Worth it?

Celebrity summit is no substitute for a RCCL ship. Our teens didn't like it as all.

For last 5 years we have sailed out if a NYC. port and I have reconciled myself to a RCCL ship as that is what the kids like. I am considering flying to Florida this year as Anthem is so steep.

Looking to take my son on a 9 night cruise on the Anthem of the seas out of Bayonne NJ July 2017 for his high school graduation. For a family of 3 in a balcony cabin it would cost me about $6500.00! I'm thinking that's a whole lot of money. Would anyone pay that or am I the only one who thinks its a lot?

I'd pay it for a suite. NOT a balcony. not even a New build like Anthem

I would suggest pricing up 2 rooms as maybe your child will want to bring someone and then price will be close to the same for 3 people as 4 as I find Royal charges quite a bit for then 3rd person.

What about a different month? The week after Thanksgiving should be about 30-40% less and, assuming he's in college, he will likely have that week off. Same goes for the week before Christmas. Seas will be a little choppier, but not much.

I would find a less expensive trip and put the remaining money into Apple stock or a certificate of deposit for my child. While interest rates are not great, they are better than no interest and it sets an example of saving money, something far too parents teach their children.

Looking to take my son on a 9 night cruise on the Anthem of the seas out of Bayonne NJ July 2017 for his high school graduation. For a family of 3 in a balcony cabin it would cost me about $6500.00! I'm thinking that's a whole lot of money. Would anyone pay that or am I the only one who thinks its a lot?

Too expensive. I have a balcony on deck 7 in June and only paid $3000. I originally paid $3500 but got a $500 price reduction after booking before final payment.

Sounds like a lot to me. I thought I saw sale for 3rd and 4th guest free. For that money you could pay the airfare and parking to get to Florida or even west for an Alaskan cruise that should be much cheaper. The new ship is always more expensive and maybe that sale is for that ship either. There are plenty of nice ships in other locations.

I agree. We are <2 hours from Bayonne. In March 2013 we booked one of the first US-based cruises for QoS (4th I think, in Dec. of 2014). Lots of fun leading up to it, lots of excitement; however, it's quite a bit more money to sail out of NY/NJ than Florida. I'd definitely recommend looking at Allure/Oasis/Harmony out of Miami (or Freedom class out of FLL). Get the benefit of looking at both MIA and FLL for flights, cruise will be a lot cheaper, and you'll probably find (like we did) that the cost of driving to NJ + parking was about a wash compared to flying to FL and paying for a hotel the night before.

Greetings!

I just did a quick scan of cruises for July 2017 and I must say Royal Caribbean was the most expensive except for Disney. Would you consider another line.? Carnival has 6 - 9 day cruises A LOT cheaper. The three new ships, Magic, Breeze and Dream are really very nice. Just a thought. Hope you find one that pleases you both in price and amenities.

I would find a less expensive trip and put the remaining money into Apple stock or a certificate of deposit for my child. While interest rates are not great, they are better than no interest and it sets an example of saving money, something far too parents teach their children.

Excellent advice IMO.

You guys are missing the point. It is easy to sail from Jersey and there are lots and lots of people who want to sail from there because heck about 50 million people live within a few hours drive. Flying to Florida, etc. Costs a few hundred or more for coach per person, a night in a hotel before the cruise a couple of hundred. The ship being right there, you save money. Everyone can do the math.... And that is all it is, O, and that it is a state of the art ship, where as the Rhapsody someone mentioned was never state of the art, but it was new 20 years ago....

Just Sayin.

JC

You guys are missing the point. It is easy to sail from Jersey and there are lots and lots of people who want to sail from there because heck about 50 million people live within a few hours drive. Flying to Florida, etc. Costs a few hundred or more for coach per person, a night in a hotel before the cruise a couple of hundred. The ship being right there, you save money. Everyone can do the math.... And that is all it is, O, and that it is a state of the art ship, where as the Rhapsody someone mentioned was never state of the art, but it was new 20 years ago....

Just Sayin.

JC

FWIW, I've done the math and for the past few years it has been cheaper for 4 of us to fly to Florida, stay a few days and then take a 7 day cruise on a Freedom-class ship than it would have been to simple drive to Bayonne and cruise. There are pros and cons both ways but from a financial standpoint fly/cruise won out.

FWIW, I've done the math and for the past few years it has been cheaper for 4 of us to fly to Florida, stay a few days and then take a 7 day cruise on a Freedom-class ship than it would have been to simple drive to Bayonne and cruise. There are pros and cons both ways but from a financial standpoint fly/cruise won out.

Not to mention being warm from the first to last day of your vacation.:)

If you can afford it, I'd say go on Anthem. We did spring break on Anthem and loved everything about that ship. There are so many cool things for a HS/Collage age kid to do - IFly, Flowrider, bumper cars, roller skating, rock wall, Puzzle Break room, etc. Heck, on land IFly costs $77 for two 1 minute flights.

When we docked in Port Canaveral, we went to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon for a day. We loved it! Great water slides and an awesome wave pool. We used our Nassau day to enjoy the ship (flew IFly a few times that day).

We've sailed on many RCCL ships (Allure, Freedom, Liberty, Grandeur, Sovereign, Majesty, Monarch, Nordic Empress, Anthem...I'm sure there are others I can't recall right now), and Anthem is in our top 3 for sure! She has so much to offer. Plus, not having to fly is a big bonus. A short 1.5 hour drive for us. Parking is easy and embarkation/debarkation is smooth.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

What about a different month? The week after Thanksgiving should be about 30-40% less and, assuming he's in college, he will likely have that week off. Same goes for the week before Christmas. Seas will be a little choppier, but not much.

I don't know what college your student might go to but the only days around Thanksgiving my two get off are Wed - Fri of that week and this is at two different colleges.

we're kind of in the same boat, so to speak, this summer. My youngest graduates HS so we have looked at all the calendars for both colleges and when everyone has to be there in August, so we are limited to starting after June 15th due to graduation and parties. Then we would need to be back no later than Aug 10th due to when he's expected for orientation.

The later June weeks are slightly cheaper than the July dates. I'm not sure what cabin category you looked at but you could consider moving down a category.

I'm with you on leaving from the NY/NJ area because it is much easier to deal with than going to FL.

The options I've considered are:

Anthem & sucking up the price tag for the 9 night

I'm not sure if they are doing the shorter Bermuda cruises in 2017 but that would be an option

Summit - with your son graduating he's a little older so does he need the flow-rider etc? Look at the amenities on that ship and see if you would like it.

Breakaway - I did the ship in March, it's lovely and huge. No flow-rider but water slides. We had a nice time, but we can on any cruise.

Not sure if there are any Princess options out of Brooklyn or if those start later in the summer, but that might be an option along with Carnival.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time and best of luck to your son.