Travelers Checks in Asia

Alicomp

We will be in China and Southeast Asia. We have American Express travelers' ' checks from many years ago. We were saving them for an emergency, but now think we might as well use them. Will banks or hotels in China and other parts of Asia cash them? Thank you. Alice

We will be in China and Southeast Asia. We have American Express travelers' ' checks from many years ago. We were saving them for an emergency, but now think we might as well use them. Will banks or hotels in China and other parts of Asia cash them? Thank you. Alice

Apparently they can be used in Asia, although I haven't used them for the past 25 years.

http://goasia.about.com/od/Planning/a/How-to-Carry-Money-in-Asia.htm

If they are dated and "old" you may have trouble getting anyone to accept them. I would take them back to the bank of issue and see if you can get your money back and take a card instead - ATMs everywhere these days

Very bad idea even if not dated and old. Exchange them at home before you go. These dinosaurs went out of fashion quite some time ago.

I agree, you might really struggle getting some one to take them.

I agree that you will have more than a hard time cashing them in US or in China. Might try a US American Express office though that is hard to find these days too. At the bank or office -- pick the oldest employee in the place -- none of the others even know what a traveler's check is. I would certainly call the bank first and ask if they will accept the checks -- most do not now.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Sorry to disagree with those above...however...on both our recent trips (2014 & 2015) to China we were able to easily cash our US Traveler's Checks (as needed) at the Bank of China ...Just had to present our passport...Their banks are very organized and were easy to deal with. We could have also cashed them at our hotel/hotels but the exchange rate was better at the bank, and the hotel would have added on a fee I believe. TC's aren't as outdated as some on these boards may think.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to disagree with those above...however...on both our recent trips (2014 & 2015) to China we were able to easily cash our US Traveler's Checks (as needed) at the Bank of China ...Just had to present our passport...Their banks are very organized and were easy to deal with. We could have also cashed them at our hotel/hotels but the exchange rate was better at the bank, and the hotel would have added on a fee I believe. TC's aren't as outdated as some on these boards may think.

Ashland, Were your tc's American Express by any chance? Ours are and I have heard that they are the hardest to cash outside the US, unless at an Am Ex office.

Alice

Ashland, Were your tc's American Express by any chance? Ours are and I have heard that they are the hardest to cash outside the US, unless at an Am Ex office.

Alice

Yes...they were...and had no problem cashing them at the Bank of China (as recently as March 2015)...you need to use your passport as your ID to cash them. We could have even cashed them at our Grand Central Hotel in Shanghai as well...but we always get a better rate walking around the corner to the bank....We've done this on our two trips to Shanghai. We've also cashed them when location (of the bank) and time was a factor at our hotels in Beijing & Xi'an.

Edited by Ashland