Tis' Himself, communicating from the Nieuw Amsterdam

Himself

Good Morning you readers of the Cruise Critic.

I ran into a gentleman this morning and asked if I was a passenger. I said I am the priest chaplain for this cruise. He asked if I did any writing. "Write," I asked? He said yes, on line. "Do you mean on the Cruise Critic?" Yes, he said. I admitted I have been known to write under the pen name of Himself. He said his wife reads it all the time.

I was not expecting this, but I have been discovered and I am not Mr. Nieuw Amsterdam--a game they played on the HAL ships in a day gone by.

The ship planed it and so I did it. I think it is nice that ships offer it to the people on embarkation day. Not too many attend but then the Lord said "Feed my Sheep" and not "Count My Sheep."

Does every HAL ship offer a Catholic mass on an embarkation Sunday? It sure would be nice to know and count on this if so - no need to hunt around for a church near the pier on Sunday morning.

Does every HAL ship offer a Catholic mass on an embarkation Sunday? It sure would be nice to know and count on this if so - no need to hunt around for a church near the pier on Sunday morning.

Read post #26 in this thread.

Thanks, I did see that after I posted. However, I am certain I have been on some HAL ships that did not have an afternoon Mass on an embarkation Sunday.

Had the priest made it to the ship? On time? Rarely it happens that the priest isn't there for Mass following embarkation, but it does happen.

Had the priest made it to the ship? On time? Rarely it happens that the priest isn't there for Mass following embarkation, but it does happen.

Yes, I saw him at boarding and asked about the Mass - he said no Mass for the passengers, but he was holding one for the crew that we could attend (we did and very few people there). Nothing was posted in the daily newsletter.

As far as I know there is always a Mass on Embarkation Day--even ships that leave during the week. The Saturday Mass is Always in the EVENING at 5PM, I have gotten a few questions about this on this cruise. It will be at 5PM as soon as we sail from Key West.

Hi Himself,

Just wanted to say that although this is the first time I have responded to your writings I always find them informative and containing a great deal of humor. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to post.

Helen

Nothing was posted in the daily newsletter.

Strange. Very, very strange. I've been on dozens of embarkation days, and never seen that happen.

Based on that track record, you should be ok next time.

Yes, I saw him at boarding and asked about the Mass - he said no Mass for the passengers, but he was holding one for the crew that we could attend (we did and very few people there). Nothing was posted in the daily newsletter.

The crew Mass is never listed in the daily program. However, it happens at 11:15 PM at night and frequently in the Hudson Room.

Hi Himself,

Just wanted to say that although this is the first time I have responded to your writings I always find them informative and containing a great deal of humor. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to post.

Helen

Thank you for the nice comments. I have an incident that I will post after I leave the ship which, will be tomorrow. I am in Key West right now.

The crew Mass is never listed in the daily program. However, it happens at 11:15 PM at night and frequently in the Hudson Room.

I guess my post was a bit confusing. I did not expect to see the crew Mass posted. What I meant was I did not see any Mass posted in the daily program (for the passengers of course).

I guess my post was a bit confusing. I did not expect to see the crew Mass posted. What I meant was I did not see any Mass posted in the daily program (for the passengers of course).

Now That is really unusual!

I am now at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I want to publicly than k the crew , staff and passengers on the N.A for their many kindnesses to me. They even laughed at my jokes. I will try and do a rap up when I get home.

Good Morning you readers of the Cruise Critic.

I ran into a gentleman this morning and asked if I was a passenger. I said I am the priest chaplain for this cruise. He asked if I did any writing. "Write," I asked? He said yes, on line. "Do you mean on the Cruise Critic?" Yes, he said. I admitted I have been known to write under the pen name of Himself. He said his wife reads it all the time.

I was not expecting this, but I have been discovered and I am not Mr. Nieuw Amsterdam--a game they played on the HAL ships in a day gone by.

Hello Father...that gentleman was my husband! I had told him about you, that you write on Cruise Critic, and that you would also be on the April 3rd cruise. I am sorry I didn't get the pleasure of meeting you. I hope you enjoyed your week as much as we did. :)

Hello Father...that gentleman was my husband! I had told him about you, that you write on Cruise Critic, and that you would also be on the April 3rd cruise. I am sorry I didn't get the pleasure of meeting you. I hope you enjoyed your week as much as we did. :)

I saw him up on the Panorama deck. Sorry we never met. I did enjoy the cruise.

I will begin with the story. I am a Fourth Degree Knight of Columbus and the "Faithful Friar" (Chaplain) of the Joliet Assembly of the K of C's. One of the members was on the cruise and told me of an incident on the Last Sea day. He was in one of the tubs and some girls were in another tub. These were very young children. One girl of about 7 asked the other girl how old she was. The child said five. The older girl of about seven asked" "Have you been Baptized and the younger one said no. The older girl then baptized her in the hot tub using the correct formula. It then happened with the second girl. They laughed. Since a minor needs parental consent, I doubt it was valid but it sounded kind of cure so I thought I would share it with you.

When I first started doing these things, on the first formal night you would line up to meet the Captain and a picture would be taken. He would then introduce his staff in the show lounge. That was replaced by him just coming out introducing a few and then the toast. When I was on the Zuiderdam last fall you could have your picture taken with the Captain but that was it. Nothing in the Showroom at Sea. We used to have the dessert extravaganza but that is now past. It is amazing how things have changed over the years. However, I am not complaining. The cruise on the NA was a wonderful cruise with a lot of nice people. I really enjoyed it.

That is the end of the report--I think