Is It Rude to Not Show Up in MDR on First Day???

OK, I'm a pretty seasoned cruiser...but I've never missed eating in the MDR on the first evening, if only to meet our tablemates. This year however, my hubby's birthday falls on the 1st sailing day. I'd like to reserve Sabor instead for a special dinner, since I've heard so many great things about it. Does it matter whether we show up in the MDR or not? On another note, will the Specialty restaurant service not be that great since it's the first night? Thoughts, please.

I don't think it's rude at all. We've had reasons to miss the MDR the first night before, such as sailaway or a speciaty restaurant. I try to drop by the MDR table and let the waiter know we won't be making it that night.

You are celebrating a birthday with your husband.

If your tablemates have a problem with that, well... I don't think it's your fault. Seems like a great reason to be someplace by yourselves.

I'd rather just be with my wife on either of our birthdays....

So I don't think it's rude at all.

I also do not think its rude, we always are there 1st night, but many people prefer specialty or even WJ on 1st night. On my last cruise we were at a large table and half the people was not there, if I know we will be doing a specialty the next day we will tell waiter and tablemates ( we had tablemates join us for a few specialty restaurants last year)

Not at all - remember many Diamond + get BOGO coupons for specialty dining that can only be used the 1st and/or 2nd night. (Diamond may as well, not sure.) So I think more and more people are skipping the first night to get that perk.

I'm with Wolfgang; I'm usually in the specialty restaurants on the first night; BOGO. Usually not very crowded either! This is your party.:D

As Bob I usually try to show up and let my waiters and tablemates know that they do not have to wait for us.

I also try to let them know when we don´t show up any other night.

Last year on the Allure we got a 2 for 1 offer for Chops Grille on the Royal Promenade after embarkation. Due to sail away and the time (same time as your MDR seating) we didn´t make it. We saw our tablemates the next night but none of the others (either we were dining in a specialty restaurant or they didn´t show up). But actually some nights on the Allure Western Med itinerary were long stays in port and half of the MDR was empty.

steamboats

You are celebrating a birthday with your husband.

If your tablemates have a problem with that, well... I don't think it's your fault. Seems like a great reason to be someplace by yourselves.

I'd rather just be with my wife on either of our birthdays....

So I don't think it's rude at all.

alfaeric, thanks and you're absolutely correct. I'm just a creature of habit I suppose, and always like to meet the other diners at my table. Guess I have to remember that we still have an entire week ahead of us, and there's plenty of time.

I don't think it's rude at all. We've had reasons to miss the MDR the first night before, such as sailaway or a speciaty restaurant. I try to drop by the MDR table and let the waiter know we won't be making it that night.

Think I'll do just that, Bob. Thanks. It's the least that I can do.

It's not rude to be absent but courtesy calls for letting others know not to expect you. That poses a dilemma on the first night but if possible you should let your tablemates, the waiter, or dining room manager know. When there's a scenic sailaway what I try to do is stop in early and meet my tablemates, get an entrée in the lido, and join the table later for coffee and desert.

Roy

From one who has had to wait for other diners on the first night, I will only say that you should celebrate as you choose, but please have the courtesy to inform your waiters, or the maître d', so they don't hold up the meal. Your tablemates will appreciate the effort. :)

Edited by LarryL

From one who has had to wait for other diners on the first night, I will only say that you should celebrate as you choose, but please have the courtesy to inform your waiters, or the maître d', so they don't hold up the meal. Your tablemates will appreciate the effort. :)

Sorry; not going to happen! You and I might but "most"will not.

It depends.

If you signed up for a table for the early or late seating, then it would be rude to make your table mates and waiters wait on you not showing up. Please be polite to everyone and show up or let them know. The reason we stopped with fixed seatings is because we were forced to wait on people of who may or may not show up.

If you signed up for MTD, then don't bother. That is what MTD is for.

In my opinion, it should be up to the ship's crew to manage records for who will/won't be in the MDR if they've booked a table in another restaurant. Different, obviously, if you're just going to turn up in the Windjammer (then it'd be nice to let the maitre d' know), but in this day and age, they should really be able to co-ordinate reservations between the different restaurants.