Latest to call the upsell line

joekatie

How late can you wait to call the upsell line? We leave on the getaway Sunday. I won't be able to call tomorrow but was thinking of trying Thursday. Is that too close to the sailing to make any changes? I called a week ago and my wife and I were debating. They had several option at that time. Assuming they have some left, can they make a change that close?

How late can you wait to call the upsell line? We leave on the getaway Sunday. I won't be able to call tomorrow but was thinking of trying Thursday. Is that too close to the sailing to make any changes? I called a week ago and my wife and I were debating. They had several option at that time. Assuming they have some left, can they make a change that close?

one thing to note, thought may/may-not be relevant in your case, we recently did an upsell for our sailing this Saturday on the Jade and they said that sometimes on the Friday before they "sell" the rooms to CAS for them to use. I would think that might be more for suites, but not really sure. It's all based on availability and they do start moving people around i think for upgrades too, so i would call every day and see what they have and what they are offering it upsell for.

when i called last week, the upsell price was much higher and it went down on monday and down again on tuesday, which finally accepted. they keep a record of each of your calls, but its really no hassle for them to check for you.

Also don't feel you can't negotiate, you can.. ask them to check with a supervisor if they can do better on the upsell amount.

Edited by jbiz

one thing to note, thought may/may-not be relevant in your case, we recently did an upsell for our sailing this Saturday on the Jade and they said that sometimes on the Friday before they "sell" the rooms to CAS for them to use. I would think that might be more for suites, but not really sure. It's all based on availability and they do start moving people around i think for upgrades too, so i would call every day and see what they have and what they are offering it upsell for.

when i called last week, the upsell price was much higher and it went down on monday and down again on tuesday, which finally accepted. they keep a record of each of your calls, but its really no hassle for them to check for you.

Also don't feel you can't negotiate, you can.. ask them to check with a supervisor if they can do better on the upsell amount.

Are upsell prices based on the price YOU paid for your room or are they just based on what category room you currently have to the category room you want?

Are upsell prices based on the price YOU paid for your room or are they just based on what category room you currently have to the category room you want?

I think based on what i read is they take what YOU paid, subtract from the current price of the category you want to move to, and then take 50% of that, but that is in general, i think there are variations to that, and sometimes room to negotiate

here are a couple of older threads but i think it still applies..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1454952

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=878717

Edited by jbiz

When is the best time to start calling? Can you get a good price during the summer or are they too busy then?

I am also interested in people's experiences with attempts to get upsells in the summer. Are they non-existent?

I think based on what i read is they take what YOU paid, subtract from the current price of the category you want to move to, and then take 50% of that, but that is in general, i think there are variations to that, and sometimes room to negotiate

here are a couple of older threads but i think it still applies..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1454952

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=878717

Not necessarily, I book CAS comps and get the same price offers as non CAS players.

When I called, the suite I wanted was offered at $500 pp, I offered $750, they countered with $800 (total) and we accepted....I am so glad I took it when I did, the category (SD) sold out!!

And for the person who asked, it all depends on how many rooms are still available. I am booked on the DAWN in October and they are almost sold out of suites already (no upsell on that one)

Good luck with whatever you do-hopefully you score an upsell. We're on same sailing-happy travels!