Alaska in May or July?

js4rq

Hi!

My partner and I are going to Alaska next year. We were going to book an oceanview cabin on Amsterdam for July, but decided to have a look at May prices and saw that we could get a balcony on Eurodam for slightly more the oceanview on Amsterdam in July.

I know you can't go bear watching at Anan Creek in May, but what other cons are there going in May?

Is Alaska accommodation cheaper in May? :)

Thanks for any input!

We've been on two Alaskan cruises, both in June. You may encounter a late Spring thaw and some things will still be snow covered and frozen. July is the ideal bear watching month because of the salmon run. June was great for the whale watching.

In May, there is usually snow on the peaks, new baby whales playing, less rain, cheaper prices, fewer kids, etc. Cons would be a little colder in the mornings and earlier sunsets.

Late April/early May are our preferred times to visit Alaska to get some great photographs.

juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-153-2.jpg

P5120108-1.jpg

P5110127.jpg

Hi!

My partner and I are going to Alaska next year. We were going to book an oceanview cabin on Amsterdam for July, but decided to have a look at May prices and saw that we could get a balcony on Eurodam for slightly more the oceanview on Amsterdam in July.

I know you can't go bear watching at Anan Creek in May, but what other cons are there going in May?

Thanks for any input!

The more important question is, how do the itineraries compare? You are coming a long way to travel to Alaska, you want to make sure the itinerary is the one that most appeals.

And another important question, does the size of the ship matter? (Eurodam is bigger than Amsterdam)

A "pro" for May is that there are usually fewer kids. Schools in North America usually run until sometime in June.

So.... no answer to your question but more to think about. Sorry :)

We have only cruised in May, this year being our fourth. We like the lower pricing, the weather (with snow on the peaks) and fewer children.

Be sure to check out the availability of excursions that might interest you.This year the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer (Juneau), a highly recommended excursion here on CC, isn't available until the end of May (too much ice).

Have fun with your planning!

We have only cruised in May, this year being our fourth. We like the lower pricing, the weather (with snow on the peaks) and fewer children.

Be sure to check out the availability of excursions that might interest you.This year the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer (Juneau), a highly recommended excursion here on CC, isn't available until the end of May (too much ice).

Have fun with your planning!

Where did you get this?

Hi!

Thanks for any input!

Are you leaving from Seattle or Vancouver ? Seattle are round trips only . Vancouver has one way to Alaska where you can disembark and continue traveling further into Seattle.

Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier tend to be missed more in May .

Edited by Kamloops50

Here's my experience. Last August I took my Mom on an Alaska cruise (Noordam RT Vancouver) as a gift for her 85th birthday. This fall Mom was reminiscing about all the beautiful things we'd seen. Then she said, "But you know, I wonder what it looks like when there's still snow on the mountains." So what did I give Mom for Christmas? A early season Alaska 2016 cruise on the Volendam.

My point? Choose your priorities about itinerary, ship size, balcony, etc. and make your choice for this time. But know that Alaska has an uncanny way of calling you back. Many on this board who made a "once in a lifetime" trip to Alaska return regularly. This trip will be my fourth.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Vicki

I have taken 5 Alaskan cruises, 1 in June, 2 in May and 2 in September. I can tell you it is colder and wetter in May. Fewer kids on the ship but sailing with HAL appeals to older passengers, 50s and 60s or older. I would rather arrive and depart from the same port, cheaper air. Are you loyal to HAL because there are less expensive lines, Princess and Royal Caribbean and they are wonderful cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get this?
I think you were asking about the catamaran excursion out of Juneau (Tracy Arm & Glacier Explorer). When we first booked our HAL Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, I noticed that the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer was not listed among the shore excursions offered, even though our itinerary showed a time for it before the ship was scheduled to dock in Juneau. I emailed Allen Marine, the excursion provider, to ask about it, and Jim replied that they don't start their excursions until the last week in May.

Ok, curious because I do have it booked for May 16th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then I sure wish I was on your cruise! I reviewed my email and noted that Jim did say they "usually" don't start their excursions until the last week in May. Given this year's temps, it wouldn't be surprising that they started earlier. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I'm on Celebrity so it may be a different operator. Still, you scared me a little. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have a good one, too. You are going to love the catamaran cruise. We did it back in 2006, and it remains a favorite of ours.

I have gone mostly in May, June and July.

I love May sailings. I love the snow on the mountains. Yes, bear viewing is out but that is not to say you won't see a bear. I have seen one on most of my trips, when I was least expecting it. The weather is historically dry.

I probably wouldn't go before May 12th or so.

Edited by Coral

I have always preferred late August/September (usually far fewer kids cruising then:o) and have always had great weather and wildlife-spotting, except for a bad storm one year. This year I am going in early May, but it is not my preference - really only because we are joining a group of friends and that time works for them.

The Volendam also has a great itinerary, being Wednesday to Wednesday, so both the ports visited and Vancouver terminal are less busy. Plus it is a perfect size ship. But it's all about personal preference.

Thoughts.... July cost more as it is more popular for

• wildlife opportunities
  • dryer weather in Cascadia
  • warmer temperatures
  • fireworks in Vancouver
  • some Alaskan excursions may not be operating as it's too early in the season
  • potential ice congestion in Tracy Arm.

Edited by xlxo

In May, there is usually snow on the peaks, new baby whales playing, less rain, cheaper prices, fewer kids, etc. Cons would be a little colder in the mornings and earlier sunsets.

Late April/early May are our preferred times to visit Alaska to get some great photographs.

juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-153-2.jpg

P5120108-1.jpg

P5110127.jpg

Stunning photos... sure makes it even harder to decide! :p

Thanks for the input everyone! Certainly something for us to think about... we will look into June and August options as well, and see what prices are like.

A balcony cabin would be nice but not not a must!

Back to research we go! :D

Thanks again!

I vote June... late August starts to get statistically wet. Cold and wet is so depressing for excursions.

But July is still the preferred window and thus commands the higher price.

Nobody mentioned BUGS. May's better for fewer bugs. A few less excursions but snow caped peaks surround. We've been lucky in May with weather, maybe a day of rain but mostly perfect.

Alaska can be like New England, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

There are not bugs on the ship but if you go on excursions that go into the woods, back country, be prepared.

framer

I've sailed Alaska in May and in late July/early August. it is a little chillier in May, but the weather is essentially the same in terms of potential for rain. The rainy season tends to begin in September. The best time to see whales is in May, especially orcas. Humpbacks are usually seen best in June/July.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Nobody mentioned BUGS. May's better for fewer bugs. A few less excursions but snow caped peaks surround. We've been lucky in May with weather, maybe a day of rain but mostly perfect.

Alaska can be like New England, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

There are not bugs on the ship but if you go on excursions that go into the woods, back country, be prepared.

framer

Wow beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! :D