Tis' Himself, communicating from the Nieuw Amsterdam

Himself

I'll be boarding on Sunday and am wondering if there will be Mass or should I find a church in FLL before I board?

Barring unforeseen circumstances, such as the priest doesn't make the sailing, Mass is held every day (with rare exception) on board ship. This includes embarkation day.

In general, Mass is held in the morning on sea days, and late afternoon on port days.

A couple of (rare) exceptions when Mass is not held are very early port days, when tours head out at 6:00 or 7:00 AM, and aren't back for 12 hours (or so).

Mass is held in the morning on port days when port arrival is later, such as 10:00 or 11:00 AM.

At 12:50 the Captain came on with his report. At noon we were a few miles from Guantanamo Bay in South East Cuba. This does remind me of a story I would love to share. President Reagan once told the story. It seems that Fidel Castro was giving a long speech in a stadium. There was a vender there hollering "Popcorn, Peanuts and Crackerjack ." He was so loud that Fidel Castro got angry and threatened to exile the vender to the United Sates. Suddenly every one in the Stadium hollered "Popcorn, Peanuts and Crackerjack."

It is nice and sunny and warm today.

I hope you enjoyed the humor.

Himself

Love it!!

At 12:50 the Captain came on with his report. At noon we were a few miles from Guantanamo Bay in South East Cuba. This does remind me of a story I would love to share. President Reagan once told the story. It seems that Fidel Castro was giving a long speech in a stadium. There was a vender there hollering "Popcorn, Peanuts and Crackerjack ." He was so loud that Fidel Castro got angry and threatened to exile the vender to the United Sates. Suddenly every one in the Stadium hollered "Popcorn, Peanuts and Crackerjack."

It is nice and sunny and warm today.

I hope you enjoyed the humor.

Himself

Love it. Another one from my last cruise on the Crystal Symphony:

<SNIP>

Today’s parting shot is a story told by Anthony Terry’s talk on Tuesday. I’m not sure if it actually happened but I like it anyway. He was talking about Fidel Castro interviewing children at a school. He asked them 3 questions, who is your mother, who is your father, and what do you want to be when you grow up. Usual answers were “My father is Fidel Castro, my mother is the Soviet Union, and I want to be a Doctor/teacher, etc. One young lad piped up “My father is Fidel Castro, my mother is the Soviet Union, and I want to be an orphan”. From the mouths of babes...

Roy

Roy

Father, I stumbled on this forum by accident and am hoping for some information. I'll be boarding on Sunday and am wondering if there will be Mass or should I find a church in FLL before I board? Thanks so much.

There is a Mass scheduled and a priest scheduled for next week. The Mass will be a 5:PM and I think it will be in the Queens Lounge. St. Sebastian by the Sea is close to the Hyatt at Pier 66 and up near the Riverside there is St. Anthony in Ft. Lauderdale.

I hope this helps. By the way, you will be blessed to be on the Nieuw Amsterdam's maiden voyage through the Panama Canal.

It is now evening on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the temperature has dropped from the high 80's to the low 70's. It is also a bit windy. Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard Time and so we must turn our clocks back one hour before retiring tonight. Rather than playing "it" with stingrays I will so a highlights tour with a stop at the Turtle Farm. Have never been there. I think we also stop at Hell. (Grand Cayman.)

I will let you know how things turn out.

By the way, the Koningsdam has the Lido Market. Guest what, on the Nieuw Amsterdam the Lido Restaurant is now called the Lido Market.

Himself reporting from the Nieuw Amsterdam.

It is now evening on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the temperature has dropped from the high 80's to the low 70's. It is also a bit windy. Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard Time and so we must turn our clocks back one hour before retiring tonight. Rather than playing "it" with stingrays I will so a highlights tour with a stop at the Turtle Farm. Have never been there. I think we also stop at Hell. (Grand Cayman.)

I will let you know how things turn out.

By the way, the Koningsdam has the Lido Market. Guest what, on the Nieuw Amsterdam the Lido Restaurant is now called the Lido Market.

Himself reporting from the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks for the report Father.

There is a Mass scheduled and a priest scheduled for next week. The Mass will be a 5:PM and I think it will be in the Queens Lounge. St. Sebastian by the Sea is close to the Hyatt at Pier 66 and up near the Riverside there is St. Anthony in Ft. Lauderdale.

I hope this helps. By the way, you will be blessed to be on the Nieuw Amsterdam's maiden voyage through the Panama Canal.

Thanks so much for that information. Yes, it will be the cruise of a lifetime for sure! I'm going all the way to Vancouver.

I was reading on the "Pearls of the pacific' cruise and I believe it was Kazu who mentioned that it (Lido Market) is now on the Westerdam.

Have a great cruise Father and don't get lost in "Hell" we did that tour on our very firest cruise and also saw the turtles, it was very interesting.

Helen

:)

The ship planed it and so I did it. I think it is nice that ships offer it to the people on embarkation day. Not too many attend but then the Lord said "Feed my Sheep" and not "Count My Sheep."

We would have attended the service as well as the mass. You do a great job.

As always, love reading your posts Himself. Take good care of the NA we are sailing her next March with friends and high school classmates, going to be a great cruise.....

It is always nice when you post Doone!

We were told there would be four ships in Port today. There was the Carnival Destiny, the Celebrity Silhouette and our selves. I thought I saw another Carnival Ship approaching but they must have cancelled. The water was a bit choppy in the tender boats today and while I was in line to get my sticker for the tour of the Turtle Farm, it was announced that all diving tours and tours to Sting Ray City were cancelled because of rough water which started up after we anchored. I found the trip to the Turtle Farm to be interesting and then of course we had to go to Hell. So I have been to Hell and back. I am back on board and I am not going back into town. It is 2PM and we sail at 3:30 and so think I will catch some shut eye.

Tis Himself

Himself,

You are on one of my favorite DAM ships! Glad you are enjoying your cruise so far. Wish I was on a DAM ship!:D

Thank you for the live update!

David

David:

NA is one of my favorites also.

Greetings from Cozumel. We were to dock at 11;00 AM. The lines started to be cast at 10:18 AM and by 10:35 AM all lines were secured and at 10:40 AM we were free to go ashore, if one wished. It is now 1PM and I have not been out yet. Perhaps I will just stay on the ship today. It is very warm today and too much sun for a person who is prone o 'skin Cancer. I will report more later.

Tis' Himself reporting from the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Having done all the ruins years ago, now we just walk around the shops in the terminal or just stay on the ship in Cozumel.

I did even worse. I stayed in my room and took a nap I did not need! Rather warm out. Maybe after Dinner I will walk to the shops in the terminal. I am looking forward to Key West.

I never even got off the ship today. That will not happen on Saturday, that's for sure. I was supposed to meet some friends from Marathon Key on Saturday but something came up and so we will not connect this year. Their youngest granddaughter is making her First Communion this weekend and so they cannot bi-locate. I will report sometime tomorrow while we are at Sea.