Pregnancy announcement while on family cruise?

emiliebee

LOL - the morning sickness which can occur at any time during the day may be a dead giveaway and no cute little announcement will be necessary. The rushing away from the table as the smell of something you normally love to eat brings your stomach up to your nose is an experience not to be forgotten.

I am sure your mother and mother-in-law haven't forgotten.

Make sure you pack a box of plain soda crackers and antacids for your cruise. You may be very glad you did.

So funny to see this post. There has been this rash of pregnancy announcements at work lately . Two girls have found out they are pregnant and three people have just found out they are going to be grandparents.

My 4 kids are all old enough and three are in long term relationships and on their own , but no foreseeable wedding or baby announcements .

Which is great. They work hard , two are still furthering their education while working. When they are ready , they are ready.

DW and I started very very early (not by choice in some cases ) . Which is why we are way too young to have such old kids *LOL*

With all the recent baby announcements at work, DW and I were just talking about when one of ours finally makes the announcement.

Oldest DD will definately have to make some big announcement with cakes, and t shirts and ultrasounds in frames. The other 2 will just come out and tell us. And if we left it up to oldest DS , one day he will just call us and say "Oh I can't come over and do the yard today " (He's a landscaper ) "Jessie's water broke and I had to take her to the hospital .....we told you a while back she was pregnant right ? .....No?. I thought I did ... Oh well it's a girl, you wanna come and see her ?" :) *LOL*

Babyher, your post cracked me up! My son is just like your oldest - I've said since he was little that he would one day say to me "Mom, this is Susan. We're getting married - tomorrow. And by the way, you're already a grandmother." DD, on the other hand, will share way too much information, with all the gory details, right from day 1. It's astounding how different they can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm also going to vote for not announcing it until week 12. A photographer I know announced on Facebook at week 10 then lost the baby a week later. Easier (at least for most people) to ride it out when it's not public knowledge. My cousin has somehow managed to keep her pregnancy off Facebook (so far), not even any pictures of her "showing", and I think she's at week 31.

As a former volunteer photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, I've seen how devastating a loss of a baby can be, and how suddenly it can happen, even full-term. The longer you wait, the less you'll have to explain. Just my $0.02...

Babyher, your post cracked me up! My son is just like your oldest - I've said since he was little that he would one day say to me "Mom, this is Susan. We're getting married - tomorrow. And by the way, you're already a grandmother." DD, on the other hand, will share way too much information, with all the gory details, right from day 1. It's astounding how different they can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We must have gotten our kids from the same stork *LOL*

My youngest DS is the same way. Wayyyyyyyyyyy too much information :) You are actually sorry you even asked :)

However I have to admit. I have learned that when he comes to you and says "Ya wanna hear something that is "messed" up" Only he doesn't say "Messed" :) Say yes ...I promise it will be a fascinating look at the human condition from a point of view that only my son can offer *LOL*

I'm also going to vote for not announcing it until week 12. A photographer I know announced on Facebook at week 10 then lost the baby a week later. Easier (at least for most people) to ride it out when it's not public knowledge. My cousin has somehow managed to keep her pregnancy off Facebook (so far), not even any pictures of her "showing", and I think she's at week 31.

As a former volunteer photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, I've seen how devastating a loss of a baby can be, and how suddenly it can happen, even full-term. The longer you wait, the less you'll have to explain. Just my $0.02...

You are a real ray of sunshine, aren't you? :rolleyes: Geez, just let the happy couple announce and be happy.

I agree about waiting however if you choose to do it the first night remember a bunch of things. It is very chaotic the first night. Getting a regular celebration honored at that time might be tough. We once boarded when it was my grandson's birthday that day. Not wanting to disappointment him I called ahead to the "special occasion" department and asked for a real cake. It was a charge (per person) but it was still cheap and a very excellent cake. That way they can write whatever you want on it.

You could always do the cake. Hand them a gift bag with the sonogram, t-shirt and onesie just as they are bringing out the cake. Too much will be happening for them at one time to completely focus. They will be opening as the cake is delivered. Have your camera ready. You might also be able to arrange in advance for the ship's photographer to be there and catch the moment. That way you might be able to catch everyone's reaction instead of just one.

Congrats!!! Please ignore the advise of others and announce your pregnancy as soon as you feel comfortable! Mental health experts are actually against the whole wait until the first trimester is over advice because, god forbid, is anything were to happen it can make perspective parents feel even worse becuase an environment of secrecy and "not talking about it" is promoted. Besides, wouldn't most people who have a miscarriage tell their parents anways? It's not like a major health problem like that would be kept secret from close family members.

On a happier note, you've gotten some great ideas. I would look online for onsies that say something like "baby's first vacation" on them, and give them to the grandparents at a convienet time on the first day

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are looking for a quieter dining venue for your announcement,, the specialty dining places are generally quieter the first night and would be a great place to announce and celebrate. We had the most fabulous meal at the Bayou Cafe on the Coral, if you like filet it was one of the best we have had. We were with a group of 8, seven of us had the filet and all cooked to perfection and delicious.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Mental health experts are actually against the whole wait until the first trimester is over .......

Recently our neighbor went to an announcement party about whether a boy or a girl would soon be born.

The unusual thing (at least I never head this before) is that before the party only a friend of the mother-to-be knew the sex of the expected baby.

That's right, even the mother-to-be learned at this party if the child would be male or female. Of course the future father and grandparents also learned about it for the first time at this party.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I could surprise them?

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

On the second, I DO have a way to surprise them -- now I'm just spitballin' a little here -- somehow I think you MUST make the announcement during the Friday Baked Alaska portion of your formal dining. THEN after the announcement and tumult...ALSO, tell them that you waited because you've seriously decided to name the baby, "Alaska!"

OK, I didn't say my surprise idea was any good, it's just something I'D like to see (or at least on a sit-com or sumptin').

GREAT time for all. Perhaps you can have a maitre'd or somebody surreptitiously record the unveiling....?

Whatever you do, will you please come back on this board and tell us all about it??? How did you decide to announce? When? What was the reaction? Inquiring minds want to know.

Congratulations. I am very happy for you and your hubby.

SilverBird

You know how when passengers are late from Port, or don't show up to muster they page them? I wonder if you could get the ship to page them. If you are with them they could page grandma xxxx and grandpa xxxx. Or you could get them paged to a location where you are waiting with something special. A shirt I guess..., but gifts with "grandparent gear" is the way I'd go. Something you know the child will do with their grandparents. Blue and pink fishing lures, a cookie baking apron (personalized of course), Blue and pink golf balls, knitting needles and blue and pink yarn. Whatever makes sense for you. Something small, but meaningful.

Our grand daughter wanted us to all get together on our balcony on formal night to get some photos, and dropped the news there. It was perfect because everybody had a camera, we got lots of pictures, and it was a total surprise.

You know how when passengers are late from Port, or don't show up to muster they page them? I wonder if you could get the ship to page them. If you are with them they could page grandma xxxx and grandpa xxxx. Or you could get them paged to a location where you are waiting with something special. A shirt I guess..., but gifts with "grandparent gear" is the way I'd go. Something you know the child will do with their grandparents. Blue and pink fishing lures, a cookie baking apron (personalized of course), Blue and pink golf balls, knitting needles and blue and pink yarn. Whatever makes sense for you. Something small, but meaningful.

It is extremely likely that they will page a passenger because another passenger wants to tell them something, special or not. If they did it for them what about the other 2500-3500 passengers that are celebrating something? Hey, if Bob is listening, Mary wants to tell him that she loves him. Joe, did you know that your daughter is getting married. Mary, good news I got promoted. One person's good news is just that - theirs. I don't care if someone I've never met before is pregnant, got a job promotion, retired or is getting married. Please don't subject us to constant announcements that only one or two people even care about.

As well, you would have to make sure the parents were somewhere where they could hear the announcement AND make sure they were actually listening. What if one had to go to the bathroom right then. Are you going to tell them "no". On top of that if you aren't expecting to hear yourself called grandma then they might not pick up on it anyway.

We met our son and daughter in law for dinner just after they returned fro holidays. I was a little bemused when they handed me a children's book. - until I looked at the front page and read. - " I know you are really good at reading stories, and I'm looking forward to you reading this book with me. Your coming grandchild"

So, our grandson is now 8 months old, and we are enjoying reading to him.

A book would be easy to pack, will give years of enjoyment and Hopefully start baby on the way to loving to read.

We met our son and daughter in law for dinner just after they returned fro holidays. I was a little bemused when they handed me a children's book. - until I looked at the front page and read. - " I know you are really good at reading stories, and I'm looking forward to you reading this book with me. Your coming grandchild"

Wow! I got goosebumps just reading your account!

So, our grandson is now 8 months old, and we are enjoying reading to him.

A book would be easy to pack, will give years of enjoyment and Hopefully start baby on the way to loving to read.

When my niece became pregnant , thus making my mom a Great grandmother for the 1st time . My sister and niece called her and arranged a "girls day out" They planned on getting manicures and then going out for lunch where they would tell her the news.

At lunch, my sister started to say "So mom". My mother , who I truly believe was the inspiration for Sophia on "The Golden Girls" shot right back "Amanda's pregnant "

Shocked my sister and niece said "How did you know ?" My mother said "When the hell do the two of you ever take me to get my nails done and out to lunch?" "If it was bad news you would just come over , tell me to sit down and lay it on me." *LOL*