No Overnight Parking In Kahului, Maui for POA

Lovex4

I emailed NCL's Manager of Port Operations, Grant Karamatsu, about the parking situation in Maui for the POA and this is his response:

Norwegian has never provided parking in any of the ports and Kahului was the only DOT harbor doing so. They've stopped providing parking after the ship returned from dry dock and unfortunately, we're unaware of anyone providing paid parking in Mauai ( there are a couple options in Kauai ). I believe the ship is providing a warning about the lack of parking to guests on board.

Grant Karamatsu, Manager of Port Operations for NCL

This is a real bummer, but nothing NCL has any control over. So, it sounds like the overnight parking at the airport is the best solution with taxi to and from, if you have very early morning plans for the second day. It might even be preferable to waiting for a shuttle and going through the whole rental process a second time, despite the added cost of parking and taxis.

I emailed NCL's Manager of Port Operations, Grant Karamatsu, about the parking situation in Maui for the POA and this is his response:

Norwegian has never provided parking in any of the ports and Kahului was the only DOT harbor doing so. They've stopped providing parking after the ship returned from dry dock and unfortunately, we're unaware of anyone providing paid parking in Mauai ( there are a couple options in Kauai ). I believe the ship is providing a warning about the lack of parking to guests on board.

This is a real bummer, but nothing NCL has any control over. So, it sounds like the overnight parking at the airport is the best solution with taxi to and from, if you have very early morning plans for the second day. It might even be preferable to waiting for a shuttle and going through the whole rental process a second time, despite the added cost of parking and taxis.

Thanks for taking the time to do contact.

We are on the POA starting Apr 16. We have reserved a car for two days in Maui. I spoke to a very nice agent at Budget yesterday and she advised us to park at the airport over night and use the shuttle to get back and forth to the ship. Parking is $15 at the airport and close enough to the rental office to walk. We will check with the desk on Sunday about timing of the last shuttle over to the ship that night and she told me the first one in the morning is 7:30 am. So it may take a little longer to get to and from the car but it's a secure area so sounds like a good plan for us.

We are on the POA starting Apr 16. We have reserved a car for two days in Maui. I spoke to a very nice agent at Budget yesterday and she advised us to park at the airport over night and use the shuttle to get back and forth to the ship. Parking is $15 at the airport and close enough to the rental office to walk. We will check with the desk on Sunday about timing of the last shuttle over to the ship that night and she told me the first one in the morning is 7:30 am. So it may take a little longer to get to and from the car but it's a secure area so sounds like a good plan for us.

Not sure a about the walking distance, the airport seemed pretty far to me, but I guess depending on the location of the lot, you might walk.

At the end of the day, for those who may have walking issues, you can catch the airport shuttle from the parking lot to the office and there you may have to transfer to the ship shuttle, if still running. There was one shuttle exclusively from the office to and from the ship. The others ran from office to and from the airport. And of course you can always drop off some of your party at the ship and then take your car to the parking spot.

It would be nice if those who will use overnight parking at the airport would come back and let us know how it went, where you met the taxi at the airport for the return trip, what taxi used, etc.

Edited by punkincc

Not sure a about the walking distance, the airport seemed pretty far to me, but I guess depending on the location of the lot, you might walk.

Sorry I should have been more specific.... I meant the distance from the airport parking area to the rental car office is a quick walk. We would then take the shuttle to and from the ship :)

We just got off the POA yesterday. We rented a car for two days while in Maui. We parked our car in the parking lot at the Maui Mall with several other cruise ship passengers. If you cross the street at the light then follow the construction fences, there's a pedestrian walk way that leads back to the ship. The parking lot seemed safe but I would only do the walkway during the day as it does go through the industrial port.

We just got off the POA yesterday. We rented a car for two days while in Maui. We parked our car in the parking lot at the Maui Mall with several other cruise ship passengers. If you cross the street at the light then follow the construction fences, there's a pedestrian walk way that leads back to the ship. The parking lot seemed safe but I would only do the walkway during the day as it does go through the industrial port.

Hopefully the waterfalls were flowing for you?

I believe I saw, maybe in the other thread about this, where someone said that they sometimes tow rental cars from the Mall lots. Was there any designated area? Glad you had no problems. If you want to return to the ship late, it might not be a good option.

Hope you post a review of the ship! We were on the post dry dock sail. I wonder if they had the spa open on your sailing and if you took a look.

Edited by punkincc

We also got off this past Saturday and like you we parked in the Maui Mall lot. It was not approved and there were a few signs stating private property. Having said that it was quite a sight seeing a long line of rental cars leaving the lot Tuesday morning. No one that we talked to got towed. We parked at the end near Long Drugs (it is 24 hours) on the very outside near the road.

puckincc - the spa was open but we did not go in to take a look.

We also got off this past Saturday and like you we parked in the Maui Mall lot. It was not approved and there were a few signs stating private property. Having said that it was quite a sight seeing a long line of rental cars leaving the lot Tuesday morning. No one that we talked to got towed. We parked at the end near Long Drugs (it is 24 hours) on the very outside near the road.

puckincc - the spa was open but we did not go in to take a look.

Ah, too bad you did not see the finished product! Reportedly they blew out all the spa walls but one.

This is what was posted about mall parking by chengkp75 on the other thread here on this topic, "Maui Pier Parking Update": "Since the NCL ships started docking at Kahului in 2004, the mall has been pretty stringent about ticketing and towing any overnight parking in their lot." However convenient, I just don't think it would be worth the risk of a ruined day in Hawaii spent dealing with a towed rental car, at least for me.

That said, I suppose the mall lot is technically private property, but I've never seen malls here on the mainland that tow cars, as far as I know, and people park there for many reasons, commuters, etc. Heck, Walmart even encourages RVs to camp there overnight, even publishing a directory for them so that they can plan their next stop. Smart, because those "campers" probably spend money in the store every time. Probably the same might be true for those who park at the mall in Maui where they can perhaps pick up snacks, pop and water. And after all, they are gone during the day when the majority of customers are there, and it is only 1 night per week.

Seems short sighted on their part to me.

I believe I saw, maybe in the other thread about this, where someone said that they sometimes tow rental cars from the Mall lots. Was there any designated area? Glad you had no problems. If you want to return to the ship late, it might not be a good option.

Hope you post a review of the ship! We were on the post dry dock sail. I wonder if they had the spa open on your sailing and if you took a look.

I didn't notice any signs but am very glad we didn't get towed! We parked on the other end of the drug store, past Whole Foods. We parked in the last aisle in one of the farthest spaces. We walked back with a group of other cruisers who had parked far out as well.

I had heard the spa wasn't open so I didn't bother to go up there. I happened to stumble upon it when lost and discovered it was open but didn't go in to look.

Edited to add that I just started a review on the board for NCL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2341463

Edited by sjmbruce

I also got back from the 2nd April cruise, rented a car for 2 days in Maui, had the Alamo agent pointing us to the "designated" parking lot, only to find out it is closed :( We then went to the harbor entrance to inquire. The security guy told us that the lot was "discontinued" 3 weeks ago, and maybe the Alamo agent/NCL were not "updated". Indeed, there was nothing in the dailies about parking. I asked the agent to help us a bit, and he said, with a smile "I can't tell u to park at the Mall, can I"? I thanked him, saying "I didn't hear u". It was 2PM, we parked near the 24 hours, had to walk at least 20 min back to the ship in the blazing sun, ate and rested a bit, and at 4Pm were back at the Mall to drive to the luau at Lahaina. Back at 9.30PM, we parked again near the 24h, and the 2nd day were more than happy to find our car in the same place. We also looked for any signs of private property, or some "keeper" -- found none.

YMMV :)

We also got off this past Saturday and like you we parked in the Maui Mall lot. We parked at the end near Long Drugs (it is 24 hours) on the very outside near the road.

The only Long Drugs I can see in Lahaina is at Lahaina Cannery Mall. Is this the mall you're talking about and where does the ship tender too?

The only Long Drugs I can see in Lahaina is at Lahaina Cannery Mall. Is this the mall you're talking about and where does the ship tender too?

The Long's Drug Store mentioned is in the Maui Mall in Kahului (not Lahaina) - close to where the Pride of America docks in Kahului Harbor.

In case you want to google a reference point for where ships tender into Lahaina, you will be by the Pioneer Inn and the historic Banyan Tree.

The Long's Drug Store mentioned is in the Maui Mall in Kahului (not Lahaina) - close to where the Pride of America docks in Kahului Harbor.

In case you want to google a reference point for where ships tender into Lahaina, you will be by the Pioneer Inn and the historic Banyan Tree.

oops, wrong side of the island! thanks for clarifying that and finding me the tender dock!

We are on the POA this week just left Maui yesterday. As suggested here we parked near Long Drug and did the 10 minute (I'm slow due to a bad knee) walk back to the ship and out to our car again in the am. The walkway was secure with security guards posted at each end. There were plenty of passengers doing the same. It worked out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cinbol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...