Engine trouble on Grandeur

This morning while my husband and I were in Medical to have him examined and treated for noro (yeeaaahhhh) Captain Mattias came on the intercom and explained that due to loss of power in one engine, we have to cancel the call at Labadee so we can limp back to Baltimore on time.

Due to my illness on Thursday, we (me and my husband) didn't get off at St. Kitts either. Essentially, half the ports for this cruise were neither modeled nor rendered for me :rolleyes:

This is easily the worst cruise I've ever been on but I don't think it's anybody's fault, exactly. I feel bad for the kids who missed Labadee today. But they did add some activities and movies to the revised Cruise Compass and most people I've overheard are pleased with the Captain's decision.

Sinusoid...sorry for the medical issues you and your DH are having.:( Hope you are both feeling much better soon and that the bug is contained ASAP!

Also sorry to hear about the engine problems.:eek: Hope they can get that issue handled efficiently and quickly too. I am looking forward to boarding one month from today!:D Please keep us posted on any further info you hear about the situation.;) Thanx.

Also sorry to hear about the engine problems.:eek: Hope they can get that issue handled efficiently and quickly too. I am looking forward to boarding one month from today!:D Please keep us posted on any further info you hear about the situation.;) Thanx.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! Will try to update on any engine news. Typing on an iPad is so godforsaken clunky.

Sorry your cruise has been interrupted. Hope things go smoothly getting back to Baltimore.

Is there a lot of Noro on the ship? Bad enough to have engine trouble but if the virus is going around too that is really rough!

Sorry for your being down with Noro along with the loss of Labadee. I have been on cruises where engine problems impacted the itinerary and they did compensate with onboard credit on at least one of them. i hope your husband recovers quickly and you can enjoy a bit of the rest of your cruise. Do you think the Noro is pretty widespread on the ship? We are onboard April 9th so it's a bit worrisome news. All the best to you.

Supposed to be sailing March 30th, hope they get things fixed by then.

Have a safe trip back!

Cap'n said it went out last night and they were working on it all night but just needed more time and couldn't afford to take the chance that we wouldn't get back in time if we stopped. We've had no further announcements and no noticeable loss of speed. Deck 3 forward is nice and bouncy, just how I like it!

I trust the ship will be repaired for your cruise. Let us know how it goes!

Sorry your cruise has been interrupted. Hope things go smoothly getting back to Baltimore.

Is there a lot of Noro on the ship? Bad enough to have engine trouble but if the virus is going around too that is really rough!

I don't know how prevalent it is. I was the only one in medical on Thursday night but it was pretty crowded this morning. I don't know what anyone was there for.

And before anyone accuses me of being Typhoid Mary, we were at sea FOUR DAYS :eek: before I fell ill. Pretty sure I got it on the ship!

They've been pushing the hand sanitizer stations but haven't resorted to crew service in the buffet. I haven't cruised RC in a few years so I don't know if the harping about the sanitizer stations is SOP now. I use them religiously but I know they aren't as effective as hand washing... I figured if I eat at the buffet I should probably wash my hands AFTER filling my plate but before actually eating. Lesson learned, right??

Sorry for your being down with Noro along with the loss of Labadee. I have been on cruises where engine problems impacted the itinerary and they did compensate with onboard credit on at least one of them. i hope your husband recovers quickly and you can enjoy a bit of the rest of your cruise. Do you think the Noro is pretty widespread on the ship? We are onboard April 9th so it's a bit worrisome news. All the best to you.

He's already feeling better. We've both had it before and this was comparatively mild. I don't think it's very prevalent but I can't be certain (see above).

The one advantage of losing Labadee is that we wouldn't have gone ashore regardless so now the entire ship has to be deprived along with us. :cool:

Thanks for the information, I hope you both feel better soon. That's not great news to hear about. I am going on my first cruise on this ship in May.

My boyfriend who is not going on the cruise (and has never been on one) is convinced that cruise ships are full of noro. I thought that was just paranoia but now it looks like it is indeed on this ship. Just great. :p

I hope the rest of the cruise improves for you and that the engine issue isn't too serious.

So sorry about the bad luck!

We were on the Grandeur last May and loved the cruise. We had such a great time, we booked 2 more cruises. I can't tell you how much time we spent on Deck 9 by the pool or in the Solarium.

Hope everything works out well and that you get back safely.

I attended the Captains Corner talk this morning. Captain elaborated that the engine issue was due to a leak in the engine oil heat exchanger. The problem would be repaired en route during return to Baltimore and would not impact the 3/30 sailing.

For my trouble and the rest of my fellow passengers, we were all given a 20% cruise fare refund applied to our on board account. Any remaining credit at the end of the sailing would be refunded to our credit card on file.

Thanx for sharing the latest skinny on what is happening on Lady G. Glad that things are under control and well on the way to being ship shape again.;) Sounds like the passengers are being well compensated for the missed port. Happy that no future cruises will be impacted by this problem.

I attended the Captains Corner talk this morning. Captain elaborated that the engine issue was due to a leak in the engine oil heat exchanger. The problem would be repaired en route during return to Baltimore and would not impact the 3/30 sailing.

For my trouble and the rest of my fellow passengers, we were all given a 20% cruise fare refund applied to our on board account. Any remaining credit at the end of the sailing would be refunded to our credit card on file.

That is an interesting way to compensate the cruisers (see highlight above). Most of the time it is a fixed amount of OBC rather than a sliding scale dependent upon cruise fare booked. It will surely go against the sea pass tab that people have and whatever remains some people may not like as a credit to the credit card on file. But there probably is no alternative to that.