Insect repellent for kids

mom02

Does anyone have experience with a great EFFECTIVE insect repellent that is safe for kids? Preferably a non-Deet formula. I've read about Picaridin, Bite Blocker and Permethrin as good alternatives. Anyone have experience with these? Do the kids mind the odor of the natural repellents?

Avon Skin so Soft. The original formula. It's not marketed as insect repellant. They have another line for that. But the original formula handles the giant mosquitos we get in TX, so it is always my go-to. Find a rep or buy on Amazon.

I like skin so soft too. Also, I tuck bounce dryer sheets in my pockets and tie on to the outside of my backpack. Mosquitoes hate the scent for some reason. At home I even tie the dryer sheet to my dogs leashes to keep the gnats away from them and when I lived in the Caribbean where I didn't have window screen I would tuck dryer sheets under the sheets on my bed. Worked like a charm.

Do not, repeat, do not put permithian directly on your skin or your children's skin. It is supposed to be put on clothes as it is neurotoxin that kills insects not repel them. It is also toxic to cats as they have a very low tolerence for this solution. I spray my hunting clothes down with it and let it dry for several days before going out in the woods. Have seem ticks and other insects land on my clothes and die very quickly afterwards. Again it is not designed as a repellent.

I know I will sound like a broken record but I know if this was my child I would be asking my physician rather then asking here. I know that lots of terrific information is provided on this board but just like medications I would want to bet my information from a medical professional.

Keith

There was someone that had set up a card table just outside of Anchorage at Potter Marsh several years ago selling Avon Skin So Soft. It didn’t last long. There is apparently some benefit but there’s no way that would be my primary choice for mosquito repellent. If you’re trying to stay away from DEET and as you mentioned, Picaridin seems to work.

I tried oil of lemon eucalyptus last spring and found that, for me, it works as well as DEET and what I’ve stuck with. As Keith indicated, this should be a question for the doctor since many products haven’t been tested and approved for children.

I would also contact your child's physicians office to get a recommendation.

Keith

My pediatrician's office put me in touch with a group that works with the CDC and could offer me the most current info. They recommended for children over the age of 6 months to use insect repellent with Deet at a concentration between 30-50%. They felt that the extended release (where you only apply every 8-12 hours) works best for little kids as there's no need to reapply unless you're sleeping out where there's mosquitos. I asked about non-Deet formulas and they couldn't speak to their effectiveness. They assured me that the 30-50% Deet formulas were safe (ages 6 months and up) to use on children all day.

Sawyer brand was recommended and lotion applications rather than sprays. That way it's easier to tell where it's been applied and won't accidentally get sprayed in a child's eyes or mouth. Apply sunscreen first, wait 30 minutes, then apply the repellent. Oh, and they felt using Permethrin wouldn't be necessary for an Alaska cruise. :o

Mom02, if your only going on a cruise and not doing a land tour into the interior of Alaska I don't think your going to need any insect repellent. We've been on a lot cruises and excursions and have never used any kind of insect repellent.

We've never seen them on the ship or tour boat and rarely see them in port unless venturing out more rural away from town. While looking for moose I did see one last week which was early although we have had very little snow and warm temperatures.

We've never seen them on the ship or tour boat and rarely see them in port unless venturing out more rural away from town. While looking for moose I did see one last week which was early although we have had very little snow and warm temperatures.

I hope that's the case! My parents visited Alaska a couple of years ago and told us they couldn't finish their hike because of the mosquitoes! We will be there mid - late June and were worried especially for the little ones. Thanks for the encouraging words! They help put my paranoid mind at ease :D

Agree with many of the previous posters that your physicians office or the CDC's comprehensive website are your best sources of info. However note my screen name and realize that I gave this kind of advice for 35 yrs. Deet preps that have controlled applicators are your best bet.

However do not go overboard as to which days you need repellent. Pass on sea days as well as days in the towns. If anything consider use if you are hiking in the woods, etc. I have personally cruised multiple times to Alaska and lived in Sitka for a summer. Never used repellent myself and rarely if ever bitten but now my DW would probably say the mosquito's have better taste. Enjoy the trip the kids will have a ball