Question about Cabin Stewards

xbriannao

Another thought to consider.

Let's say one of you had a "rough night", and wants to really sleep in. You decide you want to do whatever-it-is-you-do and leave the "Snoozin'" thingie on the door as you leave.

CAREFUL! Those cute little signs have a way of doing a "180" or fall to the floor when you shut the door. So, look over your shoulder at the cabin door before you venture off!:rolleyes:*

*So says the voice of experience......

I know that always happens to us, my husband is always checking to make sure it's still there. I wish they were heavier or magnetized or something to help them stay put. LOL. Or like others have stated hope no kids want to play a game and turn them over to the opposite side.

It's much safer as a woman that travels alone for me to lock my deadbolt than to worry about what if I fall or become ill. If I can call for help, they can still get in. If I can't call for help, then I guess I'm stuck until someone finds me - deadbolt or not.

Stay safe and avoid surprises. Use the deadbolt. That's what it's there for. If you choose not to, then don't come back here complaining that the steward was constantly "barging in". As others have said, the door signs have a way of getting flipped around, falling down, or flat out disappearing.

They won't clean while you are in the room. Last year our son spilled his chocolate milk all over the bed. I asked our steward for new sheets. He said he would do it but we all had to leave the room while he changed the sheets.

Ha ha....a friend of mine sleeps like a ROCK...and totally under the covers! At a hotel, she was sleeping in, and the housekeeper came in, cleaned the bathroom, straightened up, and THEN noticed someone was still in the bed! (The deadbolt wasn't on, because her husband had gone to breakfast!!!!)

Remember that they do have to check on you if they have not been in the room for more than 24 hours. Even with the snoozin sign out, they or security will open the door and check on you just to make sure you are alive and don't have a disease that could put the rest of the ship in danger.

We experienced this in 2012 when our travel partner stayed in their room for 2 days. The steward asked us and we said we had not seen them and then he said he was going to have to let security know.

I wish there was another way to let the room steward know if you were "snoozin' or cruisin" instead of those cards. As others have said they can fall off, or kids can think it's fun to turn them around, etc.

Maybe have "occupied" show through when you turn the deadbolt, like they do on the porta-johns when you lock the door. Or "snoozin' ".

As for not using the deadbolt because of being afraid they couldn't get to you if something happened to you (very ill, heart attack, etc.) I still prefer to use the deadbolt in a hotel for my peace of mind and safety. If something is seriously wrong they can still get in to help you by breaking the door down if they have to.

We always use the deadbolt when we're in our stateroom on a cruise ship.

If we don't want to be disturbed, we put out the Snoozin sign. We always lock the deadbolt, but we do the same thing at home...that's just a safety thing. Never had any problems with any of our stewards being in our room if we didn't want them to be there. Have a great cruise!

CAREFUL! Those cute little signs have a way of doing a "180" or fall to the floor when you shut the door. So, look over your shoulder at the cabin door before you venture off!:rolleyes:*

*So says the voice of experience......

A tiny tick of tape (we use colorful duct tape) will do the trick to prevent the falling to the floor... Always bring duct tape on a cruise!

On my last cruise I was playing on my phone while my 3 year old was napping. The steward knocked, I didn't answer, opened the door walked in saw we were sleeping and walked out. We had no sign posted either way.

On Carnival Spirit, on the day of boarding, the room steward asked if I would like the room cleaned in the morning or the evening. I said it will depend on how much I have been drinking.

He then asked that I use the snoozin/cruizin sign so that he would know when to clean.

I thought that they had the new cabin service request forms. Couldn't you just mark evening cabin service only?

I can be a bit of a late sleeper also and this is what I plan to do.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your replies! I will be sure to use the sign as well as the deadbolt if I plan to sleep in. I just wanted others opinions as to what they did on their cruise to make it the easiest for me and my cabin steward.(:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We ended up in a handicap room on our last cruise on the Liberty even though we didn't need it. The location was great, on the Lido deck near the pool BUT I didn't care for the layout at all. The room was "sideways" with the door between the bed and the bathroom, the bathroom was larger and the rest of the room smaller. The door opened automatically BUT there was no deadbolt!