Crew dining and drinking in uniform

windsurferfirst

Captain Stubing and his crew have drinks all the time with passengers.

LOL, yep. I re-read this thread and for those who don't know, the more senior crew, captain included, have traditionally eaten and had drinks with passengers.

For an interesting glimpse into the "old days" find the book "Nothing Can Go Wrong" by John D. MacDonald and Captain John H. Kilpack. Not a particularly great or even well written book, but, a good story none the less. A look at what cruising was like before the age of "mass-market" cruise lines. Plus, some pretty funny stories.

Edited by ar1950

What the OP saw was officers in uniform which is required when in guest areas. There are other officers than the bridge officers such as the hotel officers, engineering officers, communication officers etc. To me it is good to have them around in the guest areas as they are experiencing what we guests are experiencing both the good and the bad. Hopefully when they see the bad, they will do something about it. I personally have approached the first uniformed person I saw when I see a problem such as when I saw a pax spill coffee on the piaza stairs and continue on their way. It needed to be cleaned up immediately before someone slipped and fell. The officer took care of it. With regard to the drinking alcohol, in Europe where a lot of the officers come from alcohol is consumed with most meals in moderation. It is their tradition born from past centuries when water was not safe to drink.

As I've stated, international law allows a BAC of 0.04% when "performing designated safety, security and marine environmental duties". Since nearly all crew are assigned to emergency duties, which can happen at any time, day or night, most flag states, and hence the shipping companies that flag their ships there, will use this BAC level as a 24/7 rule, while on the ship.

• 1 month later...

I worked for Princess for 7 years and when I was on the Emerald doing the 12 day Batlic run, it became a regular thing for most of the photo team who were off on the first night to go to the Crown Grill or Sabatini's as usually they are fairly quiet on the first of a cruise and we still pay the $25 cover charge and tip generously as well! So Princess would still make money off the crew!

Thank you for your first hand comments.

I recently sailed on Oasis of the Seas and saw staff eating in the restaurants every night, as well as at various lunch venues around the ship. I thought it was so refreshing to see them enjoying themselves and a nice meal. Yes, they were drinking as well, not getting drunk though. They were in normal clothes, but with their name tags on. They work so hard for us, it's nice to see that they get some much needed time off. I actually think it's better that they're so visible around, I know some people believe that they are all there just to serve them :rolleyes:. I also saw some of the entertainers at a beach club in Cozumel too. Remember, we're just visitors to their home :).

When my daughter worked on Celebrity ships as part of the Cruise Director's team she was allowed to drink in the public areas so long as she had her uniform and staff badge on.

I had no complaints as it meant I got 50% off the drinks price when she was with us!

Ok, Ok, Ok. I am waving a white flag.:eek: My intentions were never to suggest they shouldn't eat with passengers, I was happy to see them there. This was my first cruise so I did know it was the norm.

I am a Brit living in Canada I am in no way prudish about alcohol believe me.

Perhaps its time to move on and forget I mentioned it.:)

"Originally Posted by chengkp75

I think the OP is concerned about the image that is presented when officers are seen drinking in the guest areas wearing the company's uniform."

This is exactly it.

-------------------------------

OP, I don't think your post is a silly concern at all. I've learned a lot from some of the experienced cruisers here. It makes sense that a ship at sea is sort of a special world, where you will see officers eating, drinking and mingling (glad of that) because this is where they are LIVING for months or years at a time.

Now... if this was a "Flight Forum" and we were all talking about airline pilots in uniform camped out in a bar, I'm pretty sure the responses would be a whole lot different here.

Thanks to all for the informative responses!

Officers and crew are on the ship 24/7 and must appear in uniform in guest areas. That's a whole lot different than a flight crew at an airport bar where one can presume that the only reason they are at their "place of work" is that they are getting ready to work.

The cruise line employees have strict standards as to when they are allowed to drink and how much they may consume in relation to their time to report for duty. And anyone--officer or crew--showing up for scheduled duty time in any way impaired is in serious trouble and will likely be fired. Anyone noted to be violating the policies regarding how much they may drink will be disciplined.

On some lines, it takes a special permission to be seen drinking in guest areas. On others, it is a daily occurrence. But I seriously doubt that any line has policies that permit an employee to report for duty impaired, whether that impairment occurred in guest or crew areas.

Officers and crew are on the ship 24/7 and must appear in uniform in guest areas. That's a whole lot different than a flight crew at an airport bar where one can presume that the only reason they are at their "place of work" is that they are getting ready to work.

Thanks. That's what I was trying to say. Oy. :)