Barclay Arrival MC Card & Big Box TA

cheeto

I am thinking of getting the Barclay Arrival CC in order to use the rewards for my Alaska cruise in 2017. The credit card website says that travel charges from travel agents and cruise lines are eligible for cash back redemption which I hope to have a good amount by next April to redeem.

I got the idea from BlizzardBoy to book directly with HAL and then transfer to his big box TA that gives a 6-8% OBC. So now I was thinking I could use the new credit card to earn and use for cashback but I wanted to confirm that the charge on the credit card would show from a Travel Agent and not just the name of the Big Box / Bulk Store it is a part of.

I guess if it doesn't show as a TA on the credit card statement, Would I be able to pay it in full directly with HAL and still be able to switch the reservation to the Big Box TA before final payment date for their OBC?

It is possible I am other thinking this.

I am thinking of getting the Barclay Arrival CC in order to use the rewards for my Alaska cruise in 2017. The credit card website says that travel charges from travel agents and cruise lines are eligible for cash back redemption which I hope to have a good amount by next April to redeem.

I got the idea from BlizzardBoy to book directly with HAL and then transfer to his big box TA that gives a 6-8% OBC. So now I was thinking I could use the new credit card to earn and use for cashback but I wanted to confirm that the charge on the credit card would show from a Travel Agent and not just the name of the Big Box / Bulk Store it is a part of.

I guess if it doesn't show as a TA on the credit card statement, Would I be able to pay it in full directly with HAL and still be able to switch the reservation to the Big Box TA before final payment date for their OBC?

Once you have the cruise totally paid for, it can't be transferred. however, you can pay the majority of the cruise leaving $100-200 or maybe a little more, then transfer.

Once you have the cruise totally paid for, it can't be transferred. however, you can pay the majority of the cruise leaving $100-200 or maybe a little more, then transfer.

Thank you, that makes sense. I am glad I asked.

I just got a AAA MasterCard that offers 3% back on travel; I paid off a cruise at the big box TA and got the 3%. I don't think it matters what shows up on your statement as much as how the company is coded in the credit card issuer's database.

For what it's worth, the big box doesn't take MasterCard, so the TA part of it can be categorized as something else than a retail store. They are separate.

When I book a cruise through a TA, the charge appears on the credit card from the cruise line. It is a big, big, red flag if the TA charges your card. Too many TA have gone under after taking your money. Now I doubt the Big Box is going under but it still isn't good business practices for the TA to charge your card. It should be easy to verify who is placing the charge on your card. Call the Big Box, only they can tell you how it works with them.

The charge will show up on the Barclay CC account whether it be a 'big box' reservation (we currently use the 'C' big box for the great OBC's), internet TA's or a direct HAL reservation (be sure to transfer prior to final payment).

Like most mileage / travel cards sign up for the freebies (first year = no cost), charge X dollars ($2-3 K minimum within 2-3 months) = 50,000 points or a minimum of $500 travel credit cash plus depending on your card).

Bottom line: manipulating a credit card or two will help out with your travel expenses somewhat but certainly not all.

Be well.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

I just consolidated 3 reservation deposits with HAL that I had made for next year before my bride made her final choice. Our cruise is now all but paid for and I'll still transfer it to my big-box TA right before final payment is due for their perks. HAL will always accept payment(s) in advance of your final payment date, so you should be able to pay for your cruise, or the majority, direct with HAL, then transfer the booking before final payment date. FYI, if you have cruise credit from HAL, say from a problem on your last cruise, they deduct it from the fare before transferring it to your TA, so don't expect TA OBC etc on that portion. I also don't suggest paying this far in advance for obvious reasons, but I had already used the accrued rewards from the credit card deposits to pay for airline tickets.

Edited by blizzardboy

T

Like most mileage / travel cards sign up for the freebies (first year = no cost), charge X dollars ($2-3 K minimum within 2-3 months) = 50,000 points or a minimum of $500 travel credit cash plus depending on your card).

Bottom line: manipulating a credit card or two will help out with your travel expenses somewhat but certainly not all.

Bob:)

Here is question which I have been pondering over. Since math is not my forte, perhaps others can help.

In your example of 50,000 points or $500 travel credit cash, it is only 1%, so the travel credit probably isn't worth giving up $50,000 AA points. But . . . in the case of another poster who got a 3% cash back on an AA MC, is the 3% more valuable than accumulating points?

For example, you can either pay $50,000 for a cruise fare and receive $50,000 points with AA, or you can get 3% or $1,500 back, which lowers the fare to $48,500. $50,000 (before AA increased the FF miles to Europe) would buy a one-way ticket in business class, which is considerable more expensive than $1,500. Have I just answered my question? Hmm....