Adjustments for Improving Canadian Currency?

HAL Experts,

As far as I can determine HAL adjusted Canadian prices to reflect a 30% penalty for Canadians when our currency was between 40% and 45% lower than the US dollar in December.

Does any remember/know how frequently adjustments are made to reflect currency fluctuations?

We prefer to book in Canadian dollars.

For Americans, we're now trading at about $1.30 thru' local banks.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

It's always hard to predict when they will change the exchange rate. We were warned last fall from a HAL rep that they were changing from 1.20 to 1.30 soon after that time. With how poorly the CDN dollar is at this time I don't see them changing it. Once we rebound I'm sure they will adjust it again to make it fair for us.

If you check HAL'S website from Canada you will see CDN prices. You can check the US pricing on websites and do a conversion to see how close they are in CDN funds. I use "cruise fish" (which is all one word to see the US pricing).

Hope this helps!

Just checked the US and CAD pricing for our cruise in Dec on the K'dam. The CAD prices are 30% higher than the US prices. I think that the CAD dollar is going to have to improve a lot more before HAL changes those prices.

I seem to recall being told that the pricing is changed around 3 - 4 times per year unless things are really volatile.

I'll probably use the wrong financial term, but HAL buys "futures" or "hedges" their bets so they don't lose when the Canadian dollar fluctuates. It can work in your favour when booking in Canadian dollars depending upon where the $ is (and where it is going) when you book. It can also work to your detriment.

I think the last change I saw (or that was reflected in the cruise I was looking at) was around March. I would expect another adjustment around June/July, but HAL may do it more often depending upon the volatility and the cost for them to have the protection in exchange rate fluctuation.

It is worth doing the math as it can be worthwhile paying in U.S. $ (especially if you have a crystal ball) . It can also be a huge savings to book in Canadian depending upon timing.

Thanks for all the expert speculation; I would assume that any adjustments would be for all cruises rather than those not selling well.

It's my impression that the three lines we cruise: HAL, Princess and Celebrity, are willing to absorb a 10% differential. It's just a matter of purchase timing, and while we keep a US dollar account we use that for pre and post cruise stays.

Ruth

Right now our dollar has gone up 11% since last Nov and the HAL price in USD converted to CAD is almost exactly what the HAL quoted CAD pricing is.

If our dollar continues to rise, we would be better off paying in US dollars at this point. The only way to be sure you were on the right side of the bargain would be to pay in full when you make that decision to pay in USD or CAD.

Catherine

We usually buy a cruise either just outside or inside the final payment window. This means that we have to pay immediately.

We typically get a quote from our US based on line TA and we get two quotes from a Canadian TA-one in CAD and one in USD.

I can only think of one occasion where we placed the business with the Canadian TA. In all other cases, the price, adjusted for currency, was always better by buying in the US in USD. I realize that it is different if you are buying well in advance of the cruise but it is something that we do not do any more.

We usually buy a cruise either just outside or inside the final payment window. This means that we have to pay immediately.

In all other cases, the price, adjusted for currency, was always better by buying in the US in USD. I realize that it is different if you are buying well in advance of the cruise but it is something that we do not do any more.

We're long range planners so we can choose the best of the modest cabins in which we travel. We've never tried a US TA but it's something to consider.

We have to also balance flight costs which could mitigate any cruise savings by booking after final payments.

Ruth

Ifyou buy in Cdn, from a Cdn TA there is no charge extra on your credit card. If you buy in US dollars from a us ,or a Canadian TA there is a credit card charge for converting the money from US$ to CDN $. It can be as much as 3.5% on top of the exchange rate..

Ifyou buy in Cdn, from a Cdn TA there is no charge extra on your credit card. If you buy in US dollars from a us ,or a Canadian TA there is a credit card charge for converting the money from US$ to CDN $. It can be as much as 3.5% on top of the exchange rate..

I assume this wouldn't be the case if you use a Visa in American dollars.

Ruth

We use a credit card, Chase Bank Canada Visa, that does not tack on the 2.5 percent admin fee on foreign currency charges. The exchange comes across at the prevailing rate.

The airlines have, in our experience, one of the very best exchange rates. We have booked with AA and United in the past and had them convert a USD fare to CAD. The rate they use seems even better than the prevailing FX rates. Have not done this for two years so it may have changed with the mergers that both have undergone.

Edited by iancal