Maasdam gone by 2018

dogo88

We were just on the Maasdam March 29 to April 9. The ship is lovely, the showroom is a bit awkward, newer ships have more of a stadium seating arrangement, while the lesser incline in seating makes it a little harder to see, we were still able to enjoy the shows we attended. The public areas were in good repair and had no air conditioning issues that we were aware of. Our cabin, an ocean view on deck 4 midship, was very nice and quite comfortable. Some people may have had air conditioning issues, but none that we spoke with. One couple that we met had their cabin flood from the ceiling that was resolved, although it took longer than I would have patience for. They had such a positive attitude, they weathered the situation with class. Overall, we were quite pleased with the condition of the ship. We would not have any reservations about sailing her again, although DH prefers the Vista and Signature class ships.

To get back to the mechanical issues, I am on the same cruise as JudithLynne and I have the same concerns. I realize the ship will be gone in 2018 but they are still making $ and booking it for the next year so HAL should be addressing these issues. There is clearly a pattern showing in recent reviews [CC and other cruise websites] about A/C and plumbing, and dining not up to standards folks are used to. I hope HAL is paying attention, hard to keep repeat customers if they don't. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the itinerary and the friends I am traveling with, I just don't want to spend my free time at guest services trying to get my cabin fixed. As a woman in her 50's, I got enough internal A/C issues anyway !! ;)

We were just on the Maasdam March 29 to April 9. Our cabin' date=' an ocean view on deck 4 midship, was very nice and quite comfortable. Some people may have had air conditioning issues, but none that we spoke with. One couple that we met had their cabin flood from the ceiling that was resolved, although it took longer than I would have patience for. They had such a positive attitude, they weathered the situation with class. Overall, we were quite pleased with the condition of the ship. We would not have any reservations about sailing her again, although DH prefers the Vista and Signature class ships.[/quote']

We were on the same sailing as you. See my previous post. We also were on Deck 4 - mid ship - cabin 774 and had problems with our AC. Even after the "technician" worked on our AC, it still only stayed a very warm 74 degrees. This was not acceptable to us. The folks in the cabin next door to us #480 said their cabin was cool.

I would NOT sail on the Maasdam again. Service was slow in both the MDR and Lido. I have emailed HAL about our many concerns and are patiently waiting for a reply.

We were on the same sailing as you. See my previous post. We also were on Deck 4 - mid ship - cabin 774 and had problems with our AC. Even after the "technician" worked on our AC, it still only stayed a very warm 74 degrees. This was not acceptable to us. The folks in the cabin next door to us #480 said their cabin was cool.

I would NOT sail on the Maasdam again. Service was slow in both the MDR and Lido. I have emailed HAL about our many concerns and are patiently waiting for a reply.

Folks next door to us were in #780 and not 480. Cabins #s were very confusing. We were on deck 4, but our cabins were in the 700's. I had family on deck 5 with cabin #s in the 500's and 600's. Odd way to lay out a ship!

We were just on the Maasdam March 29 to April 9. The ship is lovely' date=' the showroom is a bit awkward, newer ships have more of a stadium seating arrangement, while the lesser incline in seating makes it a little harder to see, we were still able to enjoy the shows we attended. The public areas were in good repair and had no air conditioning issues that we were aware of. Our cabin, an ocean view on deck 4 midship, was very nice and quite comfortable. Some people may have had air conditioning issues, but none that we spoke with. One couple that we met had their cabin flood from the ceiling that was resolved, although it took longer than I would have patience for. They had such a positive attitude, they weathered the situation with class. Overall, we were quite pleased with the condition of the ship. We would not have any reservations about sailing her again, although DH prefers the Vista and Signature class ships.[/quote']

So based upon your statement of " One couple that we met had their cabin flood from the ceiling that was resolved, although it took longer than I would have patience for." would you have been as forgiving if it had been your cabin?

Here's the issue I have a problem with. I understand that older ships have issues but people seem to give a pass on problems as long as it's not their cabin. I paid a lot for a Verandah cabin. I expect stuff to work or at the very least get resolved quickly. I didn't see anywhere in the cruise contract where it said older ships get a pass for problems.

In fairness to HAL we had a great time. Some stuff was good, others not so good. Air conditioning was fixed in a reasonable time for us. Our cruising partners, not so much. We are tolerant of a lot of issues that happen onboard.

Dan

Edited by dogo88
spelling

We were just on the Maasdam March 29 to April 9. The ship is lovely' date=' the showroom is a bit awkward, newer ships have more of a stadium seating arrangement, while the lesser incline in seating makes it a little harder to see, we were still able to enjoy the shows we attended. The public areas were in good repair and had no air conditioning issues that we were aware of. Our cabin, an ocean view on deck 4 midship, was very nice and quite comfortable. Some people may have had air conditioning issues, but none that we spoke with. One couple that we met had their cabin flood from the ceiling that was resolved, although it took longer than I would have patience for. They had such a positive attitude, they weathered the situation with class. Overall, we were quite pleased with the condition of the ship. We would not have any reservations about sailing her again, although DH prefers the Vista and Signature class ships.[/quote']

We were on the same cruise and there were 54 cabins with no A/C and temperatures in the 80's at embarkation in the cabin.

Yes it was still a fun cruise, but even if you live in Florida I would think sleeping in a cabin at 81 degrees might be a bit warm.

We call it cheating the customer. Knowingly selling a product/service that the provider knows to be deficient (notwithstanding what the front desk folks are directed to say).

We understand that things can go wrong. But HAL is simply not maintaining their older ships to standard.

Why on earth would we ever take a chance in ending up in a cabin with AC or plumbing issues such as reported regularly on Veendam and Masdam, etc when we avoid these issues by booking another ship or another cruise line? We value our time and our money.

Not certain why people make excuses for HAL. There is no excuse. A number of ships in their fleet are well past their sell by date if only because their engineering systems have either not been maintained or have not been updated. We do not want a shut up and go away OBC, future cruise credit, cheap bottle of plonk, covered strawberries, or a Pinnacle dinner. We just want what we pay for....a functioning cabin. Is that so unreasonable?

We call it cheating the customer. Knowingly selling a product/service that the provider knows to be deficient (notwithstanding what the front desk folks are directed to say).

We understand that things can go wrong. But HAL is simply not maintaining their older ships to standard.

Why on earth would we ever take a chance in ending up in a cabin with AC or plumbing issues such as reported regularly on Veendam and Masdam, etc when we avoid these issues by booking another ship or another cruise line? We value our time and our money.

Not certain why people make excuses for HAL. There is no excuse. A number of ships in their fleet are well past their sell by date if only because their engineering systems have either not been maintained or have not been updated. We do not want a shut up and go away OBC, future cruise credit, cheap bottle of plonk, cove ered strawberries, or a Pinnacle dinner. We just want what we pay for....a functioning cabin. Is that so unreasonable?

I could not agree more!

Not certain why people make excuses for HAL. There is no excuse. A number of ships in their fleet are well past their sell by date if only because their engineering systems have either not been maintained or have not been updated. We do not want a shut up and go away OBC, future cruise credit, cheap bottle of plonk, covered strawberries, or a Pinnacle dinner. We just want what we pay for....a functioning cabin. Is that so unreasonable?

Well said!

There would be hell to pay if Americans checked into a hotel room and routinely experienced plumbing and AC problems. Why do some loyalists here minimize the issue? I Keep reading these threads trying to understand why.

There are so many choices out there and we've been spending our money elsewhere.

Ian, you have gone this over and over again and again. You are so wrong and for many reasons... point out many time. The system works and works extremely well. Some small parts may cause the system in THAT cabin to sail, not on the whole ship. Do you replace everything in your car or your house because the whole wiring system need replacement or do you just put in a new fuse? If the system is as 'easy' to take it out and get a whole new system.

Hotels are easy. If the AC and you are not happy all you do it go to another hotel. How do you find a new hotel in the middle of the ocean? DUH!!!!

On any ship we hear of fails of systems. Do I hear 100 passengers complaining of a problem on THIS cruise? No. It does happened. Horrible and a nuisance and yes, anyone wants compensation. You don't know how much HAL or any other cruise lines pays or does in the maintenance on their ships. You are guessing.

The last time I had a problem on a ship was in 2008 in SAGA ROSE on a 45 year ship. The whole AC plant failed. In fact EVERYTHING failed. For 12 hours everything was BLACK. No lights, no water, no toilets NOTHNG... and in the middle of the Philippine Sea in mid summer. Took three days with minimal of anything to get to Sebu.

Complain that HAL are not spending money on the ship or that they old doesn't even wash. Shucks, you don't look floods... should KONINGSDAM go back to Marghera are start all over again?

Well said!

I Keep reading these threads trying to understand why.

There are so many choices out there and we've been spending our money elsewhere.

AC and toilets in land hotels do not the same way as ships do. The problems of toilet and AC can happen on ANY SHIP.

54 Cabins with no A/C and 2 with water leaks and floods is approximately 10 percent of the passengers on the ship, or about 112 people. I would call that significant.

Yes, and then what happened? Repairs? Passengers moved?

Where were the 54 cabins located in the ship? In one area or all over the ship?

Thanks.

Only passengers involved in water damage moved, the rest had to sweat it out in 80 degree temperatures for four days...... It is very difficult to sleep in a cabin that is that warm. The cabins were on multiple floors in blocks of 6 to seven from the top deck to the bottom.

Only passengers involved in water damage moved, the rest had to sweat it out in 80 degree temperatures for four days...... It is very difficult to sleep in a cabin that is that warm. The cabins were on multiple floors in blocks of 6 to seven from the top deck to the bottom.

I can imagine. When I first went to sea my ships had no AC.. at all! Persian Gulf in mid August at Jebel Dhanna. Horrible place. Loading cruise oil where the crude comes right out from the desert and bubbles at 120 F. Smells like rotten eggs! No AC at all. If you break an egg out on the steel deck it fries.

Where was the ship as in port or region? What happened after the 4 days? Did you know what happened with the plant? Cooling problem or circulation problem.

Thanks for taking the time with this.

This was a recent cruise to the southern Caribbean, March 29-April 9. And with all due respect to your discomfort while in the service, this was supposed to be a pleasure cruise.

Yeah, I thought I was supposed to be on a pleasure cruise as well! :eek:

A good friend of mine was First Officer in the old Cunard liner CARONIA. He made several world cruises in that ship as First Officer. After the last voyage the captain wrote the Personal Report back to Head Office: "This officer feels that Cunard put the CARONIA onto the world cruise so that he could enjoy the cruise entirely for his benefit!"

I don't won't to minimize you discomfort. The system went down for 50 cabins for four whole days. It was then repaired. I'm just trying to say that when this crap happens then it gets fixed. It does not mean that the ship is badly or no money on maintenance. Spending millions on a new system would not make it all perfect. The same problem can happen again... even on a brand new ship.

Another poster who claims to have hundreds of days on Masdam reported that he/she is no longer a fan.

Why? Because they had cabin A/C problems on each of their last three Masdam cruises. I would call them very patient. Certainly more patient than us.

Yes, other ships can and do have AC problems. But it seems to me that no other ships have AC and plumbing issues reported on this board with such stunning regularity and for such as long time as these two. A little more than coincidence even if it is brushed of by those who appear to be emotionally attached to HAL and/or these particular ships. The well used 'AC issues are caused by people leaving balcony doors open' seems to assume to me that all of the miscreants travel on these two ships. No sale.

Edited by iancal

The smaller ships need to charge a higher price, due to the higher expense per passenger ratio. Even with the higher price the profit per passenger would be lower then with the new ships...

Not so - actually the net profit per passenger would be higher on the small ships than on the larger ships. However, HAL's per cruise profit contribution to Carnival from small ship cruises is less than it is for larger ships on comparable length cruises. Don't take my word for it - ask an accountant.

I am amazed at how almost overnight the Maasdam became Poision! No, I am not a diehard Maasdam fan. We only sailed her once, 50 days on her last Nov-Dec and all 50 days were enjoyed immensely.

Yes we had A/C issues 2 days leaving Ft. lauderdale and last two days returning, but because we took note of prior post re this we had requested a stateroom fan in advance which made it tolerable. Fortunately we had no plumbing issues which likely would not have been solved so easily.

About a year ago a similar thread was chewing the Veendam a new 'you know what' and all seems to be forgotten.

Just saying; I would sail her again. Hopefully we will have that chance before she leaves the fleet.

I think that is the big difference.

We would not consider booking a cruise on a ship where we felt we had to pre order a fan for the cabin in anticipation/expectation that the AC might malfunction.

We would pass and book on another ship-HAL or otherwise.