Taxi instructions to board Regal in Fort Lauderdale?

j3000

The original poster is on Regal, leaving from berth 2.

There is no longer a security checkpoint encountered to reach

that terminal (or the convention center)

Taxis enter very early. They have to collect disembarking passengers.

And the original poster sailed last Sunday. EM

Cabs, car services, etc. have to pay for an annual permit

to enter the port.

Seems wrong that Uber does not.

In FLL and Port Everglades Uber is incurs access fees that are paid for by the passenger (http://ubersouthflorida.com/broward/):

FEES

Similar to tolls, fees will be added to fares originating at FLL Airport and Port Everglades. These fees
will not
be deducted from your earnings. Instead, they will be charged to riders.

FLL Airport Fee:
$4.50 per pick-up

Port Everglades Fee:
$2.00 per pick-up

They are also required to be identified as Uber drivers:

Trade Dress ("U Sign") Required In BROWARD COUNTY

You must display trade dress ("U" Sign) on your vehicle when operating in Broward County. This includes pick-ups or drop-offs at Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades. You will be subject to penalties if you are caught operating without trade dress.

Edited by capriccio

You must display trade dress ("U" Sign) on your vehicle when operating in Broward County. This includes pick-ups or drop-offs at Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades. You will be subject to penalties if you are caught operating without trade dress.

Um ... the 'trade dress' I have seen displayed looks like

anyone could download and print at home. Simply a piece

of paper taped to the inside of the window.

And, I was not referring to access fees, which are something different.

I was referring to permits.

http://www.broward.org/PERMITTINGANDLICENSING/CONSUMERPROTECTION/INDUSTRIESWEREGULATE/Pages/VehicleforHire.aspx

Edited by pablo222

This is against the law. So be aware. Some taxi drivers try to change you PP for the ride back to the airport from the cruise. There were 5 of us going back to the airport the meter was at $13.00 and he wanted $8.00 pp 40.00 total. I always give them $20.00 this time I gave just $13.00 and told him I will call the police if he wanted. He took the $13.00 and grove away. There is even a sign outside were you get the taxi telling you that it's not aloud to charge PP.

Tony

This is against the law. So be aware. Some taxi drivers try to change you PP for the ride back to the airport from the cruise. There were 5 of us going back to the airport the meter was at $13.00 and he wanted $8.00 pp 40.00 total. I always give them $20.00 this time I gave just $13.00 and told him I will call the police if he wanted. He took the $13.00 and grove away. There is even a sign outside were you get the taxi telling you that it's not aloud to charge PP.

Tony

How about being "charged" extra for check-in sized luggage. Is it allowed? Though I don't mind giving "tips" inclusive of that.

How about being "charged" extra for check-in sized luggage. Is it allowed? Though I don't mind giving "tips" inclusive of that.

About 2 years ago, I had a great experience at Terminal 2.

A girl who didn't speak much english asked me to help her

get a cab to the galleria.

There was a BSO deputy directing traffic / loading cabs.

He sent us to one cab. The cabbie had an entire made up

story about how far it was, and how much it would cost;

so we walked away.

The deputy came over and asked us what happened. He

said the fare had to be what was on the meter. He made

the cabbie leave without a fare, and go to the back of the

taxi line.

An excellent experience with law enforcement!!!

(probably not so much for the cabbie)

Ahoy! OP here. FWIW... We checked out of our hotel about 12:30 (The Airport/Cruiseport Inn, which was fine BTW - great staff!)) Asked them about a taxi vs their shuttle (@$6 ahead). I said i'd take whichever got there first. Shuttle got there in about 10 mins - like they said it would! So too shuttle. Glad I did. a breeze getting to the port "area". But spent a bit of time in traffic there to reach the actual terminal area where you drop passengers. No experience with uber, but I could imagine the taxi meter adding up as we inched our way along. Got to the drop area, got out & gave the shuttle guy $15 & were on board boat maybe ... 10-15 mins later. No problemo.

I don't think that is allowed. The driver was trying to make some extra money.

I am going to find out if this is allowed. If anyone knows the answer please post it.

Thank You, Tony

About 2 years ago, I had a great experience at Terminal 2.

A girl who didn't speak much english asked me to help her

get a cab to the galleria.

An excellent experience with law enforcement!!!

(probably not so much for the cabbie)

I guess it was the girl you helped who had more of the excellent experience....from you!:)

Ahoy! OP here. FWIW... We checked out of our hotel about 12:30 (The Airport/Cruiseport Inn, which was fine BTW - great staff!)) Asked them about a taxi vs their shuttle (@$6 ahead). I said i'd take whichever got there first. Shuttle got there in about 10 mins - like they said it would! So too shuttle. Glad I did. a breeze getting to the port "area". But spent a bit of time in traffic there to reach the actual terminal area where you drop passengers. No experience with uber, but I could imagine the taxi meter adding up as we inched our way along. Got to the drop area, got out & gave the shuttle guy $15 & were on board boat maybe ... 10-15 mins later. No problemo.

Happy for you OP. Enjoy your cruise!

A taxi from any 17th st. hotel is $10, the minimum charge an never any traffic. From the airport area it is about $15. Don't know what uber costs, but it can't be much cheaper than that.

We took Uber from our 17th st hotel to the port. The charge was $5.83 total for two people with 3 bags. Uber says that the tip is included, but we gave the driver a few dollars. The driver was prompt, the car was clean. Uber is the way to go in Fort Lauderdale. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would take Uber.