Just back from KONINGSDAM Premier Voyage

TylerRose

By the end of our two weeks in Europe my DH shot over 3000 images!!! Eventually he will actually get caught back up at work enough to down load them!

I will leave the specific non people ship shots to others... and the travel scenes to google. TY for tolerating my "selfies".

Until our next voyage...

IMG_5583.jpg

Actual suite layout and our personal cruise style are a bit different now... so honestly I am not quite sure. Someone who actually measured will need to respond.

We are now empty nesters. We have always had a our son on the sofa... with a rollaway for our daughter pushed against it... with the foot of our bed against that. So, in spite of the extra space a suite offers... no amount of space requiring 2 teens inches apart is EVER spaced far enough apart.

SO... for me, a sofa with a coffee table surrounded by two chairs and then a fair amount of walking space before the bed seemed larger & I do think it was- but could easily be wrong.

What I am sure of- is the bathroom definitely is larger! There is a big tub and glassed in shower stall in the bathroom room with large double sinked vanity. It has entry through cabin door- as well as the toilet.

Toilet area has a door on both cabin side and bath side- and also has its own sink. I did not miss the dressing area at all.

Thank you for responding.

By the end of our two weeks in Europe my DH shot over 3000 images!!! Eventually he will actually get caught back up at work enough to down load them!

I will leave the specific non people ship shots to others... and the travel scenes to google. TY for tolerating my "selfies".

Until our next voyage...

IMG_5583.jpg

Many thanks for the wonderful review and stunning pictures. If I might ask, did you notice if the cabanas that face the magrodome have half glass walls?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Many thanks for the wonderful review and stunning pictures. If I might ask, did you notice if the cabanas that face the magrodome have half glass walls?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

I was also on this sailing.

None of the cabanas have an open railing area. They all had the half plexiglass walls.

I think they are going to be very warm inside. Did not seem to be much

airflow thru the area. Definitely not as much space as EDAM/ NADM in my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Scott only shot 3,000? Was he feeling ill during part of the trip? ;) (did he pick up a new twin while in Italy too!?)

And also, why even bother with pictures with such a small, low power camera [emoji23] obviously I kid. Thanks for sharing your take on everything

And also, why even bother with pictures with such a small, low power camera [emoji23] obviously I kid. Thanks for sharing your take on everything

You've seen a picture from him hat big lens captured, heck every living American has actually. A neat fact no one knows. :)

Scott only shot 3,000? Was he feeling ill during part of the trip? ;) (did he pick up a new twin while in Italy too!?)

I have been corrected...again. :o

He took over 6500 images with cannon camera & assorted lenses... and over 600 pics with his i-phone. You were correct- how naive of me to imagine 2 weeks with so little to share... (890 pics just on Amalfi coast!)

No, to the new "twin"... (we celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary- he does want to reach 29!)

He took many pics of ship on The Behind the Scenes Tour & I will try to post some at a later time if there is any interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that they only sell 30 passes to the Thermal Suite. Do you know if this is true? I also heard that there is a complimentary sauna in the men's and ladies locker rooms of the fitness center, correct?

I already checked and the cost for a single for the Thermal Suite is for my cruise is $199.00.

He took many pics of ship on The Behind the Scenes Tour & I will try to post some at a later time if there is any interest.

I'm also interested. Not many people can do a behind the scenes tour and the pictures are beautiful.

That's really a shame. We asked the very first day about doing a behind the scenes tour and they told us they weren't doing them as there were many parts of the ship that weren't ready yet. Doesn't surprise me. The front desk had to have been all new people. You never got the same answer twice. Anyway, done it on the Noordam but would have been nice to see.

On the question for the ship card to keep the lights on. I just use an old credit card whenever I travel. Drop it in and never think about it again. It worked like a charm.

Also we did receive an inaugural plate. Somebody said they didn't do it.

We know on our deck that they were still building rooms because one day we saw about 20 room stewards and staff carrying in the big screen TV's in boxes. We were told that these were for the rooms not completed yet.

We were on the Mozart deck 6.

I still have no new pics to upload... (DH is still playing catchup at work). I am glad there seem to be more than enough pics to view posted by others to explore for those who want to.

I have been hesitant to respond to posts or personal emails because of the current "K"isms being expressed on this board.

I am grateful for all of the info CC has shared with me through the years to help me plan my adventures...

BUT we seem to have reached some very heated topics where K is concerned and I have avoided further fueling the fire.

Reluctantly... here I am. AND ONLY... on behalf of those of you currently reaching out to me expressing your concerns.

The K introduces the newest class of HAL ships.

It has new things to experience... and partake or not partake in.

How you cruise, when, & where are ALL PERSONAL DECISIONS that we all must make.

Our voyage had a few blips... none of them were a big deal to US... BUT YES, they did bother others. And yes, HAL K crew were still finding their way. We ALL were. (This was the premier voyage!)

So, to those of you who are currently or planning to book on K who do like the new options it offers:

We are 4 star mariners now... K was absolutely our favorite ship & our favorite voyage in the past decade.

We enjoyed walking on its decks, our time relaxing in the Thermal Suite, and foods eaten. I loved the energy of the music walk & am happy HAL is creating more evening entertainment & dining venues.

We have cruised other lines with extended family gatherings &/or for specific itineraries offered. We prefer HAL... again- this is OUR preference.

We are counting down to our next K voyage! I hope yours will be as memorable as ours!

So, to those of you who are currently or planning to book on K who do like the new options it offers:

We are 4 star mariners now... K was absolutely our favorite ship & our favorite voyage in the past decade.

We enjoyed walking on its decks, our time relaxing in the Thermal Suite, and foods eaten. I loved the energy of the music walk & am happy HAL is creating more evening entertainment & dining venues.

We have cruised other lines with extended family gatherings &/or for specific itineraries offered. We prefer HAL... again- this is OUR preference.

We are counting down to our next K voyage! I hope yours will be as memorable as ours!

Take out the bit about the thermal suites and change 4 star to 3 star and I can easily say "my sentiments exactly"

Thanks TR, appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

No doubt the big K is causing debate on these threads.

Those of us soon to sail her are keen to hear feedback.

It is clear from early feedback of those who have sailed that overall she looks great and the entertainment and public spaces are a change and very interesting; it is also very apparent that there has been a lot of teething issues around service and functional matters, we can only hope they are temporary.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I remember when when I first joined CC which was during the Inaugural of the Zuiderdam. You would have thought the World was ending and HAL would Seize to exist. The Zuiderdam was my first HAL ship and the things we read prior to boarding scared us a bit but we loved it. That has been quite a few years ago and well over 30+ HAL cruises later.

I actually loved the Koningsdam. I liked the layout, the new entertainment. The promenade Deck does not bother me the least. I am actually glad there is still a totally walk around promenade. Some ships no longer have these. I admit the category of Signature Suite I loved on the Vista and Signature Class is no longer as appealing and the Vista Class cabins may or may not work for us but most likely will need to but ourselves up to Neptune.

My dis-pleasures had nothing to do with the Koningsdam itself but rather HAL in general and what I have seen the product turn into over the last 2 to 3 years. Although I am hearing some promise coming out of some of the other ships. There were several areas that HAL fell short that were serious and HAL has even admitted these things should never have happened.

I am returning to HAL in October in hopes that some of these things start to improve :o

Would I book Koningsdam again?.....YES, there are so many place and things I did not get that chance to see and do because it was so port intensive and 7 days was just not long enough. But based on what I have booked already and my wish list of a future cruise I want to take to Japan a return to the Koningsdam may not occur till at least the last part of 2018 or later:( Who knows by that time I may be looking at her sister ship :D

Would I book Koningsdam again?.....YES, there are so many place and things I did not get that chance to see and do because it was so port intensive and 7 days was just not long enough. But based on what I have booked already and my wish list of a future cruise I want to take to Japan a return to the Koningsdam may not occur till at least the last part of 2018 or later:( Who knows by that time I may be looking at her sister ship :D

Lisa - apologize up front if you have discussed in your review, do you have a list of "not miss things" for the K'dam? Or to ask another way, spend more time at those things?

dave

I have been corrected...again. :o

He took over 6500 images with cannon camera & assorted lenses... and over 600 pics with his i-phone. You were correct- how naive of me to imagine 2 weeks with so little to share... (890 pics just on Amalfi coast!)

No, to the new "twin"... (we celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary- he does want to reach 29!)

Would really like to see more pictures of your cruise. Thank you.