Viking River Cruise & airfare

phantom43

We are getting ready to plan a river cruise in China with Viking River Cruises. I am considering getting a package with airfare included and was wondering if anyone had done this and how it worked out? Do you book the flights through them? Did flight arrangements and transfers go smoothly? Any pros/cons to doing it this way vs making flight arrangements on our own? Thanks for any tips & advice.

I can't answer your question. But this will move you post up. Did you search Viking China threads using the Cruise Critic search function? There is a lot of Viking China posts.

While I am not a Viking fan at all I understand from many other posters that when it comes to China they do a really great job!

Have a great time planning your trip!

Edited by JVilleGal

When you book with a cruise line and air is included they fly you in the day your cruise leaves. Tickets are usually ticketed 75 days out.

However it you choose to fly in a day or two before (highly recommended) or stay a day or two longer you pay a deviation fare of $50 per person. When you pay this extra amount you also have a say in flights.

In Sept, I am doing a cruise on the Elbe. Flying in 4 days earlier to Prague staying 4 more days in Berlin and then flying to Paris (on our own air) with Viking ticketing our air from Paris to the states. With almost 160 days out I chose my flights and Viking agreed. I am already ticketed and have my seat assignments.

I do like to have some control over air and think the extra $100 was worth it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by krillsister

We paid $100 pp to change departure date. Viking still picked the flight we were on but we picked the day. In order for us to pick the flight it was an extra $50 pp to make it a custom flight. I wanted the 5pm flight but Viking booked me on the 10am flight.

If you book a pre-cruise extend through Viking, do they still charge deviation fees? I would expect they would handle airport transfers as well?

No deviation fee; airport and ship transfers are included in the price of the extension.

We are getting ready to plan a river cruise in China with Viking River Cruises. I am considering getting a package with airfare included and was wondering if anyone had done this and how it worked out? Do you book the flights through them? Did flight arrangements and transfers go smoothly? Any pros/cons to doing it this way vs making flight arrangements on our own? Thanks for any tips & advice.

We booked our Air with Viking and paid the additional money to pick our own flights and also additional to go to Hong Kong on our own for 3 nights before flying to Shanghai.

Pros: Transfers to/from airport provided, problems with arrival will also be dealt with

Cons: While not caused by Viking, we received a message that due to a "midlevel change" by our carrier, we had been moved from our 930 AM flight to one the same day at 1255 AM. This required quite a bit of action on our part--changing transportation to the airport; having the dog/house sitter arrive a day earlier, etc. I finally found out that the original fight was canceled by the carrier--

I also think we would have saved money and booked a fare where we had assigned seats.

Departing in a week--so will provide an update then.

• 2 weeks later...

Viking does a good job when you book everything with them.....air,transfers,pre or post stays. It is seamless and easy. I have done it many times. Recently I booked a cruise and asked to include a post stay. My TA told me that the Viking post stay hotel was sold out. I paid the $100 pp fee to change my date to fly home. I booked my own hotel in a better location.. I will also have to arrange my own transfers from ship to hotel and from hotel to airport. Overall, it wasn't a big deal. If Viking had had space in their hotel package, I would have booked it. Deviation allows you to change dates and book your own hotel. Many Viking hotel selections are good. Some are not. Booking your own hotel allows you more flexiblity. Before you book that pre or post hotel stay, explore options of paying the deviation fee and do your own thing.