Pregnancy announcement while on family cruise?

emiliebee

Hi everyone!

I just found out I am pregnant, and will be 8 weeks along when my husband and I embark on a cruise on the Coral Princess with my parents and his father next month. We planned the trip with our parents before I found out I was pregnant, and we want to use the good timing to our advantage as a way to announce to our parents that they will soon be grandparents!

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I could surprise them? I will definitely need to tell them on the first day, or they will catch on when I am not drinking or going in the hot tub! I was thinking of doing something at dinner... do you think the princess dining staff could help me carry out a surprise? Maybe writing "grandpa and grandma" in chocolate on the dessert plates or something else that's creative? I would love any other suggestions anyone might have for creative ways to break the news! :)

My niece did exactly the opposite on a familty cruise. She did not tell anyone until after the cruise was over (only her husband knew). She wanted to enjoy the cruise and the time with family without anyone making a big fuss.

Even though she didn't drink anything (and she usually would have had wine with dinner), no one guessed. Her mother-in-law said later that she should have known from the nondrinking, but neither she nor any of the rest of us figured it out at the time.

It was a very enjoyable time together, and I know my nephew and niece are glad they didn't tell anyone until after the cruise.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

could you get a t-shirt made that says "cruisin' for 2" and wear it the first day?

You can also have something sent to their room for embarkation, strawberries, cheese tray, flowers and sign the card "from your grandchild"

Congratulations! Since we are on the same cruise, I hope we are in the dining room when you share your joyous news with your family.

If you want a special desert, you can go to the Cruise Personalizer and select an occasion that you will be celebrating and put in the first night. There will be a card in your cabin that you can take to the dining room. But I would slip down to the dining room early and talk to the assistant head waiter and ask if they can personalize it for you. Bet they would love to do that!

Oh man, if only the stateroom attendants could make "towel animals" that looked like a baby for their cabin(s). That would be cool.

I like the dessert plate idea. Congrats!

Congratulations! Since we are on the same cruise, I hope we are in the dining room when you share your joyous news with your family.

If you want a special desert, you can go to the Cruise Personalizer and select an occasion that you will be celebrating and put in the first night. There will be a card in your cabin that you can take to the dining room. But I would slip down to the dining room early and talk to the assistant head waiter and ask if they can personalize it for you. Bet they would love to do that!

The waiters seem to get a big kick out of singing when the dessert is presented. "Happy Pregnancy to you" would be a riot.

as a new grandfather for the first time, i can think of NO better way to announce it than while on a cruise. That moment will create life long memories for everyone. Best wishes to all your family.

I know it is often used tactic, but the ultrasound picture in a small picture frame for each of grandparents ….with a caption "meet your new grand baby" is pretty powerful stuff….a picture is worth a 1000 words.

My niece asked all of the family to pose for a group picture this past Christmas

while she used a tripod and timer. After we were all in place she said we're pregnant instead of cheese. She captured the excitement of the moment on camera. [emoji1] congratulations.

Edited by Mom33

Congratulations on your wonderful news. I am more in agreement with the poster whose relatives waited until later on in the pregnancy. 8weeks is very early indeed, and usual advice is to wait until after the twelfth week. You may find you will have to tell your parents, not only to explain your sudden avoidance of alcohol, soft cheeses and some seafoods ( make sure you have an up to date list!) but the distinct possibility you may be feeling queasy ( although you could blame that on seasickness!)

Also, in the unlikely event that all does not go to plan, I am sure you would not want to have to explain or discuss this with hundreds of concerned strangers, so I would keep any announcements of your pregnancy strictly within your family group.

Don't worry, once you have passed the first three months, you will be past the sickly stage, hopefully feeling fantastic and ready to celebrate with confidence.

Hope you have a lovely cruise. As a grandparent myself,I know your parents will be over the moon and likely to spoil you rotten!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

could you get a t-shirt made that says "cruisin' for 2" and wear it the first day?

You can also have something sent to their room for embarkation, strawberries, cheese tray, flowers and sign the card "from your grandchild"

Or else have shirts made for the rest of your party that say "future grandparent" which you give them at some point in the cruise.

DON

How exciting!!! Congratulations! Maybe get some of the little baby rattles they use to decorate cakes with. Give them to the waiter on the sly and ask them to place them in front of them.

This is a joyful occasion, enjoy!!!

It's a personal decision, but I'd be comfortable announcing after an ultrasound documenting the heartbeat (that happens at 7 weeks around here). I had planned to announce to my husband by giving him a little baby Eagles jersey, but I started bleeding and panicked. Thankfully, everything was fine and the baby is a very happy and healthy 5 year old. Maybe bring a Grandma loves me onesie and leave it on their plates at dinner? I also really liked the photo idea someone posted above.

Go to your cruise personaliser and fill in the special occasion part. You usually get a nice cake, then when you see a head waiter at your table have a word with him/her as to any wording you would like piped on it. Congratulations !.:)

The nice cake is about 4 inches in diameter. Not much space to write a message. Need to have the message on the plate.

980912280912CSGbirthdaycakeindiningroomDSC01225_zpsb3ba3dc6.jpg