Sunshine Sofa? Fridges? Handicap Father Question. HELP!!!

caddykid12

Dad's never been on a cruise got the sunshine out of NYC for a good price....

He is diabetic and insulin dependent. 8th floor rooms do not have fridges!!??? Since when? His sugar levels are to inconsistent to have it stored behind GS every night.

Secondly I'm very worried that the sunshine sofas look smaller in length! I've been on the pride and splendor where they have the orange/peach color sofa. Just remove the back cushions and makes a bed. Pics of the sunshine show a darker brown couch that seems to be more square like a love seat rather than long and lengthy like the peach color sofas. So are they in fact the same size!???

Any other things I should know about this ship as its a class of its own. I don't need anymore surprises!

I have booked the premium Vista wrap but that sofa looks super small to fit a 3rd person in the cubby hole corner. The premium balcony room seems to have such larger longer sofa so I may drop down to a 9B.

Just trying to make this an enjoyable cruise as my father may not be around much longer :/

Sunshine is one of the older ships in the fleet. The older ships don't have fridges in every room. It wasn't until Conquest & Spirit class that we started having fridges in every room. Sunshine (formerly Destiny) is older than those ships. Previous poster is correct that you should be able to get a fridge through special needs.

Regarding sofa lengths, it's true that this ship uses shorter sofas for some of the rooms. This is a unique aspect of Sunshine, Triumph, & Victory. However, those shorter sofas are never meant to also be a bed. I'm guessing that you have 8328 booked, since I'm seeing something on a website saying that it has a single sofa bed for a 3rd person, so that sofa should be the normal long one. cruiselinerooms dot com shows 1 picture of the sofa tucked away around the corner, but it's not a good enough pic to tell for sure if it's the long one or not. It looks like the long one to me. I would want to stick with that, because the aft wraps are very nice!

This ship is in a class by itself. When they changed it from the Destiny to the Sunshine, a lot of changes were made. Many things got eliminated on the ship, to make room for more staterooms, more bars, different food stations, a big serenity area, a ropes course, & new waterslides. Some of the eliminations include a much smaller theater, but the shows aren't that great, as well as the shrinking of other nighttime venues. Also, only 1 real pool, as the serenity "pool" is very tiny. There are plenty of claims that the ship is very crowded, with all the added staterooms, but many people have said that it didn't seem any worse than other ships. Learn which places tend to get crowded & when, then avoid those spots at those times.

Edited by k2excursion

The single sofa bed is a bit different. It is put together so that it can be basically disassembled to form a base and a mattress is put on the base of one side of the couch. You will still have the other side to sit on but it will remain a bed during the cruise.

Just off the Sunshine last week in rooms 8161 and 8163. Both rooms had a fridge in it. Was pleasantly shocked as TA told us they would not. Couches only about 4-5 feet long, one side opened to pull out bed and seat remained on other side. Sorry, no pics of couch

They have never had a fridge. Call Special Needs and they can get you a refrigerator. Sorry I can't give you the length of the sofa, but here is a picture if that helps.

Thank you for providing that pic in your post. The sharp angle of that pic could trick the mind into thinking that it's the short sofa, but it does look like the long one to me.

Just off the Sunshine last week in rooms 8161 and 8163. Both rooms had a fridge in it. Was pleasantly shocked as TA told us they would not. Couches only about 4-5 feet long, one side opened to pull out bed and seat remained on other side. Sorry, no pics of couch

The fridge was a nice surprise there, perhaps left over from the previous week, if those people had requested one. Some people are able to get one, even if they don't have special needs. They just ask the steward for one, and they get it, although it's not guaranteed if there is not a special need. Your 2 rooms are both 2-person rooms, which means that the sofas could be the shorter ones, 4-5 feet. However, if those were rooms where the sofa needed to be a bed, then the sofas would have been the long ones, 6+ feet long.

Edited by k2excursion

Special needs can also provide a sharps container for used needles and lancets.

As cb at sea says, many modern insulins can last for long periods (30+ days) without refrigeration. You may want to check with the manufacturer, pharmacist, or doctor for the particulars of the brand being used.

Most insulin nowadays doesn't need refrigeration once it's in use.

This. I work in a hospital and there is no type of insulin we keep that needs refrigeration after it has been opened. We store the new, unopened bottles in the refrigerator, but once opened, it lives on the counter in the med room or in a specific patient drawer. We label ours for 28 days once opened. I would definitely check on this before stressing out over it.

This. I work in a hospital and there is no type of insulin we keep that needs refrigeration after it has been opened. We store the new, unopened bottles in the refrigerator, but once opened, it lives on the counter in the med room or in a specific patient drawer. We label ours for 28 days once opened. I would definitely check on this before stressing out over it.

Yes. Perhaps the OP can let us know what he's on:)

Caddy,

We sailed the Sunshine in December, we were very surprised to find that our 5'3" daughter was much too tall for the sofa! This was a lido deck, balcony cabin.

Can't tell you how unusual it is for us to visit GS with a complaint! Anyway, "the fix" was to add an extender to the sofa, didn't work very well, didn't stay in place. We managed, in my opinion, this cabin should not be a triple for three adults, our daughter is 22. I usually don't have a lot of surprises because I do research before booking, but this time I had no clue. In any case we had a great cruise!

Teri

Contact Special needs for a medical fridge for the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can assure you that does not always work on the Sunshine. I was supposed to have one on our cruise last fall for my diabetic DH, got the confirmation from Special Needs, actually got two confirmations. Never came, never arrived and we gave up.

What we have learned is to take a cooler for the insulin, just think of it as YOU have to plan to store the insulin and you CAN'T depend on Carnival to provide you the method in which to do it.

Does anyone know about the sofa beds in the new cabins on deck 5? We have 4 big boys in one room and I assumed the sofa bed was the size of a regular bed. I also assumed the seat cushion came off and there was an actual mattress that came out. Is that the case or are you just sleeping on a sofa with sheets on top?

Does anyone know about the sofa beds in the new cabins on deck 5? We have 4 big boys in one room and I assumed the sofa bed was the size of a regular bed. I also assumed the seat cushion came off and there was an actual mattress that came out. Is that the case or are you just sleeping on a sofa with sheets on top?

You are sleeping on the seat of the sofa, with sheets on top. The back cushions of the sofa are removed. The seat of the sofa is pretty much the exact size of the standard beds. I think the width is 1 inch less. It is not a pullout. There are some suites that use a double pullout sofabed, which sleeps 2 people. But the single sofabeds in balconies & oceanviews are not pullouts. I have slept in the single sofabed on 4 cruises. My friend had one of those double pullouts, and the single sofabeds are much more comfortable than that double pullout.

You are sleeping on the seat of the sofa, with sheets on top. The back cushions of the sofa are removed. The seat of the sofa is pretty much the exact size of the standard beds. I think the width is 1 inch less. It is not a pullout. There are some suites that use a double pullout sofabed, which sleeps 2 people. But the single sofabeds in balconies & oceanviews are not pullouts. I have slept in the single sofabed on 4 cruises. My friend had one of those double pullouts, and the single sofabeds are much more comfortable than that double pullout.

Wow, that is so surprising. I sure thought it would have been a real bed. Might need to take my own egg crate. Thanks for the info!

when I was on The Sunshine 2 years ago I found it strange that they went through a $120 million makeover and didn't add fridges to the rooms....especially with the "resort" look , feel they achieved

• 2 weeks later...

Sunshine has the smallest bathrooms at sea! Take a door stop to hold the bathroom door open or it will hit your back as you brush your teeth.

Take a collapsible cooler if the fridge isn't a go. Steward kept filled with ice daily. Put it in the shower as it will condense.

Sunshine has the smallest bathrooms at sea! Take a door stop to hold the bathroom door open or it will hit your back as you brush your teeth.

Take a collapsible cooler if the fridge isn't a go. Steward kept filled with ice daily. Put it in the shower as it will condense.

The bathroom doors open in? Every cabin I have ever been on the bathroom door opens out and there is a magnet on it to hold it open.