Caribbean Princess still anchored in Houston

cru1

Will miss Princess in this part of the World. Hope they can find way back to Galveston. Sure loved sailing out of Bayport on Emerald Princess. Guess they made arrangements to get the passenger to Fort L. airports in Houston are both still closed.

Talk on board Princess was that they are planning on returning once Galveston finishes renovating and expanding their port to accommodate more cruise ships. And I am quoting "that is the rumor." Keep your fingers crossed.

Caribbean Princess is a copy of the first-generation Grand Class (Grand, Golden, and Star Princess)..........................hindsight there are a lot of anomalies that thankfully were fixed on the next ships delivered to Princess.

I muchly :) appreciate your comments. It was a much better job than I could put together. I guess the biggest complaint that I had was the area around the International Café was just too confined. The areas where the shops were and the walkways (hallways) were a bit more narrow than other ships we have been on. We only have about 160 days on ships, mostly NCL, CCL and RCCL but they just seem to be laid out "better". As was stated the Windjammer is on the back of the ship but you have to take 2 elevators to get to it. There were a few other things that could have been laid out more functionally. And of course this is my opinion only. We are in our mid 60's but aren't "dead" and I know that Princess, HAL, and the more luxury lines cater more to an older generation, but though we are older we still like to hang by the pool for the fun and games, go to the clubs and dance, things like that. On the CB cruise we were on it just seemed like the crowd was more "subdued" than we enjoy being with. So that could have been a part of our not liking the ship as well, but I would have had a hard time putting my finger on what fishywood stated, but couldn't agree more with the comments.

Just received this notice from Princess.

DELAYED EMBARKATION UPDATE

We are pleased to report that Caribbean Princess was able to depart Houston today at 2:00 PM local time. As a result, embarkation for your cruise in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 will now begin at 4:00 PM.

Guests with a Princess Cruise Plus hotel package or Princess transfer will receive embarkation details at their hotel or the airport. Guests with independent arrangements should not arrive at the pier prior to 4:00 PM as the terminal has limited seating. We will operate a progressive check-in schedule and ask that you arrive at your updated check-in time listed below.

4:00 PM - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins begin with A & L 4:30 PM - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabin begin with D & E 5:00 PM - Caribe & Fiesta Decks - Cabins begin with C & F 5:30 PM - Baja, Plaza & Riviera Decks - Cabins begin with B, P & R

PASSENGERS

We haven't been on the CB but the have been on the Golden, Crown and Emerald. The public spaces on Plaza, Fiesta and Promenade deck on the CB and the Golden are essentially identical after major drydocks in the late 2008/early 2009 time frame. The only real difference is the replacement of the Vista Lounge with Club Fusion which I believe was not a change for the better. I like the smaller, more intimate Wheelhouse Bar on the CB and I like the layout of Vines when compared to the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. I also like the "shopping cart handle" Skywalker's. The Cafe Caribe section of the Buffet was introduced on the CB. Unfortunately, the CB was the first Grand class ship to lose the covered pool, a feature that has not returned on later ships [emoji22]

Edited by IECalCruiser

Talk on board Princess was that they are planning on returning once Galveston finishes renovating and expanding their port to accommodate more cruise ships. And I am quoting "that is the rumor." Keep your fingers crossed.

This would be great. Galveston has a lot to offer both pre-cruise and/or post-cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :D

This schedule seems rather ambitious. According to the Harbor Master Report, the CB is scheduled to arrive at FLL at 22:22 on 4/20. That looks to be clearly six hours after Princess asks passengers to start arriving. I'll be curious to see how this all works out.

We recently completed our first trip on the CB. We have cruised several times on the Emerald, Grand and Royal previously. We enjoyed the layout of the Caribbean a great deal. Skywalker's Lounge was a real nice place to relax. I did think the Wheelhouse was a bit small and congested and it seemed strange to find the Crown Grill on deck six instead of on the Promenade.

Our main complaint would be the condition of the in general. She really needs the planned drydock and some paint and varnish. We love Princess and they usually do a great job of keeping up with the maintenance.

This schedule seems rather ambitious. According to the Harbor Master Report, the CB is scheduled to arrive at FLL at 22:22 on 4/20. That looks to be clearly six hours after Princess asks passengers to start arriving. I'll be curious to see how this all works out.

At 20 knots, she should arrive about 48 hours after departure, and with a good slingshot from the Gulf Stream that can be bettered. Marinetraffic, using the ship's AIS, states that arrival Ft. Lauderdale is 1800 UTC (1300 local) on the 20th. PEV harbor report shows CB arriving 1345 at sea buoy.

The one thing positive that I can see with embarking passengers tomorrow will be the lack of disembarking ones. That will make everything go much faster. Have a great TA sailing folks!

So the passengers that were boarded in Houston are not require to disembark and then re-embark? I did a 14-day Caribbean cruise once (also sold as two 7-day cruise), and on the 8th day when we returned to FLL, all of us needed to get off the ship, then embark again (though no check-in procedures was required).

So the passengers that were boarded in Houston are not require to disembark and then re-embark? I did a 14-day Caribbean cruise once (also sold as two 7-day cruise), and on the 8th day when we returned to FLL, all of us needed to get off the ship, then embark again (though no check-in procedures was required).

No, this is a case of "interporting" as is done frequently in Europe for Med cruises, where they sell cruises on the same ship with different embarkation ports (like Barcelona to Barcelona, and Rome to Rome) for the same cruise. Since the ship has not visited any foreign ports between Houston and FLL, there will be no customs or immigration, and there will be no need to "zero count" the ship.

No, this is a case of "interporting" as is done frequently in Europe for Med cruises, where they sell cruises on the same ship with different embarkation ports (like Barcelona to Barcelona, and Rome to Rome) for the same cruise. Since the ship has not visited any foreign ports between Houston and FLL, there will be no customs or immigration, and there will be no need to "zero count" the ship.

Thank you for the explanation. :)

I like how you explained it. Thanks.

I am meeting our friends in FLL tomorrow. The email I received from them this morning states that arrival is scheduled for 2:00 PM and intransit passengers need to be back on board by 9:00 PM.
From Marine Traffic this morning it looks like she should arriving close to 2:00PM. She has been flying past the Keys at around 24 knots.

From Marine Traffic this morning it looks like she should arriving close to 2:00PM. She has been flying past the Keys at around 24 knots.

Will be leaving home within next half hour, but received email a while ago that said ship would get in closer to 3:00. So, we will wait at Walgreen's. :)