Caribbean Princess still anchored in Houston

cru1

I just spoke with our friends who are boarding in FLL today. They are currently waiting in the terminal and have not been told when they will be able to board. They were given a bottle of water and a chocolate chip cookie, and were told that the ship must be brought to a zero count. The roughly 1800 passengers they were told who made the transit from Houston are currently disembarking. He thought they were moving very slowly! :D Our friends also said that a generator was blown during the transit and must be replaced. He said the large crane that shows on the FLL webcam behind the ship will be loading the new generator.

I did watch the ship come in at about 3PM on the webcam and Marine Traffic.

I'm pretty sure that generator has been out for months. That's why the departure from FLL was changed to 22:00 several weeks ago.

Maybe that is why they had a generator there to put into use. I was wondering how Princess managed to get one there so quickly.

Our friends were having trouble hearing announcements in the crowded, noisy terminal earlier. They are on board now, and in their room ready to enjoy the ship. I'm thinking they weren't aware of a later departure time, though. They had a rental car that needed to be turned in by 1:30 or 2 PM, and they wouldn't have done that if they knew departure was at 22:00. :confused: I don't know if they double checked their departure time that close to departure. :confused:

Just a small boat with flashing light moving nearby. Night lights near the port is a nice backdrop for CB. :)

Yeah, they've been out there for almost three hours now.

I can't stop watching :eek:

Seriously! We experienced that little technicality in Feb :o

In Jan, we were at Bayport at 7pm a day before debarkation to avoid anticipated fog. All bars did not serve alcohol then to avoid charging passengers the extra Houston alcohol tax.

Just an aside: when we saw our friends yesterday they mentioned alcohol while stuck for that extra 24 hours in Houston. Bars were open, but there was the additional tax. Nobody really cared.

CB currently on the way to Bermuda and I have a friend on the Pacific who is currently on the way to Bermuda. She says seas are very rough and ship is jumping all over the place. We will see her on Sunday.

I am always amazed to read that 40mph wind is regarded as high. Here in the South of England we often have 40 - 50 mph wind and we don't even notice it. People just get on with their lives and say 'its a bit blustery'. Today the wind is gusting at 30mph and to us it is an excellent day for hanging out the washing in the garden.

I am always amazed to read that 40mph wind is regarded as high. Here in the South of England we often have 40 - 50 mph wind and we don't even notice it. People just get on with their lives and say 'its a bit blustery'. Today the wind is gusting at 30mph and to us it is an excellent day for hanging out the washing in the garden.

Big difference of being on dry land vs at sea on board a floating tub. We sailed out of NYC on board the Caribbean Princess. Every time the bow crashed into the sea, the whole ship vibrated. The outside areas were off limits due to gust up to 70 mph with seas up averaging 18 feet.

Did it bother me. Not at all. The wife was a bit nervous. She bought a key chain that read "I survived the Bermuda Triangle." :D

Big difference of being on dry land vs at sea on board a floating tub

Vs. steering a 16-story hotel down a narrow channel that may allow only a few feet between your (thousands of) passengers and an oil (or even nastier stuff) tanker passing in the other direction.

That much area for the wind to push on, and that small a margin of safety, makes "blustery" something to respect. I don't know how they manage it with 24 mph winds!