Avoiding Sea Days by Getting off the Ship and Rejoining Later

leongcpa

I looked at the Celebrity cruises that did this, but the timing of their cruises didn't work for us. I'm pretty much settled on DIY. We'll get out to Fiordland NP as a day trip or overnight out of Queenstown...

What no one has mentioned, in addition to having to have Customs and Immigration specially clear you if you when you return (at cost to the line), each time you "missed" the ship or rejoined the ship would require a new passenger manifest to be submitted to Customs and Immigration with attendant taxes and fees to the line. There is no way the line would allow this.

On the Sapphire Princess in December 2004, several couples disembarked the ship in Auckland with the intention of traveling by land down the North Island and rejoining the ship in Wellington, its last port before the end of the cruise in Sydney. The ship was unable to go to Wellington due to weather and these people all had to fly to Sydney and collect their luggage. I don't know if they boarded the ship on disembarkation day morning and packed up their cabins themselves or if it was done for them and their luggage placed in the terminal.

It can be done but there are inherent risks.

I love sea days. Nothing to do but relax, read, eat, drink, maybe catch some trivia, have a drink, relax, read, eat, have a drink... :D

We try to book cruises where there's lots of sea days - like to Hawaii and Panama Canal. We may not get off the ship on our upcoming cruise to Panama Canal until we reach San Pedro.

I love sea days. Nothing to do but relax, read, eat, drink, maybe catch some trivia, have a drink, relax, read, eat, have a drink... :D

That is also our main purpose in cruising. Ports secondary. We like to laze around, get pampered, and own our time. We loved our Hawaii cruise due to long sea days.