2 Liberty Passengers Dead in Moped Accident

Je Souhaite

How incredibly sad :( Prayers to the families!!

This really shakes me a bit because my brother in law and sister in law were in Cozumel two years ago (not on a cruise but an all inclusive) and they were in a moped accident. Their injuries werent life threatening but they had to return to the US in horrific pain to complete their treatment.

We spoke to a couple on our last cruise that said they rent mopeds all the time and love to see the ports that way. I said no way!! Not for me!

They're wearing no protective gear whatsoever. I know some riders think I'm a big wuss because I NEVER ride without helmet, armored jacket and pants, gloves and boots. But I've been down on the asphalt and have the scars. Mopeds may look like little toys. But they are NOT surrounded by a protective pavement softening field. Concrete is HARD. Cars are HARD. Combine that with some who's likely inexperienced on two wheels on a moped, two of you on a tiny machine that's not really capable of holding one and that you don't know has been properly maintained and you're playing russian roulette. As much fun as this would be what they did was insane.

My sympathy goes out to their families. Horrible, horrible way to go.

It appears that the man has a poor quality helment on. Do not see one on the lady. It looks like they might have hit the concrete pole by their position and the scooters. Just awful. Scooters might be fun and cheap but by no means worth taking a chance on.

Sad to see this story.

Surprised the PD posted the video of people about to die. I give credit to the first responders for trying as much as they could to save the lady. Too bad they didn't have a second crew to help the gentleman as he writhed on the sidewalk.

I rented a moped once in Bermuda and it was rather unsettling hitting the first roundabout driving a strange bike in a "drive on the left side" environment. Had to think quick to avert disaster. One of my co-workers had a moped accident on that trip (involving him, some shrubbery, and a wall) and had to seek extended medical treatments back in the US.

Our family rides in taxi's when in foreign ports. No mopeds or rentals for us.

I was thinking the same thing about the EMS response. One article said the lady was killed instantly, but the medics worked on her, so I wonder if she was still alive on the scene and perhaps died on the way to the hospital. Too bad they didn't have enough personnel to help the man at the same time. And while I did watch the video, I have to wonder about posting it...especially set to music...I hope no family members or friends see it, but sadly, I suspect some will.

What an awful situation.

My nephew rented a moped last spring break on his cruise...he wore a helmet but not any other gear..this year they went to help needy in Peru, we are lucky cause he was 20....really question the wisdom of his group leader on that one.

SO very sorry for this couple..my nephew needs to hear about this and skip next time..there but for the Grace of God truly go we all...that was tasteless video so soon and with music but it does bring the facts and dangers home. Devastating that both could not be worked on at once. Prayers to family and friends..oh my..bad thing to see..so sad.

Appreciate the wisdom of some posts here with clear danger knowledge.

Again, oh dear family and friends of the lost..prayers...for you and your loved ones.

Edited by sjn911

I was on this cruise. We had no idea there was an issue. We had a small delay in deporting, but thought it was due to shopping stragglers. Hate reading this, the poor families. Prayers ascending for the days to come as their families sort through this.

I was thinking the same thing about the EMS response. One article said the lady was killed instantly, but the medics worked on her, so I wonder if she was still alive on the scene and perhaps died on the way to the hospital. Too bad they didn't have enough personnel to help the man at the same time. And while I did watch the video, I have to wonder about posting it...especially set to music...I hope no family members or friends see it, but sadly, I suspect some will.

What an awful situation.

That was an odd video. I'm thinking there was something not obvious to us causing them to concentrate on the female. The male had no obvious external injuries but must have had internal ones. Cause of this accident is indeed a mystery.

I did not and could not watch the video (so glad I didn't click on the link before finding out it was a video!) but a friend of mine was in a moped accident on a cruise with her 8 year old son on the back! She landed face down and had road rash on her face, arms and legs, while he (thank God!) landed on top of her! She spent the rest of the cruise in bed (she refused medical treatment on shore because she didn't want to have to spend time in a Mexican hospital) and was in horrific pain by the time they got home. I will NEVER ride a moped in a foreign country (or even a non-foreign country!)

My heart goes out to their families and I hope everyone thinks twice before doing this!!

This is so sad, but it is not unusual here in Cozumel. I live and work here and everyday I beg tourists NOT to rent motos. The majority of our Moto accidents involve tourists. Every week we send them home either injured or worse. Many of us here use motos because of economics. PLEASE if you want to drink, hire a Taxi. Please rent a car and not a Moto.

This is so sad, but it is not unusual here in Cozumel. I live and work here and everyday I beg tourists NOT to rent motos. The majority of our Moto accidents involve tourists. Every week we send them home either injured or worse. Many of us here use motos because of economics. PLEASE if you want to drink, hire a Taxi. Please rent a car and not a Moto.

I agree, but even better, hire a driver for the day. I don't get the fascination with renting cars while in port.

I watched the video, mainly because I am a former firefighter/EMT and I am screwed up like that. From the position she was in, I don't think there was a thing they could have done to help her.

A few years ago on a cruise one of our friends rented a moped in Nassau. He didn't tell any of us about it until after the fact. He knew we all thought he was stupid. Thankfully he made it back in one piece and without missing any skin.

Prayer for their family.

What a terrible tragedy. We rented scooters in Bermuda on our first ever cruise. (that was our first and last time on one) Looking back, we were incredibly lucky, as we hit a torrential downpour on our way back to the ship and could have easily hydroplaned. Now that we are older and wiser I still have to say "no way" to dh when we port at Nassau and walk past the scooters/mopeds right outside the cruise ship area. Prayers out to the family who lost their loved ones.

What a terrible tragedy. We rented scooters in Bermuda on our first ever cruise. (that was our first and last time on one) Looking back, we were incredibly lucky, as we hit a torrential downpour on our way back to the ship and could have easily hydroplaned. Now that we are older and wiser I still have to say "no way" to dh when we port at Nassau and walk past the scooters/mopeds right outside the cruise ship area. Prayers out to the family who lost their loved ones.

Our first cruise was to Bermuda and our first excursion, by bus/shuttle. People drive CRAZY there. :eek: I could not wait to get to our destination.

We took a ferry back.

They're wearing no protective gear whatsoever. I know some riders think I'm a big wuss because I NEVER ride without helmet, armored jacket and pants, gloves and boots. But I've been down on the asphalt and have the scars. Mopeds may look like little toys. But they are NOT surrounded by a protective pavement softening field. Concrete is HARD. Cars are HARD. Combine that with some who's likely inexperienced on two wheels on a moped, two of you on a tiny machine that's not really capable of holding one and that you don't know has been properly maintained and you're playing russian roulette. As much fun as this would be what they did was insane.

My sympathy goes out to their families. Horrible, horrible way to go.

Sorry for the loss of these two people. Also I'm pretty sure I saw a helmet in the background. My issues are more along the lines of why was there only one ambulance dispatched with two people injured, and why did it take some one so long to respond to the person who was obviously still alive...time is of the essence in these situations.

Sorry for the loss of these two people. Also I'm pretty sure I saw a helmet in the background. My issues are more along the lines of why was there only one ambulance dispatched with two people injured, and why did it take some one so long to respond to the person who was obviously still alive...time is of the essence in these situations.

They probably only have one ambulance and if it is down for repairs, they have none.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The article said they were traveling at a high rate of speed and went out of control. I did not see helmets. I watched the video and I felt the medics were desperately trying to help the woman. Tragic story, I hope they had trip insurance and life insurance if they have children at home. Can't get me on one of those mopeds - no way!