First and Last Cruise....

ThatGirlKay

Hey people!

My mother has a degenerative eye disease, she is young, only 55, but is slowly loosing her eye sight. She doesn't treat herself, and she has a lot of things on her "bucket list" she wants to cross off, so I am taking her on a cruise before she can't see the world anymore. Anyhow, my guess is that unless I am the one that takes her on an additional cruise, this will be her first and last one. I chose Royal Caribbean, the 6 night cruise on 1/29/17 on Freedom of the Seas, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale FL through western caribbean. It's stopping georgetown, cozumel, and puerto costa maya.

I got us a Junior Suite, and the Ultimate Beverage packages. I want her first (and probably last) cruise to be the best ever. Just for reference I am her 32 year old daughter, and it will just be the two of us.

My question is for seasoned cruisers, who have had very good expensive cruises, and have been on budgets and gone on bargain cruises as well...

I want my mom to have the best experience ever, since this will probably be her only cruise. What can I do to make that happen? Junior suite was the most $$ room I could afford. What sort of things should we do onboard? What things should we avoid and are time wasters? What are the best excursions for people who aren't that into swimming (but love laying in the sun)? My mom's only physical limitation is that she has no peripheral vision, but other than that she can keep up with anyone.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any feedback!

-Kay

Edited by ThatGirlKay

Hey people!

My mother has a degenerative eye disease, she is young, only 55, but is slowly loosing her eye sight. She doesn't treat herself, and she has a lot of things on her "bucket list" she wants to cross off, so I am taking her on a cruise before she can't see the world anymore. Anyhow, my guess is that unless I am the one that takes her on an additional cruise, this will be her first and last one. I chose the 6 night cruise on 1/29/17 on Freedom of the Seas, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale FL through western caribbean. It's stopping georgetown, cozumel, and puerto costa maya.

I got us a Junior Suite, and the Ultimate Beverage packages. I want her first (and probably last) cruise to be the best ever. Just for reference I am her 32 year old daughter, and it will just be the two of us.

My question is for seasoned cruisers, who have had very good expensive cruises, and have been on budgets and gone on bargain cruises as well...

I want my mom to have the best experience ever, since this will probably be her only cruise. What can I do to make that happen? Junior suite was the most $$ room I could afford. What sort of things should we do onboard? What things should we avoid and are time wasters? What are the best excursions for people who aren't that into swimming (but love laying in the sun)? My mom's only physical limitation is that she has no peripheral vision, but other than that she can keep up with anyone.

-Kay

What a nice thing to do for your mom Kay.:)

I would also post this on the Royal Caribbean forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Folks there can give you lots of ideas on what might be fun for you and your mom to do onboard.

I hope you both have a great cruise.

Edited by clarea

Hey people!

My mother has a degenerative eye disease, she is young, only 55, but is slowly loosing her eye sight. She doesn't treat herself, and she has a lot of things on her "bucket list" she wants to cross off, so I am taking her on a cruise before she can't see the world anymore. Anyhow, my guess is that unless I am the one that takes her on an additional cruise, this will be her first and last one. I chose Royal Caribbean, the 6 night cruise on 1/29/17 on Freedom of the Seas, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale FL through western caribbean. It's stopping georgetown, cozumel, and puerto costa maya.

-Kay

A suggestion for Costa Maya.....not much to do there and most of the beaches have a lot of seaweed in the water and on the beach. But, we went to Blue Kay a couple months ago while on a NCL ship and had the best day we've ever had at that port. Free chairs ( just buy some food or drink) beautiful beach and the best water I've seen in Costa Maya. It was a $2.00, yes $2.00!! cab ride from the port. Minutes away so you can stay all day and leave minimal time to get back. You can even see the ship from the beach. You'll love a Jr suite, nice size room, big bathroom and closet. Don't miss the shows, especially the ice show. Take her to Chops for dinner one night and/or Giovanni's. I was on the sister ship Independence last month so any questions just ask me.

Hey people!

-Kay

You will enjoy your cruise because you will be with your mother and she with you. Everything you do will be good and memorable. Taking a walk onboard the deck at night while listening to the waves. Watching the shows along with the sunsets. None of these will cost money. When at shore take a tour of the Islands by land or Sea. Let her SEE different things...a botanical garden tour....many of the Islands have spice farms. She will remember the sights and smells. My father was blind the last 10 yrs of his life. He taught me to enjoy touching things...leaves...materials etc. Stand by the railings and watch the different passengers as they play games around the pool...make up stories about their lives...use your imagination...in years to come you can continue expanding on the stories of these passengers...ie. I wonder how many children ( if any) that honeymoon couple has now...do you think our cabin steward ever went home and married his neighbor??/ In little ways you can have this cruise last a lifetime of memories. All in all, your a good daughter and helping your mom with her bucket list will be just a srewarding for you as it will be for her.:)

I don't see any reason why a non-sighted person can't enjoy cruises and vacations and traveling the world.

My recommendation for Costa Maya is to tour the Mayan ruins. Try The Native Choice, they are fantastic and much cheaper than going through the cruise line. I'm sure whatever you do, you'll have a wonderful time.

I don't see any reason why a non-sighted person can't enjoy cruises and vacations and traveling the world.

My recommendation for Costa Maya is to tour the Mayan ruins. Try The Native Choice, they are fantastic and much cheaper than going through the cruise line. I'm sure whatever you do, you'll have a wonderful time.

Ditto this. The Native Choice is great. Smaller groups (we had 8) with knowledgeable guides. Book early so you may tour the site before the busses from the ships arrive. We missed Georgetown, (big swells), but were going to go to Singray City. The water is only about 3 feet deep and from what I hear it is a don't miss. (so we booked another cruise for next year).

What a wonderful and thoughtful daughter you are. I wish you the best of weather and many happy memories.

I agree that the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya is a worthwhile excursion. We really enjoyed going there on our cruise a few years ago.

You might enjoy seeing the pictures my wife took and made into a slideshow for her website. Seeing pictures might help you in your decision making. The link below will take you there.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Excursion

You are an amazing daughter I must say! I attempted to do this same type of thing with my grandparents before my grandfather went into hospice and my grandmother well, instead of going on a life long trip to Italy she always wanted to, she booked my family on a cruise so her great grand-kids could see more of the world. :rolleyes:

I would agree with those who said the Mayan Ruins and Sting Ray City are almost must do's esp if you know there is little chance of ever going back.

OP I don't know how many cruises you have been on, but I do want to make a very strong suggestion to you. Do not book the excursions with the cruise line if you can help it. I understand your mothers issues, I have no vision in my right eye past a 30 degree angle in front of me. The cruise line groups can be a mass of people all in little tiny spaces on a time crunch wanting to be "first". Being in those conditions can be scary if you can't see what might be coming at you! Normally I have my DH or one of my DS's run as a "buffer"on my right side and never leave it because of that. Both sides and just one of you could be an issue.

The non-ship excursions are normally a little cheaper, but you can also get more expensive with it being a private tour of just you and your mom. The only thing I would caution is the Ruins tours are pretty long tours, and there is always a chance it might be longer than it should. With the cruise line you get protection with that, on your own you don't.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I also know someone, who sadly is only in her early 30's, who is also slowly going blind. I can't imagine how awful it must be to have to live every day knowing that you cannot avoid the inevitable. I think what you are doing for your mom is awesome.

With that being said, if your mom is not afraid of heights, I would highly recommend the Coba ruins excursion via Cozumel. It has one of the few pyramids that you can still climb up today. The view from the top is amazing. I will post a picture that I took from the top, but it really doesn't do it justice. When you are at the top, you truly feel like you can see for miles, and that you are standing on top of the world.

DSCF0406.jpg

You don't mention what sort of things your mom likes to do or what her tastes/interests are. Keeping that in mind, here are some thoughts.

As an experienced cruiser who likes to get the most from his dollar, here are a few thoughts.

1) Is Royal Carribean the right cruise line? Take a moment to read reviews and see. I've cruised Royal Carribean but now prefer the product offered by Celebrity.

2) Is the suite the best bang for your buck? There are many nice cabins available without needing the expense of a suite.

3) Do you need the expense of an Ulitimate Drink Package? Unless the package is provided as part of the cruise (Celebrity and sometimes Holland) I've never been able to justify the cost. Not having a package has never stopped me from having a latte or nice bottle of wine and it usually comes out to less $ than the package. Some of the threads on this site have calculators which can help you determine if there is value in the package.

4) Ask your mother what she would like to do on shore and consider a private guide so it's truly your "mothers" time and not one mixed with a bunch of stangers with different needs and priorities. You can go on the Ports of Call thread and see what others have done and get names/recommendations for tour guides.

Hey people!

-Kay

The Jr. Suite is nice to have.

Remember that room service is free, and it is so nice to have a delivery in the morning, coffee, pastries ...... whatever you want, and sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee in your PJs, looking out at the ocean, hearing the waves from the ship moving.

Oh, yeah, take thousands of pictures and some videos.

You don't mention what sort of things your mom likes to do or what her tastes/interests are. Keeping that in mind, here are some thoughts.

As an experienced cruiser who likes to get the most from his dollar, here are a few thoughts.

1) Is Royal Carribean the right cruise line? Take a moment to read reviews and see. I've cruised Royal Carribean but now prefer the product offered by Celebrity.

2) Is the suite the best bang for your buck? There are many nice cabins available without needing the expense of a suite.

3) Do you need the expense of an Ulitimate Drink Package? Unless the package is provided as part of the cruise (Celebrity and sometimes Holland) I've never been able to justify the cost. Not having a package has never stopped me from having a latte or nice bottle of wine and it usually comes out to less $ than the package. Some of the threads on this site have calculators which can help you determine if there is value in the package.

4) Ask your mother what she would like to do on shore and consider a private guide so it's truly your "mothers" time and not one mixed with a bunch of stangers with different needs and priorities. You can go on the Ports of Call thread and see what others have done and get names/recommendations for tour guides.

Those are excellent suggestions. If she can afford a suite, I think she should go ahead and do it, but I agree that the drink packages, at least the ones for alcoholic beverages, aren't always a deal. With the unlimited drink packages running at least $50 per person per day, and drinks running from $8-$12 each, you'd have to drink a LOT to make it pay. For some people, it's worth it, for others, no. However, if you are a soda drinker like my DH, the soda packages are well worth the money.

A beautiful thing you are doing with your mother.

You have received some advice on things to do, and why people enjoyed them. Now talk with you mom about different things that you can see and do, to get an idea of what she is the most interested in.

She may be happy just having time on the beach with you. Maybe the suggestions of Costa Maya sounds great, or maybe the Mayan ruins sound interesting to her.

The Jr. suite is great. Enjoy the drink package, it takes care of water and smoothies too, it's not just about alcohol.

The suggestion I will make is it doesn't have to be busy for her to have a wonderful time with you. It's all about your bond with your mom.

Have a wonderful time making lifelong memories.