Florida City to Key West to MIA in a day?

sweetpee_1993

We are flying into MIA on a Thursday 2 days before our cruise in May. We really wanted to make the drive down to Key West. We are renting a car and have a room booked at the Home2 in Florida City. Will that location make the drive down to Key West on Friday morning easier in terms of time? We had planned to drive down in the earlier morning, have lunch, do a little wandering, then drive back to the Homewood Blue Lagoon at MIA. My other son & inlaws will be arriving very late the night before we sail, hence the hotel close to the airport.

We've been to Key West on port stops several times. I was just reading some other threads about the drive and now I'm a bit nervous. Is this an unrealistic plan? I've looked at hotels on Key West for the Thursday night. I suppose that's what I should've done to begin with but yikes at the prices! (Expensive hotels + resort fees + parking = $$$$!). I booked the Florida City Home2 on an advanced purchase price which I'm sure is non-refundable. Still yet, I'm looking at those Key West hotels and considering ditching the money and going for it.

So unsure what to do! I've even considered talking the husband and son into just staying at the Margaritaville Resort in Hollywood but I know they'll nix that. They want to do the drive!

If you don't mind the drive, it's doable, and is definitely the more affordable way to do it. That said, be warned that the drive, especially the one back, can be pretty boring. There is a long section where the only scenery is a blue highway divider. Because to stay alert. It helps if you can switch drivers.

That is a grueling drive.

I agree that starting out in Florida City is smart but, damn. That is too much for one day.

The BEST case scenario is 8 hours there and back.

If you get caught in an accident, and there is a fatality, you'll be sitting in traffic for at least six hours. In Monroe County, the coroner has to be on site for a fatality to remove the body from the scene. There are only 3 coroners in the county and that includes all of the keys and a big chunk of the Everglades.

The drive is gorgeous but the driver can't sight see. Traffic is two lanes and just taking your eyes off the road for seconds is what causes all the accidents.

My suggestion would be to drive to the 7 Mile Bridge and back. Have lunch in Islamorada.

I've made this drive hundreds of times and all kinds of things happen. Remember it is 150 miles of two lane roads with strict speed limits.

Edited by BlueHerons

I agree that starting out in Florida City is smart but, damn. That is too much for one day.

If you get caught in an accident, and there is a fatality, you'll be sitting in traffic for at least six hours. In Monroe County, the coroner has to be on site for a fatality to remove the body from the scene. There are only 3 coroners in the county and that includes all of the keys and a big chunk of the Everglades.

The drive is gorgeous but the driver can't sight see. Traffic is two lanes and just taking your eyes off the road for seconds is what causes all the accidents.

My suggestion would be to drive to the 7 Mile Bridge and back. Have lunch in Islamorada.

I've made this drive hundreds of times and all kinds of things happen. Remember it is 150 miles of two lane roads with strict speed limits.

Agree!!

Thanks so much for the input and advice. I really appreciate it. So just wanted to update: talked to hubby again this morning. Read him all your responses. I called Hilton and was referred to the Advanced Purchase Dept. The nice person there gave us the option to pay a $25 cancellation fee on the existing "non-refundable" room and rebook an advance purchase rate at a property in Key West. We chose a Hilton Garden Inn (I think it was) for about $100 more than the first Home2. I know it's not ideal in Old Town but I didn't want to spend $500+ for the properties down there. We won't be in KW long enough for all that. I'm really pleased with this rearrangement of plans. I think we did the right thing.

Thanks again, friends, for the advice and kind responses.

Now, best recommendation for a good, Key West dinner??? Looking for a good balance of food + ambiance but not loud & crazy. Laid back is more our speed. Also, I e always been intrigued by the Better Than S*x dessert place. Any experiences there?

Thanks so much for the input and advice. I really appreciate it. So just wanted to update: talked to hubby again this morning. Read him all your responses. I called Hilton and was referred to the Advanced Purchase Dept. The nice person there gave us the option to pay a $25 cancellation fee on the existing "non-refundable" room and rebook an advance purchase rate at a property in Key West. We chose a Hilton Garden Inn (I think it was) for about $100 more than the first Home2. I know it's not ideal in Old Town but I didn't want to spend $500+ for the properties down there. We won't be in KW long enough for all that. I'm really pleased with this rearrangement of plans. I think we did the right thing.

Thanks again, friends, for the advice and kind responses.

Now, best recommendation for a good, Key West dinner??? Looking for a good balance of food + ambiance but not loud & crazy. Laid back is more our speed. Also, I e always been intrigued by the Better Than S*x dessert place. Any experiences there?

Glad you are breaking it up!

Blue Heaven! It's an Only-in-Key-West experience and the food is amazing. You sit outside under the Banyon Trees and lights and listen to the band and eat incredible food amongst the chickens, roosters, and cats.

http://www.BlueHeavenKW.com

My parents also like El Sibony.

Lived in Miami 27 years and even in younger days would not have done this trip. Think your suggestions are excellent. Been years since we left area but still own time share in Key Largo and used to drive to Islamorada to eat, doubt the restaurant is still there. Ocean Reef area is nice too. Hope they are nice accomodations in Florida City as I taught there for years and it was not so great an area...not my type neighborhood. If just spending a night might be ok or maybe it has changed.

Wow, hundreds of times.

This is what I did.

Only from Key West to Fort Lauderdale and back.

Plus from Florida City to Key West is about an hour shorter.

Get up and leave just before sunrise.

You can push the 35, 45 MPH speed limit areas a little. (5MPH max.)

You will arrive at your destination with around six hours of sight seeing time.

Unless you want to drive home in the dark.

Key West is not a big city.

Around one square mile of things worth seeing, the rest is residential areas.

Close to 2/3 of the drive is on median divided highway now.

The rest is 35 or 45 MPH zones.

An alternate in the upper Keys is Card Sound road in the unlikely event of

an accident.

(due to the median barrier for the first twenty miles)

Just to give you some additional info)

Wow, hundreds of times.

)

Yes, hundreds of times. Literally.

My parents have had a house in Old Town since the late 70s.

My sister went to UM and I'd often make the drive to see her between the two all the time.

She still lives in Miami and we road trip to Key West to see our parents all the time.

We have a similar plan

Arrive Mia, Tuesday afternoon, then will drive to key largo for 2 nights, then move onto key west for 2 night.

Finally driving back to Fort lauderdale on the Saturday to stay over night before boarding on the Sunday.

I assume the drive back from Key west in one go is easily doable?

what time should i allow for this?

What traffic should i expect on a Saturday?

Also driving from MIA to Key Largo on a Tuesday afternoon, what traffic should i expect?, is it best to use the toll road as far as possible?