Norwegian - Glacier Bay - Tenders

Heather1972

On my recent NCL cruise, I attended the information session about Alaska cruises. I think the presenter said something that isn't true. He said that the NCL Pearl uses tenders in Glacier Bay to get closer to the glacier. I don't see anything about this on NCL's website. True or not?

Cruise ships are still heavily regulated at GB. I think 2 per day are allowed.

99.9% certain that they won't allow tendering.

But if you want a definitive answer, call NCL and post the answer here.

(if you ever have the chance the GB Lodge and day cruise are wonderful! )

https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/cruise.htm

I have not cruised NCL but I have done other lines in Glacier Bay. I would be willing to bet major amount of bucks that the presenter was wrong. You have to drop anchor to put people on the tenders unless you use the thrusters to hold the ship in place and I seriously doubt that the NPS will let them do either.

If a NCL presenter can make such an obvious egregious error, it makes you wonder what other less obvious mistakes that people on or representing NCL are making.

DON

I wonder if he mis-spoke and meant to say Sawyer Glacier. There is an excursion on a smaller boat that gets you closer to Sawyer Glacier. Although I wouldn't describe it as a tender.

LOL....so true!

The call center representatives at NCL won't know. Calling them is equivalent to playing information roulette, you never know what information you are going up get! Ask on the ncl board first.

They don't do this.

Now from time to time the cruise line can set down a small ship that one or two crew members will go in along with the ships photographer to take photos of the ship with the background of Glacier Bay in it.

Keith

I did an NCL cruise in 2014. When we were at Glacier Bay they set out a life boat with some of the crew people to go up closer. If I remember it correctly it came over the load speaker that each year the ships that came into the glacier could send a one time only lifeboat up closer. It was not for the passengers. They said that day it was so unusually nice they were going to use their one day for the season on that day. It was a gorgeous clear, sunny day. They spoke of pictures. Probably for their websites and advertisement.

• 2 weeks later...