Question about food preference issues

Mytime2014

One of my travel companions will not eat anything with onion. She doesn't read the menu, but then when food arrives with onion - she sends it back.

I realize I'm an enabler, but in order to have a pleasant meal - I will tell the server [fast food to nice restaurant] please make sure there is no onion anywhere on her plate. :rolleyes:

What is the best way to handle this in the MDR [we have ATD]? On a nightly basis, or talk to the Maitre'D? thinking about it now, with 2 of my friends having significant food issues, we probably should have done fixed seating so the staff would know after a couple of nights!!

Hard for me to imagine - I look at the menus and I want this and this and that one and can I have both of those....there just are not many things I won't eat.

You should read the menu and if unsure ask the wait staff. Not sure what your friend expects if they won't look at the menu...

Yes, I realize that...but in order to enjoy the meal and to make others at the table have an uninterrupted service... I will suggest it.

I was asking if there was a way to handle that ahead of dining? As in, would speaking to someone ahead of time make a difference. Plus, sometimes things do come with onion when it doesn't say so...

Yes, I realize that...but in order to enjoy the meal and to make others at the table have an uninterrupted service... I will suggest it.

I was asking if there was a way to handle that ahead of dining? As in, would speaking to someone ahead of time make a difference. Plus, sometimes things do come with onion when it doesn't say so...

Send an email to icare@carnival.com with booking number and notate any special needs requests; this should come up when they scan the card at the front desk to seat you. Also mention to maitre D; even with anytime dining if you plan to be there about the same time each evening and have the same wait staff they may bring the next nights menu for you to check out and pre-order.

Send an email to icare@carnival.com with booking number and notate any special needs requests; this should come up when they scan the card at the front desk to seat you. Also mention to maitre D; even with anytime dining if you plan to be there about the same time each evening and have the same wait staff they may bring the next nights menu for you to check out and pre-order.

Awesome - thank you for the address. It's such a picky thing and lately when I'm not in a hurry, I try not to enable and just go ahead and enjoy my food, but when it holds up table service argghhhhh

Treat the onion aversion as an allergy. Onboard they will not remake something immediately on demand to avoid a disliked food.

Upon boarding speak with the hostess in the MDR. It's usually open between 1-3 on embarkation day. The hostess will take that night's order. Every night after that the hostess or your waiter will take the next day's MDR order.

We travel with serious food allergies. Never had an issue with ATD dining. At ATD the hostess will give your special order slip to your waiter when seated.

Buffet is a minefield with cross-contamination. Talk with the hostess or Lido Chef. The line chefs mean well but they do not know everything. At least she won't have an issue with the desserts.

Onshore we use an allergy card in English and the local language. I made mine up but they can be purchased at selectwisely.com.

Edited by SadieN

One of my travel companions will not eat anything with onion. She doesn't read the menu, but then when food arrives with onion - she sends it back.

I realize I'm an enabler, but in order to have a pleasant meal - I will tell the server [fast food to nice restaurant] please make sure there is no onion anywhere on her plate. :rolleyes:

What is the best way to handle this in the MDR [we have ATD]? On a nightly basis, or talk to the Maitre'D? thinking about it now, with 2 of my friends having significant food issues, we probably should have done fixed seating so the staff would know after a couple of nights!!

Hard for me to imagine - I look at the menus and I want this and this and that one and can I have both of those....there just are not many things I won't eat.

I wouldnt want your friend as a customer that is for sure. Others in this thread have given you good suggestions. We talk to social host/hostess daily as my DW has many food allergies

Seriously? When I read this the first time, I thought it was an April Fool's joke. Your travelling companion hates onions but won't tell anyone until the plate arrives and then sends it back. This person needs a big attitude adjustment. My oh my are they self-indulgent and wasteful.

As for what you could do... inform the maitre d' for ATD. Even if you do not get the same wait staff each night, you will be greeted the Maitre d' who should get to know you and help save you some discomfort.

Wow, still cannot believe the arrogance of this one.

Edited by cynalan

Seriously? When I read this the first time, I thought it was an April Fool's joke. Your travelling companion hates onions but won't tell anyone until the plate arrives and then sends it back. This person needs a big attitude adjustment. My oh my are they self-indulgent and wasteful.

As for what you could do... inform the maitre d' for ATD. Even if you do not get the same wait staff each night, you will be greeted the Maitre d' who should get to know you and help save you some discomfort.

Wow, still cannot believe the arrogance of this one.

She "forgets" to ask because she's distracted... sweet as can be on all other things. Maybe because I'm the type to pick out what I don't like or just eat anything that lands in front of me - I don't get it! I'm the easy one out of the four...waitstaff is gonna love me!

But when the chef comes out to talk about this - look out for the reaction when she realizes how much "unknown" onion is used in sauces and seasoning...

I have a sister that has convinced herself she has an onion aversion as well. The look on her face when she was confronted with how much "safe" food she enjoyed had ground up onions...

Good luck...I have no better advice - just a lot empathy for you - but none for the onion averse! :)

She "forgets" to ask because she's distracted... sweet as can be on all other things. Maybe because I'm the type to pick out what I don't like or just eat anything that lands in front of me - I don't get it! I'm the easy one out of the four...waitstaff is gonna love me!

She doesn't forget each time, she likes the attention. Have her preorder then YOU WILL have a better vacation without any resentment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I love onions.

I don't like chocolate covered strawberries. I'm Platinum and they send a plate full every cruise. Just sent email to special needs that I'm allergic and could something be substituted? I'll see how that works on my 4/8/16 cruise.

Maybe Chocolate covered onions? Sorry I couldn't resist!! :) I will take your CCS and bring you onion rings! Wa-La!

Treat the onion aversion as an allergy. Onboard they will not remake something immediately on demand to avoid a disliked food.

I'd be careful with this. So many people say they're allergic or intolerant to things just because of distaste or other reasons, that servers start to not take legitimate allergy issues as seriously. Every server I know has a story about the "lactose intolerant" person who had no problems drinking milk, or the "allergic to tomatoes" person who wanted the tomato left off the salad but had no problem with their pasta and marinara sauce. :rolleyes:

For the sake of people who do have dangerous allergic reactions to some foods, I think it's a good practice to not fake an allergy just because of a distaste for a particular item.

I am not allergic to onions but I detest them. Really really hate them. Tiny amount in a sauce I can handle but otherwise I will not eat. Tomatoes, I am very sensitive to them and will vomit for 1 to 3 days after eating them. But I check over the menu thoroughly and stay clear of those things. Just ask the wait staff and they are more then willing to help.

I'd be careful with this. So many people say they're allergic or intolerant to things just because of distaste or other reasons, that servers start to not take legitimate allergy issues as seriously. Every server I know has a story about the "lactose intolerant" person who had no problems drinking milk, or the "allergic to tomatoes" person who wanted the tomato left off the salad but had no problem with their pasta and marinara sauce. :rolleyes:

For the sake of people who do have dangerous allergic reactions to some foods, I think it's a good practice to not fake an allergy just because of a distaste for a particular item.

Many people have food allergies that will cause migraines (DW) or even death. Hate when people do things like this.

Actually there is a big difference between a raw and a cooked tomato. I break out in gives from a raw tomato but can easy cooked without a problem.

Strawberries two, but only sometimes. Where I live, we get flats of strawberries straight out of the field. I sample one and if I do not feel the tingling after about ten minutes, I can buy them, otherwise, I just itch for a while on the way home. I have about a fifty fifty chance of getting the strawberries.

We travel with severe allergies and some aversions. Lots of people do not have allergies but strong aversions. Many in the Autism Spectrum have aversions to textures, colors temp etc.

You're lucky if you have no food aversions. It really puts a damper on eating out when you have a severe aversion.

I'm a person you're talking about with the aversion to tomatoes. Commercially processed tomatoes are very different than fresh tomatoes. If I can not have them taken off (minestrone soup) I'll just put them off to the side. All fresh tomatoes go to others that like them.

Ever try picking small diced tomatoes off an American style taco? Absolutely horrible experience. If I can avoid it I will.

Best servers are the ones who ask if I'm allergic to tomatoes.

Onboard it is best to treat it as an allergy. I didn't say to 'say' it was an allergy.

Onboard it's best to follow their protocols. They're set up for special food requests, ie low sodium isn't an allergy but you follow the same process as an allergy-- See the hostess and preorder.

Edited by SadieN

I agree with this - it dulls the edge of awareness when 75% of people are "allergic" and then someone who truly is allergic may not get the attention to detail they need.

I agree with this - it dulls the edge of awareness when 75% of people are "allergic" and then someone who truly is allergic may not get the attention to detail they need.

For the same reason HC no longer go to the front of the lines in Disneyland. Those who didn't need it abused it.

I don't particulary like onions either, actually they don't like me, give me heart burn. But if I order something with them on it I just remove them, my dH will eat them, I would never expect someone else to remove them nor would I return a dish I had ordered because of them.

She doesn't forget each time, she likes the attention. Have her preorder then YOU WILL have a better vacation without any resentment.

Yes, this ^^^

In a less professional environment, the wait staff will return the dish miss onion and with something special added

Have a family member, (not immediate family), but visiting occasionally, who has the same issue with garlic. For years, said family member happily came to family gatherings, but pushed food around on her plate, and ate little. Then a few years later, she arrived at our house and entered to proclaim, she smelled garlic and would not be eating much. Family member is much loved, but also loves to be center of attention, and food, diet seems to be her way of getting it.

Just saying that for years we knew nothing of her issues with garlic, but only needed to know once, just not to include it in our meal prep. Me, personally love garlic in my food, not too much, but just a bit, yet I could leave it out for a dear family member who hates it and comes to my home for dinner.

Heads up, is the best way. Give all a heads up, before cruise if possible, or at least first visit to MDR. Just don't leave it up to chance. Onion is an ingredient in most meals, to add flavor.

edit to add. funny thing was, that we often have boursin cheese as a nibble before dinner, and she lapped it up, and proclaimed how delicious it was, yet that stuff is full of garlic! lol!

Edited by SMSACE6
afterthought