Help with procedure of disembarking/embarking the ship at each Port

Hi there.

I could really use some help and information.

My girlfriend and I are going on a Western Caribbean Cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas April 23rd and I've had a few questions as I am a first time cruiser. Someone referred me to this forum so here goes:

Can someone please explain to me the Disembarkation process on a Royal Caribbean ship when arriving at a port?

Our excursions start shortly after our arrival times in Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel Mexico. Any tips on how to get off the ship in a prompt manner? Anything different about disembarking in these places (or getting back on the ship when the day is done?)

What do we need to bring in terms of identification? I bring my SeaPass card; so besides that do we have to bring a passport? Driver's licence for other photo id? etc.

Do we have to go through Customs in each Port?

What kind of time frame should we leave for getting back onboard so we can do what we need to do so we aren't rushed/miss the ship?

Does anyone have any tips for this process or info about the piers in each of our destinations?

Thank you very much for any information.

Very easy. Bring your sea pass card and they scan it when you leave.

Some people will say bring your passports. Others say take a picture of it on your phone. I personally don't bring our passports. RC recommends bringing a photo id.

Are your shore excursions privately booked or through RC? RC guarantees that they will wait for your shore excursion if you book through them. That being said, I almost always book private excursions myself. So I'm a bit conservative and plan on being back to the pier area at least an hour before (sometimes 2) but it depends on what we do. We like getting back earlyand relaxing before getting ready for dinner.

You do not need an excursion at Labadee. I hate to see a first time cruiser waste their money. This is a beautiful beach day for no extra cost. Lunch is served at several locations at Labadee. You can explore on your own and go out to Dragon's Breath point, if you want more than a lovely beach day. Of course if you want to pay for an excursion that is your business. But I don't know if you realize what Labadee really is. No worries getting off at all your ports. If you have private excursions, all those operators know when the ships arrive and unless you simply dawdle around, they will not leave without you. Be sure you are back on the ship on or before the designated time. Enjoy you first cruise.

None of your ports will use tenders, so basically when they announce that the ship is secure you can get off. They will likely have more than one gangway open, near the elevators. You will use your room key to exit the ship. There will be a person selling water just before the exit, or you can get bottles cheaply on shore for cash.

Ship-based tours generally meet on the pier near the ship or on shore at the end of the pier. Look for the guide holding a sign for your tour. Some tours have an A, B, C, ... at the end of the tour number. This is for those that have several different times. Meeting time and place is on your ticket, which will be in your cabin when you first get onboard (generally allowed after 1 PM). You don't need to be there until about 10 minutes before the meeting time for this cruise line and many people will show up at that time. If you are 1/2 hour early the guide may not even be there yet.

If you made private tour arrangements you probably have an email from the vendor telling you where to meet.

Falmouth bus tours generally meet all the way through the port and slightly to the left at the bus circle. Cozumel tours often meet just inside the port through the port building. Your ticket will tell you. Shore excursion staff will be around if you need help.

Take a picture ID, your room key and the tour tickets with you. Take a pool towel with you. On most ships they only check these out on the port mornings and otherwise you can get what you need near the pool without checking them out. If you check towels out, make sure you check them back in when you get back to the ship. Often there is a wet towel bin as you are getting back onboard.

Take cash (small bills) for tips and incidentals with you. Maybe a credit card if you are planning on making any bigger purchases. The dock areas in Falmouth and Coz have a ton of shopping available within the secure area. Look for Cinco Soles vanilla in Coz.

To get back on you may or may not need your picture ID to get into the port. That is it for port formalities. If you are on a tour bus you likely don't even need that. Your room key gets you back on the ship. Bags are run through an xray and you go through a metal detector when getting back onboard. No customs, but they could have dogs checking for drugs.

There are signs posted as you exit the ship when the last-onboard time is. Recommend getting back at least 1/2 hour before that. Note that ship time may be different than port time. ONLY SHIP TIME COUNTS. If you have a smart phone it could reset to local time even if you don't have a local phone plan. Use a watch. Legit tour operators know when you have to be back and will get you back on time.

Check the Ports of Call boards for information on the ports. With tours you may not have too much time to look around. These are good ports for new cruisers, so you should have a lot of fun.

Please check the Cruise Compass (the daily newspaper you will get in your cabin each night) for the specific instructions for the next day's port. Some require that you bring a picture i.d. - some do not. Some times the local authorities match the i.d. to the name on the sea pass card before letting you back into the area where you reboard the ship. This can be the case even if you have been on a ship's tour. Just follow those instructions and you will be fine.

It's always a good idea to have photo ID on you ANYWHERE! While your ship's card shows a photo of you in the scanner machine, it doesn't have a picture or your name on it....so bring your DL...same size as your ship's card!