LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Good Evening from the Beautiful MS Koningsdam!!

Today was our last sea day and tonight our last Gala Night. I am fighting with my body to keep a cold from starting. So had decided to not attend any shows this evening although we did watch the Strings perform at the Lincoln Center Stage for a while.

[ATTACH]382700[/ATTACH]

I finally saw the Famous Captain Albert, he is as personable in person as he is in his blog, I am thrilled I got to meet him.

[ATTACH]382701[/ATTACH]

After dinner we were just passing through the Messina Strait so with our friends Tom and Joe we walked the outside promenade deck. Lot's of people out walking the deck and true definitely no place for deck chairs but to be honest there are more deck chairs than I have ever seen on a ship on many of the other decks and In many secluded areas.

[ATTACH]382702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382704[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]382705[/ATTACH]

It was rumored we would get Inaugural plates tonight, we even seen a cabin steward holding one as he walked down the hall but sadly there was not one in our cabin [emoji22]

Tomorrow we are in Naples Italy and we had booked a very early Panoramic Tour but decided to cancel not wanting a bus ride with potential of lots of winding roads. So going to sleep in and go into town and have pizza and gelato[emoji1303][emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a scale from 1-10, how is the pizza? Thick or thin crust (NY or CHI style)?

Interesting that this implies that one doesn't have to wait for their next cruise but gets their medallion n the cruise they make the next level...
Yes. We got our Copper at 98 days because that's when the Mariner's Brunch fell.

That's not true with stars where nobody knows how many spending bonus days you will get until it's all over.
Correct, but often it's obvious that the level will change without any spending bonus credits.

Unfortunately we have not been out and about much in the evening but I over heard some one talking behind me that stated they liked to dance but the music was just too loud not sure where this was. I have not seen any where there would be ball room dancing like the ocean bar would have.

Many thanks for this info. It is what we are worried about....didn't realize the Ocean Bar has changed until it was too late to cancel and book on another ship and we do want to give Koningsdam a try. I suspect the comment about the loud music was in reference to the BB Kings which we've found so loud we couldn't stay and dance when they performed (it remains a mystery to me why they have to make it so loud people can't enjoy the entertainment). Hopefully we'll find some dancing as a day at sea without time on the dance floor isn't a perfect day...

Hi,

Do you know if the online navigator is downloadable for offline use? We quite often take the paper one ashore with us so we can plan our afternoon/evening over lunch, but this won't be possible on the phone or tablet unless it can be downloaded.

Thanks.

That is so sad that there isn't any room on the Promenade Deck for loungers.

So many people like to sit out there and watch the world go by.

I completely agree. One of the most relaxing and glorious aspects of sailing aboard a ship is becoming a thing of the past. One has to wonder if the cruise lines are purposefully eliminating anything not specifically related to "revenue production". Yes, I get it, stockholders, that the cruise lines are in business to make money. It seems to me that in recent years "mass market" cruise ship are becoming too stimulated. Those serene secluded nooks & crannies of a ships interiors and outer decks are fewer and fewer.

Greetings from Naples Italy.

We spent the day wandering the streets of Naples. Did a little shopping, stopped early for Cappuccino and Croissant then more shopping then had lunch at a Pizzeria.

Lots of young people in the city of Naples.

I know several are upset about the lounge chairs but trust there are numerous places with lounge chairs that are cozy. This is definitely a typical Hal ships with lots of secluded nooks to sit and watch the sea go by.

The one thing exceptionally nice is there is finally entertainment through out the whole evening something I have always felt Hal was lacking. While it looks a different it is truly Hal.

One thing I am very disappointed with is over all food quality, we have seen a gradual decrease over the years and are shocked that every time we go on NCL the food just keeps getting better. Well we had high hopes for the Koningsdam figuring Hal will be out to impress. Sadly the quality in every venue has not been good. We came on board expecting to have problems with the ship and even service that is to be expected and yes we saw plenty. Lots of pipes all over the ship have been breaking and water leaking. Numerous times we saw fans trying to dry carpet. This is all expected even the very slow service but the over all quality of food should be the best. Last night the Lobsters were far too salty to eat and the filets were grizzle soaked in too much tenderizer.

I do hope for those on future sailings that the over all food improves.

We had gone to the Neptune this morning to ask about the Inaugural plate and they acted shocked we did not have one but said they would make sure we got one right away. Of course we are now back and packing and still no plate.

Over all this really is a beautiful ship, lots of things to do and Hal has turned a new corner in entertainment [emoji1303]

I need to put my thoughts together a bit more in comparing the Neptune Suite to an NCL Suite.

It took them all week to figure out no one knew what the menus would be for the Main Dining room So yesterday and now today we finally had them.

7ad15cca7e6f783b1854d7343b632357.jpg

246813ddaa3b186f3a9e0eb305c6c51d.jpg

4a1ef9b1c8a5e3e021eec25fdb09b685.jpg

Then this was lunch today

f715aa213323ebd5e61fa8906e831ae7.jpg

Then we went into an Italian Grocery store Tom wanted to know where the Ragu was lol[emoji6]

e72d4ab5579a50c5bf96bc3f687d076a.jpg

We spent the day wandering the streets of Naples. Did a little shopping, stopped early for Cappuccino and Croissant then more shopping then had lunch at a Pizzeria.

[/img]

Then we went into an Italian Grocery store QUOTE]

Lisa,

Best lunch on board in Italy is when ASHORE! ;-)

During the week did you try out new Canaletto?

Safe trip home. Thanks all your helpful comments and photos.

Stephen

Are you saying we are supposed to get our menu in advance? I never saw one during the whole Christmas cruise. We had to go by the MDR to see what was on offer

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes if you have a Neptune Suite.

[/img]

Then we went into an Italian Grocery store QUOTE]

Lisa,

Best lunch on board in Italy is when ASHORE! ;-)

During the week did you try out new Canaletto?

Safe trip home. Thanks all your helpful comments and photos.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, we will disembark in the morning and will be doing a tour of Rome, then will be spending the night at the Visconti Palace. We have a noon flight on Saturday that gets us back to Las Vegas at 9:30 at night which will make Saturday a very long day[emoji6]so close to 19 hours to get home.

Lisa,

Your photos, narratives, menu postings and great attention to detail are most appreciated. I am really looking forward to your wrap up and comparison of Neptune vs Haven, when you have had a chance to unwind.

Wishing you safe and smooth travels home and thanks again for all the time, effort and expense you have put in to bring me and everyone else along on this cruise.

Marion

That is so sad that there isn't any room on the Promenade Deck for loungers.
I agree. Both Brad and Lisa have reported that there are a lot of loungers on high sunny decks, but that's just not as nice to me as being in a shady spot down closer to the water.

I agree. Both Brad and Lisa have reported that there are a lot of loungers on high sunny decks, but that's just not as nice to me as being in a shady spot down closer to the water.

You couldn't be more right.

It does no good to have lots of loungers in the sun when you want to sit in the shade. Being up on a high deck is not at all the same as sitting closer to water level.

And then there's the awful too loud piped in "music" that tends to be broadcast everywhere---except that lovely lower, shaded, promenade deck.

Looks like this is going to be a "one & done" cruise for me. The Koningsdam is going to have to do something really impressive to get me back, it seems.

You couldn't be more right.

It does no good to have lots of loungers in the sun when you want to sit in the shade. Being up on a high deck is not at all the same as sitting closer to water level.

And then there's the awful too loud piped in "music" that tends to be broadcast everywhere---except that lovely lower, shaded, promenade deck.

Looks like this is going to be a "one & done" cruise for me. The Koningsdam is going to have to do something really impressive to get me back, it seems.

Shade! Such a rare commodity on cruise ships! And if you want shade AND quiet, you've really got to search. I have to say, I didn't notice too much piped in music on HAL, but I don't spend a lot of time by the pools. The ever-present music was one of the things that made my Princess cruise a one & done. It's a shame that the only way you can find peace and quiet on some ships is to have a balcony.

I hope you'll be able to find some of the quiet nooks Lisa mentioned when you sail on K'dam.

<SNIP>

I know several are upset about the lounge chairs but trust there are numerous places with lounge chairs that are cozy. This is definitely a typical Hal ships with lots of secluded nooks to sit and watch the sea go by.

<SNIP>

Glad to hear that with also a question. How is the promenade deck for walking? If you have some experience I'd especially be in a comparison with the tracks on Allure OTS or Breakaway.

Roy

Thanks so much for this live review. The photos were very helpful. We've come to appreciate HAL's longer cruises on the smaller, older ships. We did a TA last fall, 50 days on the Maasdam and are booked for the VoV this summer on the Rotterdam. Your review has helped convince me that the bigger ships are nice but the smaller ones with longer itineraries work better for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that with also a question. How is the promenade deck for walking? If you have some experience I'd especially be in a comparison with the tracks on Allure OTS or Breakaway.

Roy

I'd love an answer to this too, since I asked back in post #333. The photos show some very narrow areas...