;).

We were not "invited" either... I feel unloved.

BTW, there is far more info to be found on line about the christening cruise than the premier voyage. (& we embark in 2 weeks)

Koningsdam looks like a magnificent ship- & while I am jealous of those fortunate enough to participate in the dedication & all its special events... I am excited for all of us to enjoy her journeys!

For those who got the marketing email from HAL, many thanks for sharing this info. I'm booked on this cruise so didn't get this email (but I don't get emails from HAL in spite of repeated phone calls to the Mariner Society to request them but that's another matter).

The text Sail7Seas quoted describes the Gala Dinner and Ball as happening on the "eve of the Christening". I'm wondering if the info in this email gives any hint as to whether this means the evening before (May 19) or the evening of the day of the Christening (May 20)??

I ask as I currently have an excursion booked for May 19 and will get back to the ship later than I'd like to get ready and fully participate in the dinner and ball. We have the option of not doing the excursion or doing it the next morning (which would mean missing the actual Christening as I know that happens the morning of May 20).

I typically think of the eve of something as the night before but there are a few things that lead me to question it here (e.g., all of the excursions heading out after the ship docks at 2pm that will get back later on, the fact the higher category staterooms are available up to May 19 but have been fully booked for May 20 on since last summer suggesting there may be VIPs staying on board after the christening but not the day before, etc.).

I called HAL to ask but they have no info and didn't even know about the info described here in the marketing email. So, for now, I'm hoping the email some of you received sheds more light on when the ball happens so I can make the best arrangements for our time in Rotterdam.

On the chance there is more info in the email, I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

My dutch cruise agent told me: The christening wil be May 21 in Rotterdam at Around 14.00 h local time.

After that ,the ship is leaving Rotterdam and is going straight to Amsterdam (same day) and there She Will be received with a big fireworks!

On the terminal in Rotterdam and Amsterdam are live webcam es so maybe we can see so meting of the festiviteit. :)

Burny

Edited by burny

Does yours?

I got it too unfortunately cannot accept

My dutch cruise agent told me: The christening wil be May 21 in Rotterdam at Around 14.00 h local time.

After that ,the ship is leaving Rotterdam and is going straight to Amsterdam (same day) and there She Will be received with a big fireworks!

On the terminal in Rotterdam and Amsterdam are live webcam es so maybe we can see so meting of the festiviteit. :)

Burny

I believe you mean the afternoon of May 20th--The Koningsdam is scheduled to leave Rotterdam at 7:00 pm on May 20 and arrive in Amsterdam at 7:00 am on May 21.

Received an e-mail today about Private Sales.. Included in the e-mail was this info on the Koningsdam:

Christening Cruises

Reserve today to enjoy once-in-a-lifetime Christening events, including guest speakers, a Taste of the Mediterranean deck party, Gala dinner, Royal Koningsdam Ball and Naming Ceremony.

13-Day Christening Cruise

12-Day Mediterranean Mosaic

Rome to Amsterdam Depart May 9, 2016

In addition to the Christening events, guests can enjoy a private event at the Rijksmuseum upon arrival in Amsterdam.

Unquote

Looks to me like the actual "Naming" ceremony is May 21 when it reaches Amsterdam..[

IMO this would be an exciting cruise to be on../SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Received an e-mail today about Private Sales.. Included in the e-mail was this info on the Koningsdam:

Christening Cruises

Reserve today to enjoy once-in-a-lifetime Christening events, including guest speakers, a Taste of the Mediterranean deck party, Gala dinner, Royal Koningsdam Ball and Naming Ceremony.

12-Day Mediterranean Mosaic

Rome to Amsterdam Depart May 9, 2016

In addition to the Christening events, guests can enjoy a private event at the Rijksmuseum upon arrival in Amsterdam.

Unquote

Looks to me like the actual "Naming" ceremony is May 21 when it reaches Amsterdam..[

IMO this would be an exciting cruise to be on../SIZE]

Many thx for sharing this. This is the first I have heard of the museum event and have purchased tickets for another museum the morning we get to Amsterdam. Very frustrating not to have enough information to plan our time better but I expect to have a great time anyway!

I have been chastised by others on this board for suggesting that it's strange Hal is not sending out more information and marketing on the new ship.

The fact that there is so much confusion over something as big as the christening is not surprising to me.

I have been emailing with the ship services coordinator and even they are not aware of the fact that those of us on upcoming sailings still cannot book many of the onboard services online.

We just have to pray that onboard coordination will be much better than that exhibited pre sailing

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yes, the ship leaves Rome May 9, the invitation reads, on the eve of the Christening there will be a gala ball, the ship will be overnight in Rotterdam on May 19 an then overnight on the 21st in Amsterdam, if it will be Willem Alexander who does the christening then they won't give more details until closer to these days...