Quality of Drinks-Recent Cruisers

crazee4cruzin

Have any recent cruisers found that the quality of beverages were lacking? I have been reading that beverage service and drinks are not as good as it used to be ie. watered down. I always upgrade to the premium drink package but I would like to hear from those who recently sailed.

Have the bars been extra crowded as well? Is it more difficult to get a drink?

Thank you.

We were on Reflection for the Super Bowl cruise. We had a premium drink package.

The martinis were excellent, sometimes quite strong. The drinks in all the bars we visited (which was every one :)) were good too. No watering down in any drinks I or my travel companions had.

We even asked for the bartenders to make something special, off the menu...surprise us, and they did and the drinks were excellent.

Did not like the World Class Bar on the Reflection, the bartenders were inattentive to rude often and they could not make some of the drinks and, the drinks were overpriced in my opinion.

No issues at all on Silhouette in December or February. They poured with a liberal hand and kept them coming.

Get to know a couple of the servers, at least one wherever you like to hang out. They will take care of you. Take care of them at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We've sailed with a Classic package on Summit, Silhouette & Constellation in the last 5 months and I didn't notice that any drinks were watered down. The only time we had a wait for a drink was at the pool bar during Sailaway, or at other peak times like that.

We eat in Blu and the wine servers (they have had more than just Sommeliers serving) are kept very, very busy, but if they happened by and offered wine, even if my glass was still half full, I'd happily have them top it up. So really, I don't think we suffered for strength or availability of drinks!

We were on the Silhouette in February -- without a drink package. We found the martinis in the Martini Bar to be excellent (and STRONG), although my wife wasn't crazy about her Manhattan. It wasn't really a quality issue, but more of a personal taste thing, as she likes to make her own at home. The only drinks we didn't enjoy were pina coladas from the pool bar, but then, the last time we had them we were in Belize where they were made with fresh coconut and local rum!

Have any recent cruisers found that the quality of beverages were lacking? I have been reading that beverage service and drinks are not as good as it used to be ie. watered down. I always upgrade to the premium drink package but I would like to hear from those who recently sailed.

Have the bars been extra crowded as well? Is it more difficult to get a drink?

Thank you.

c4c,

Thanks for the post, can you direct me to the posts where you were reading that beverage quality was lacking? I cannot find anything on this.

That has never been a challenge on any X ship as far as I remember, so it would be interesting to read the context of the comments.

Thank you and bon voyage...

Edited by Bo1953

I like B&B as an after dinner drink in a snifter. Is 2-3oz. of brandy and the same of Benedictine enough? Maybe too much. Always 3 fingers or a bit more.

Is correct at times there is a wait but with so many drink packages that is to be expected. As I said before - $10 on day one always got a drink served quickly with a wave and a nod.

When I got on the Connie in February, the first bar I hit was the sunset aft. I liked the way the bartender operated so I upgraded my package with him since he got credit. Then two days in I palmed him a $5. A couple of days later I palmed him another $5 for additional reasons.

I got fantastic service from day one and my Walker Black on the rocks were always doubles without asking. As I approached the bar he was reaching for my bottle.

IMO It's a combination of your attitude, personality and of course gratuities.

We have just got off the Celebrity Solstice and upgraded to premium on the first day. The service by the bar staff was very poor and they were not very friendly compared to the rest of the staff. We upgraded as we like premium spirits but after day 5 they had run out of my favourite scotch and told me that they had trouble in customs getting it mmm they did not seem to have trouble with the cheaper scotches. Some of the bars did not measure the drinks just poured it in some used a nip pourer I know this as I drink scotch on the rocks. Not that I am complaining but even the wine in your glass were a little low and as they really needed more bar staff they should fill your glass up so you don't have to go back so often and wait for 5 mins to get a top up. I think once they have your money they don't really care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Coming off the Connie a few weeks ago (without the drinks package), and there was some difference in the...ahem...generosity of the bartenders. The martini bar guys (in addition to being phenomenal at improvisation with ingredients) had the ship rocking even more than normal after two drinks. I had more mixed results with the Sunset Bar and the Rendez-Vous. I had one tequila sunrise that was incredibly light on the sunrise, but that was the exception.

I think it's an issue of inconsistency. I was on the same Super Bowl cruise on Reflection as pete_coach and agree about the World Class Bar. But, I also noted how inconsistent each bartender is at various venues.

A good example was the Martini Bar: ordered the same drink from each of the bartenders and every one of them presented me something that was different from the others. In some cases, it still had the same mixture of ingredients but different pour amounts, which affected the taste (not good or bad, necessarily--just different each time). In other cases, I watched them put in completely different ingredients. What's the good of having a limited menu if the bartenders don't know the recipe and follow it? As a Bar Rescue fan, I also cringe when I see how much alcohol those guys spill (waste of $) all over the floor on any given night. That's ultimately going to affect what headquarters charges passengers for the drink packages! Making a super-strong drink does not make a quality drink because it often overpowers the other ingredients. And, it's completely unnecessary if you can order as many drinks as you want on a package. They really need closer supervision and retraining as necessary.

At the other bars, it's much the same. Classic cocktails with tried and true recipes coming out wacky. My traveling companion likes champagne cocktails and not one of the several dozen he ordered was the same, and on several nights in Luminae they were being made by the same person. He always offers a reminder on the recipe if the bartender looks perplexed but he too found little consistency. We had similar experiences with other drinks at all of the other bars (and we went to each bar on the ship at least once). Something as simple as a Mai-Tai was a different experience each time. Again, not that the drinks are necessarily bad (though some are), but if I order a margarita on the rocks, shouldn't it more or less taste the same no matter who made it?

I think Celebrity must just say "you're a bartender? go to this bar" during the hiring & training process and leaves it at that. They would be much better served by having a recipe guide unique to the Celebrity brand, and then having a roving staff of trainers who go bar-to-bar-to-bar to monitor/train the bartenders. Or, they should pare down their menu and only offer a set drink list that is done exceedingly well at any bar.

I think it's an issue of inconsistency. I was on the same Super Bowl cruise on Reflection as pete_coach and agree about the World Class Bar. But, I also noted how inconsistent each bartender is at various venues.

You are so right. What size and shape of glass, what size and shape of ice, the amount of ice in each different shaped glass all contribute to how a drink turns out. Is the bartender giving a 1 and 1/2 ounce pour or a 2 ounce pour, or more? Dumping a 2 ounce pour into a glass packed with small ice cubes produces a very strong drink and speeds up the need for another.

In a Champagne cocktail how much is a dash of bitters and how many were used 2 or 3? Was it made with a little cognac or just champagne, sugar and bitters? A twist of lemon? A cherry?

Go to five different bars and get order a mojito at each. I have found you will rarely get the same thing twice.

My martini is too strong??? If it is one of the newer type of "martinis" like a banana frappe martini it is no different from any other "mixed" drink but a conventional Gin or Vodka martini (depending how long it was in contact with the ice) should basically be just slightly below the proof of the base spirit.

Order a drink, watch it being made, get to know the bartender and let him or her know your preferences. A tip and a friendly Hi will almost always produce a great repeat drink.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

They actually *do* have a recipe guide but it's long and in small print and I have never seen anyone use it except the bartender in Michael's Club. I wanted a drink that I make at home so I told him my recipe. He said he'd make it. Then he pulled out this laminated two-page (or so) guide and looked at it and showed me what the name was that I asked for. Hmm, different than what I called it but whatever. He made it and it was great. He said he didn't always keep the ingredient in that bar but he'd do it for me (and he did --- Frangelico).

I always think the drinks wherever I get them on the ship are good, and strong. Almost too strong. Martini Bar particularly. I agree, the bartenders there do different things. I asked for a special recipe once there and the bartender frowned and said it wasn't a good drink. I told him I made it all the time and liked it, but we laughed and he said he'd make me something better. He used about half the ingredients I used, and then added different ones. "My" drink from him was so much better. Called it a Creme Brûlée martini. Mmm. Got the new ingredients and that's how I make it now. The next night he wasn't on the bar when we went so I asked for it from another bartender and the drink came back good, but different. I get the impression they'll make pretty much anything you want. Off menu or not. Just have the attitude (as was suggested above) and the sense of humor and personality and make a few bartender "friends" and you're golden.

Oh, and a $10 tip every so often doesn't hurt, either.

We have just got off the Celebrity Solstice and upgraded to premium on the first day. The service by the bar staff was very poor and they were not very friendly compared to the rest of the staff. We upgraded as we like premium spirits but after day 5 they had run out of my favourite scotch and told me that they had trouble in customs getting it mmm they did not seem to have trouble with the cheaper scotches. Some of the bars did not measure the drinks just poured it in some used a nip pourer I know this as I drink scotch on the rocks. Not that I am complaining but even the wine in your glass were a little low and as they really needed more bar staff they should fill your glass up so you don't have to go back so often and wait for 5 mins to get a top up. I think once they have your money they don't really care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Totally different from our experience on Solstice- we found the staff both friendly and very efficient! No issues with drink sizes or measures. Even better we found fellow guests polite and good at taking turns, often saying things like 'I think you were before me..' The only slight issue we had with drinks was re wines where at several venues we would choose a wine only to find out it was no longer available but they always had quite good alternatives!

We were on the Silhouette in February -- without a drink package. We found the martinis in the Martini Bar to be excellent (and STRONG), although my wife wasn't crazy about her Manhattan. It wasn't really a quality issue, but more of a personal taste thing, as she likes to make her own at home. The only drinks we didn't enjoy were pina coladas from the pool bar, but then, the last time we had them we were in Belize where they were made with fresh coconut and local rum!

I found ONE bartender who could make a good Manhattan, he didn't come on duty until six so I just bided my time. The ones that the other guys made were not even worth drinking!

We were on Reflection for the Super Bowl cruise. We had a premium drink package.

The martinis were excellent, sometimes quite strong. The drinks in all the bars we visited (which was every one :)) were good too. No watering down in any drinks I or my travel companions had.

We even asked for the bartenders to make something special, off the menu...surprise us, and they did and the drinks were excellent.

Did not like the World Class Bar on the Reflection, the bartenders were inattentive to rude often and they could not make some of the drinks and, the drinks were overpriced in my opinion.

Have to agree about rude bartenders on the Reflection, although our experience was 2 years ago when it was still the molelular bar. Probably different bartender. It was one of the rudest bartender I ever encountered on any cruise. To the point that I wanted to complain about him but it is against my nature. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I think it's an issue of inconsistency.[...] But, I also noted how inconsistent each bartender is at various venues.

Agreed. We were on the Reflection last October and the quality, flavor, and strength of any one drink varied wildly from one bar to another, from one bartender to another. Really, that was my only (admittedly very minor) complaint about the whole cruise.

In the interest of providing a uniform product to keep customers happy and knowing what to expect, Celebrity should definitely spend some time on training their bar staff.