Worth it?

Looking to take my son on a 9 night cruise on the Anthem of the seas out of Bayonne NJ July 2017 for his high school graduation. For a family of 3 in a balcony cabin it would cost me about $6500.00! I'm thinking that's a whole lot of money. Would anyone pay that or am I the only one who thinks its a lot?

Looking to take my son on a 9 night cruise on the Anthem of the seas out of Bayonne NJ July 2017 for his high school graduation. For a family of 3 in a balcony cabin it would cost me about $6500.00! I'm thinking that's a whole lot of money. Would anyone pay that or am I the only one who thinks its a lot?

Yea, I wouldn't pay that. It comes out to roughly $241 per person per day.

I noticed the Anthem prices have gone up. Also July is prime vacation time so prices will be higher.

Sounds like a lot to me. I thought I saw sale for 3rd and 4th guest free. For that money you could pay the airfare and parking to get to Florida or even west for an Alaskan cruise that should be much cheaper. The new ship is always more expensive and maybe that sale is for that ship either. There are plenty of nice ships in other locations.

Too much for me!:eek:

Only you can decide if it is worth it. That is more than I would be willing to spend. I would look for a week we could swing which was less expensive or a less expensive sailing out of Florida with inexpensive airfare to go with it. Or interior rooms.

Or all of the above.

But I am not you. I do not know your budget, how you feel about flying, how limited you are for vacation weeks, etc.

If it was a GS or above at $240 pp for 9 nights, we would take it, would even consider a JS at that price for 9 nights.

With these you would get Sky or Sea class concierge perks which would add to the special occasion.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide :)

Lol thanks everyone it is a hard decision as it is a huge milestone in my sons life. I was just looking at all inclusive resorts for a week and it is half the price I'm not sure if I can justify paying that much money. Decisions decisions

Lol thanks everyone it is a hard decision as it is a huge milestone in my sons life. I was just looking at all inclusive resorts for a week and it is half the price I'm not sure if I can justify paying that much money. Decisions decisions

Can you wait a while to book? Prices may come down.

Have you looked at other ships, such as Liberty out of Galveston, Adventure out of San Juan, Oasis out of Port Canaveral, Harmony/Allure out of Ft. Lauderdale?

Book it, the way I see it, you're fairly local to Cape liberty, you would add $1500 - $2000 to add airfare, lodging, etc. to go out of FL, SJ or TX and you would only get 7 nights. Your underlying problem is travelling in July, but you seem tied to that

Id book the AI - however read very closely - not all AI's are created equal

Holy Moly! I mean i know it has all the bells and whistles and all but why not come down to Baltimore (very easy port to embark etc) and do a 7 day cruise for your family for probably half that. Grandeur of the Seas is an older ship that has been refurb'd and is still a fun little ship with a great crew. You will not be disappointed i Promise! I have done it many times and i live 15 minutes from the port. IT'S SUPER EASY! Check in and you are on the ship within 15 minutes!

I do not cruise on the newer ships do to cost, rather go for a suite on a older one, since you live in NJ I would look at other RCCL or Celebrity cruise out of there

Anthem is the only Royal ship out of NJ - Celebrity has the Summit to Bermuda - may be too stuffy for a HS grad.

I'd book a 4-5 star all-inclusive instead. 5 years from now you'll remember the time you spent together more than a robot that made gin and tonics or a crane-thingy that lifted you another 100' higher over a ship. Just my 2 cents.

I made the same mistake about telling my kids that maybe we'd do Anthem to celebrate their college/high school/elementary school graduations in 2018. I even said maybe we'll do the one that stops in Port Canaveral so we could go to the Harry Potter world in Universal. This is before I realized it would only be a half day in Port Canaveral and that excursion for my family of 5 would cost minimum of $1000...or like $200/ride! Basically a week's cruise on Anthem for 5 would end up costing WAY more than my husband's and my 12-day anniversary cruise to the Mediterranean, including airfare to Barcelona and 8 (x 2 people) of RCI's most expensive excursions in Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.! Yikes! It's really insane! I mean, I guess they're still paying off building the boat and it has all of the bells and whistles, but twice as much as a smaller boat?! Come on! Makes me wish Explorer was back in NJ...although the kids would love the flowrider and all of the other fun things on Anthem. I guess that's what we'd be paying for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

Wow way to much I'm getting 9 nights on grandeur I know by far not the same flights from Ireland and 4 nights in New York for that price

I took DD on the Grandeur for her 18th bday and graduation for less than $3000 in an aft JS (10 day sailing), but this was in late March. Talk to current seniors in the HS to see how much they could miss this time of the year next year and maybe move the trip up to around spring break time (on either Anthem, Grandeur or anything else) - moving it out of the high season will lower the cost.

Anthem is the only Royal ship out of NJ - Celebrity has the Summit to Bermuda - may be too stuffy for a HS grad.

I switch to Summit to Bermuda last year. I liked the island but it was definitely the wrong ship for my teen, who was used to Royal's awesome program.