Caribbean Cruises: Price Difference Between Silhouette and Reflection

stickey_mouse

I'm looking at Caribbean itineraries for next winter. The Silhouette and Reflection sail very similar itineraries, yet the Reflection is always a bit cheaper. Why is this? Because it has more cabins and therefore less demand? Or is it because there is higher demand for Silhouette's Sunday departures?

Price difference always comes down to demand. The Celebrity website indicates Reflection has capacity for 160 more people which really isn't a big amount.

I assume that the Sunday sail date must be more popular.

I've often noticed differences (even a year in advance) for similar sailings and have always figured it is due to higher bookings on the more expensive cruise.

I wondered that myself when we were booking. I always thought Saturday departures would be more popular. We prefer them because we like the extra recovery day on Sunday at home before going back to work. I imagine they have to keep the prices fairly consistent between the two or one would cannibalize the traffic from the other since they are nearly identical sailings.

Seems from our experience the time of year is the most important factor. Price is about the same in most categories. If the ship isn't full, the month or so before prices drop for either the Silly or Reflection. The ships that I believe are the "least expensive" are the M Class. But they offer lesser amenities and have fewier venues in many areas. Having said that, my DH and I love them all!

I like a Saturday departure as you have the day to recover before work. However sometimes a Sunday departure with a midday flight works and gives you a day before to fly down and not miss work- if you work from Monday to Friday.

While I prefer Saturday to Sunday, I much prefer Fort Lauderdale to Miami to start a cruise. Easier getaround, better hotel deals. A lot of hotels in FLL have cruise pkgs that allow parking for the length of the cruise, and shuttles to the port. Lots of luck in Miami.