Last minute cruise deals if you are close to port

plunker

I thought i remembered reading that if you lived within a few hours of a cruiseport and a ship wasnt full that they would send out a mass email for those signed up with great deals. Am i dreaming this or do cruiselines really do this to fill up the ships?

I thought i remembered reading that if you lived within a few hours of a cruiseport and a ship wasnt full that they would send out a mass email for those signed up with great deals. Am i dreaming this or do cruiselines really do this to fill up the ships?

When signed in to My Princess in the upper right hand corner is My Profile which takes you to other options including requesting the Standby Program.

I'm flexible & an hour away from the Port of LA but have never received a last minute offer. Instead I check the Drop & Go offers on the Princess website to find some amazing deals.

If we weren't already on a cruise next month we would have booked an inside cabin on a 14 day transatlantic cruise...$1280/pp for cruise fare, fees and roundtrip airfare. We couldn't just drive to the port but for that price would have driven to LAX to fly to FLL & back from Europe. :)

Guess with such great offers "yield management" doesn't need to send many last minute standby emails. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

i booked tuesday for this sunday march 27th. it was not in reply to an e mail from princess nor the drop n go. i looked at the website,noticed the price was lower than before and booked it. strangely when i got my booking confirmation it was noted that this was an e mail offer which it was not.

I too have booked within three days of sailing, since 9/11, even after the website says the sailing is no longer available for sale. It wasn't a smoking deal but it was decent enough and we certainly appreciated the flexibility.

Just out of curiosity, when did you do that and on what cruise line? Since most ships are full when sailing and with the new security changes I would think those days were long gone.

As long as TSA (or whatever) has all the passenger info two hours before departure, the security requirements are met.

So if you book on embarkation day and check in before the two hour deadline there is no problem.