Duty-Free Liquor

imgurahl

Apologize if this is somewhere else already.

Carnival's website for duty-free allowance states that the Duty-Free Allowance for alcohol is 5 L per person. Then it has a note saying that 1L must be a product of the US Virgin islands if St. Thomas is on the itinerary.

So, I can't just get a bottle of rum in Puerto Rico?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by imgurahl

Apologize if this is somewhere else already.

Carnival's website for duty-free allowance states that the Duty-Free Allowance for alcohol is 5 L per person. Then it has a note saying that 1L must be a product of the US Virgin islands if St. Thomas is on the itinerary.

So, I can't just get a bottle of rum in Puerto Rico?

Here is some information that will help you. It all depends where you are going and what you purchase.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-(including-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

It usually depends on the officer working at the customs desk....I have had 27 bottles declared and a "have a nice day" and then once I had 14 bottles and was taken to a secondary location to pay 8 dollars in taxes but i'm sure 1-3 bottles per person should not be an issue.

Don't forget Carnival's policy of having to go down and pick up your booze the morning of debarkation. It's no longer delivered to your room the night before. And if you're flying that means having to open up your suitcase to repack it in the airport. Not an issue for some, but a deal breaker for me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Don't forget Carnival's policy of having to go down and pick up your booze the morning of debarkation. It's no longer delivered to your room the night before. And if you're flying that means having to open up your suitcase to repack it in the airport. Not an issue for some, but a deal breaker for me.

Good point. Wondering how this new policy is impacting sales of licquor.

Want to buy a couple of bottles of Sherridans on next cruise but dont want to be bothered with having to go pick them up.

Want to buy a couple of bottles of Sherridans on next cruise but dont want to be bothered with having to go pick them up.

I generally buy a couple bottles of Absolut for my stepdad and a bottle of whiskey for the house on every cruise I go on. Dont really want to have to deal with going and getting it the morning we disembark though :(

So strange that Carnival allows people to pre purchase liquor before they board the ship but wont give you your duty free liquor on the last night :confused:

Edited by ryano

I'm sure it's affected them but I doubt Carnival will ever admit it. Instead they'll say the lines aren't long and not to let the policy deter you from buying. When in reality it's because less people are doing it thus the lack of waiting.

I always take early flights so there's no way I'm going to purchase alcohol on board knowing I have to go stand in line and then rearrange my suitcase in the madness of the airport. Just isn't happening.

Good to know, thanks. Since this may be my only getaway for the next 14 years, definitely want to bring home some Caribbean firewater.

No one has had an issue buying PR rum without buying St. Thomas rum?

I don't know if this helps anyone's decision or not but last week on our cruise I had to go down and get our liquor. It only took less than 5 minutes to sign the paper and pick it up. It wasn't that much of an inconvenience for me. But we weren't flying anywhere. I went down to get it before we had to leave our stateroom. then went back to the room and put it in our bags we were carrying off.

I don't know if this helps anyone's decision or not but last week on our cruise I had to go down and get our liquor. It only took less than 5 minutes to sign the paper and pick it up. It wasn't that much of an inconvenience for me. But we weren't flying anywhere. I went down to get it before we had to leave our stateroom. then went back to the room and put it in our bags we were carrying off.

I was gonna ask this exact question. We are heading to Jamaica and Grand Cayman in June. I plan on picking up some rums that we can't get in the US... So I will pick mine up and bring it back tot he room and then carry our bag off the ship. Thanks

I generally buy a couple bottles of Absolut for my stepdad and a bottle of whiskey for the house on every cruise I go on. Dont really want to have to deal with going and getting it the morning we disembark though :(

So strange that Carnival allows people to pre purchase liquor before they board the ship but wont give you your duty free liquor on the last night :confused:

The bottle that I just bought for our cabin cost us $85, the one that I buy in duty free costs $10. Not strange at all.

Edited by sparks1093

For us, picking them up was a breeze, took about 2 minutes. I believe there was about a 3 hour window for pick up.

The was rumour going around some passengers and possibly minors in the cabin decided to sample the booze after it was delivered. The policy was changed shortly after that.

The bottle that I just bought for our cabin cost us $85, the one that I buy in duty free costs $10. Not strange at all.

I remember being able to pre purchase liquor through "Bon Voyage" 8 years ago on my first cruise on Carnival. I also remember my duty free bottle of tequila being delivered on the last night to my cabin though. Its pretty strange to me how they do it now.

Edited by ryano

The was rumour going around some passengers and possibly minors in the cabin decided to sample the booze after it was delivered. The policy was changed shortly after that.

OK but they allow liquor you purchase from bon voyage for say $ 60 per bottle to stay in your cabin all week but the stuff you pay a more reasonable price for you cant get.

Sorry dont buy that one at all.

If you buy the stuff from Carnival in their on board duty free shop I can see where it might be construed as "nice" for them to deliver the booze to your cabin the last night. But I don't see where Carnival should have to deliver all the booze purchased in ports....they get nothing monetarily from those sales. I am sure Carnival thought this new procedure through pretty thoroughly and the amount of man power needed to deliver all the goods must have not warranted the money "they made". I'm not a Carnival cheerleader but I can fully understand the new practice....besides I'd rather the "staff" was taking care of my needs the last night instead of being delivery guys. But then, I'm never in a hurry to get off the ship the last day......I want my vacation to last as long as possible.

If you buy the stuff from Carnival in their on board duty free shop I can see where it might be construed as "nice" for them to deliver the booze to your cabin the last night. But I don't see where Carnival should have to deliver all the booze purchased in ports....they get nothing monetarily from those sales. I am sure Carnival thought this new procedure through pretty thoroughly and the amount of man power needed to deliver all the goods must have not warranted the money "they made". I'm not a Carnival cheerleader but I can fully understand the new practice....besides I'd rather the "staff" was taking care of my needs the last night instead of being delivery guys. But then, I'm never in a hurry to get off the ship the last day......I want my vacation to last as long as possible.

They do get kickbacks from the alcohol (and other) sales in port and they encourage you to buy from their "recommended" stores. I sat through a Shopping show thing a few cruises ago. Oh and don't forget the ports that Carnival owns/runs. They are making a pretty penny and it's not just from onboard sales.

Perhaps if it's truly a "manpower" issue as you claim, they should allow passengers to pick up their purchases the night before then instead of in the morning. Unless of course they're worried about people drinking it, therefore, cutting into their profit margin on the last night.

I remember being able to pre purchase liquor through "Bon Voyage" 8 years ago on my first cruise on Carnival. I also remember my duty free bottle of tequila being delivered on the last night to my cabin though. Its pretty strange to me how they do it now.

You can still purchase liquor through Bon Voyage for consumption in your cabin. Instead of getting the duty free the night before you get it the morning. Probably don't want to have the staff delivering all of the liquor.

OK but they allow liquor you purchase from bon voyage for say $ 60 per bottle to stay in your cabin all week but the stuff you pay a more reasonable price for you cant get.

Sorry dont buy that one at all.

They allow Bon voyage liquor because they sell at an inflated rate solely for the purpose of consumption in the room. Duty free liquor is exactly that, like buying it an airport as you travel home. I agree that it sucks but Carnival is making money.

Good to know, thanks. Since this may be my only getaway for the next 14 years, definitely want to bring home some Caribbean firewater.

No one has had an issue buying PR rum without buying St. Thomas rum?

I take it you are doing an Eastern Caribbean itinerary (San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, etc.)? If so, the big difference is the stop in the US Virgin Islands.

Normally, the allowance is 1 liter of alcohol and $800 merchandise duty free. However, if your cruise stops in the USVI, the allowances are raised to 5 liters of alcohol and $1600 merchandise. You can bring back an additional liter as long as at least one liter you purchase is made in the USVI.

My recommendation is to pick up a bottle of Bones rum in St. Thomas. It's not sold in the US mainland, the price isn't bad and it's VERY good rum. My wife and I did that itinerary in 2013 and we brought back a total of 14 liters and they didn't even look at us twice.

Personally we stopped buying the duty free as we sail from Galveston, and it makes no sense to me that we to have to pay taxes on it, when disembarking, how is that duty free?

But, I have a question for you. We have bought Sheridans several times in the past. Love, love it, while tasting on the ship. But, have always been disappointed after I get it home. Product doesn't seem to flow correctly from the 2 spouts. I end up having to block one side or the other off with my finger to get an even pour. Actually ends up just seeming to taste like Bailey's. My husband says it is the just that things seem to taste better away from home. He is referring to when we really like a bottle of wine when dining out. We jot down the name, buy it, and then it just doesn't seem to taste the same. Just wondered if this has happened to you?:)

I take it you are doing an Eastern Caribbean itinerary (San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, etc.)? If so, the big difference is the stop in the US Virgin Islands.

Normally, the allowance is 1 liter of alcohol and $800 merchandise duty free. However, if your cruise stops in the USVI, the allowances are raised to 5 liters of alcohol and $1600 merchandise. You can bring back an additional liter as long as at least one liter you purchase is made in the USVI.

My recommendation is to pick up a bottle of Bones rum in St. Thomas. It's not sold in the US mainland, the price isn't bad and it's VERY good rum. My wife and I did that itinerary in 2013 and we brought back a total of 14 liters and they didn't even look at us twice.

THANK YOU for the information and reccomendation! :)

But, I have a question for you. We have bought Sheridans several times in the past. Love, love it, while tasting on the ship. But, have always been disappointed after I get it home. Product doesn't seem to flow correctly from the 2 spouts. I end up having to block one side or the other off with my finger to get an even pour. Actually ends up just seeming to taste like Bailey's. My husband says it is the just that things seem to taste better away from home. He is referring to when we really like a bottle of wine when dining out. We jot down the name, buy it, and then it just doesn't seem to taste the same. Just wondered if this has happened to you?:)

It happens to me as well. On bottle we just finished we ran out of the dark side while the cream side was half full. Went to licquor tasting on last cruise and the salesman doing the pour had the same problem.

Just used the cream side for coffee to use it up.

The wine thing is interesting and we have found the same thing.:)